Help and Advice from Adelaide Primary School Teachers

Guest Debz

Hello,

I have now been in Adelaide for two weeks having migrated from the UK where I was in my 4th year as a Primary school teacher.

I have just put in my registration for the TRB and am now looking for any advice about getting work as a teacher. Are there any employment agencies I should sign with.

Any help and advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks

Debz

Guest Watkinsfamily

Hi, I have been here since July last year so still quite new but try registering with Switch and Ranstad for TRT work the only real way to get a 'proper' job is to do TRT then hope to get offered a contract and then if really lucky you may get a permanent post but they seem to be rare - the ones advertised seem to go teachers already on a contract or doing TRT in that school already. Good luck if you find any tips please spa them on. Hope you are settling in well.

Hi, I have been here since July last year so still quite new but try registering with Switch and Ranstad for TRT work the only real way to get a 'proper' job is to do TRT then hope to get offered a contract and then if really lucky you may get a permanent post but they seem to be rare - the ones advertised seem to go teachers already on a contract or doing TRT in that school already. Good luck if you find any tips please spa them on. Hope you are settling in well.

Thank you. Have you had much TRT work?

Guest Watkinsfamily

This term has yet to produce any TRT work but then start of the year hopefully teachers are not off sick! Last year I picked up a short contract at a local school and had some days TRT. You can also register with the department of education to do TRT in state schools - I have not done this yet. Good luck

Hi Debz

TRT will be slow at the moment because teachers are fit and well!

Once you have your authority to teach and TRB certificate, just call up all your local schools (including Catholic schools) and ask them how you can register with them .. they will invite you in - sometimes the DP might want to meet you to suss you out but not always! Agencies just take all your money. Tell schools you are happy to teach 6/7 because those slots are harder to fill with good teachers ... Say yes to half days (to 12 and from 12, not like home ...) go into the staff room even if you are scared(!) and chat as much as possible. This all worked for me 4 years ago where I was turning away work and has worked for me since I came back last year. I now have a year contract in a great school in a year 7 class... It is not luck .. you have to put yourself out there a bit, but it does pay off..

good luck

Ails

Hi Debz

TRT will be slow at the moment because teachers are fit and well!

Once you have your authority to teach and TRB certificate, just call up all your local schools (including Catholic schools) and ask them how you can register with them .. they will invite you in - sometimes the DP might want to meet you to suss you out but not always! Agencies just take all your money. Tell schools you are happy to teach 6/7 because those slots are harder to fill with good teachers ... Say yes to half days (to 12 and from 12, not like home ...) go into the staff room even if you are scared(!) and chat as much as possible. This all worked for me 4 years ago where I was turning away work and has worked for me since I came back last year. I now have a year contract in a great school in a year 7 class... It is not luck .. you have to put yourself out there a bit, but it does pay off..

good luck

Ails

Hi Ails,

Thank you, this has been very useful and good to hear some positive news that there is work out there. The TRB have said my certificate should be ready by the end of this week and I have already made a list of the state schools that are within 30 minutes so will look at finding independent and catholic schools as well then when my certificate comes through I will be ready to pounce!

All the best

Debz