Truck drivers?

Guest larrikin

Guest larrikin

I currently work in IT support but get the impression there are not to many jobs at the moment in Adelaide, so when we arrive I'm going to be a bit proactive and get my truck license but have a couple of questions for any truck drivers around Adelaide.

1. Is there much work currently?

2. If I do my Heavy Rigid License as soon as I arrive does this automatically give me the LR and MR license as the old HGV 1 would have covered you for HGV 2 & 3?

Thanks in advance

Guest John Alderson

There is plenty of truck opportunities. Look at the SARTA web site, they have businesses listed that are members. I work in transport industry and there are long haul and short haul opportunities, plenty also head to the mines.

If you have a uk license you can do a fast track to the equivalent of a class 1 in the UK.

the full license here must be passed in a b double with an eaton road ranger gearbox. If you pass in a ZF you can only drive a ZF similar to an auto license in the UK. Exempt a ZF is a manual.

Guest larrikin
There is plenty of truck opportunities. Look at the SARTA web site, they have businesses listed that are members. I work in transport industry and there are long haul and short haul opportunities, plenty also head to the mines.

Thanks that's really good to hear.

If you have a uk license you can do a fast track to the equivalent of a class 1 in the UK.

the full license here must be passed in a b double with an eaton road ranger gearbox. If you pass in a ZF you can only drive a ZF similar to an auto license in the UK. Exempt a ZF is a manual.

Haven't got any truck license yet planning on doing it ASAP after we arrive.

2. If I do my Heavy Rigid License as soon as I arrive does this automatically give me the LR and MR license?

Yes it will. The only possible "gotcha" is whether the powers-that-be count your UK licence towards the requirement of having held a Class C equivalent licence for two years or more or whether you have to have held an actual Aussie Class C for two years.

Dunno about lots of work though. When I obtained my HC licence I still couldn't get a job as everyone here wants applicants to have loads of experience. Bit of a Catch 22. Ended up driving a bus. Job market here sucks in my view.

Guest larrikin
Yes it will. The only possible "gotcha" is whether the powers-that-be count your UK licence towards the requirement of having held a Class C equivalent licence for two years or more or whether you have to have held an actual Aussie Class C for two years.

Dunno about lots of work though. When I obtained my HC licence I still couldn't get a job as everyone here wants applicants to have loads of experience. Bit of a Catch 22. Ended up driving a bus. Job market here sucks in my view.

Thanks for the reply.............................

Going to be heading to Perth at his rate :sad:

I currently work in IT support but get the impression there are not to many jobs at the moment in Adelaide, so when we arrive I'm going to be a bit proactive and get my truck license but have a couple of questions for any truck drivers around Adelaide.

While having an additional skill is a good backup plan, you may find you are able to secure IT work. There is IT work around it depends on what your specific skills and experience are. I am not sure as an inexperienced driver how successful you would be securing work in the mines. The mines are difficult to get into and often it is a case of someone recommending you for the role. There is plenty of work for bus drivers so that could be an option to look into.

Guest larrikin
While having an additional skill is a good backup plan, you may find you are able to secure IT work. There is IT work around it depends on what your specific skills and experience are. I am not sure as an inexperienced driver how successful you would be securing work in the mines. The mines are difficult to get into and often it is a case of someone recommending you for the role. There is plenty of work for bus drivers so that could be an option to look into.

Hi Jessica haven't said I'd want to work in the mines last thing I want to do is work away from my family, just looking at other options..........................unfortunately Adelaide is looking less likely for us, my wife is a mental health nurse and there doesn't seem to be any jobs for her either.