New nursing registration regulations

Guest abi craig

Guest abi craig

Hi, my husband is a registered mental health nurse in the uk. his application for australian registration to APHRA was made in aug 2013. a friend of ours who now lives in brisbane is having difficulty getting her australian registration due to new rules where nursing qualifications gained overseas have to equal the australian masters degree in nursing (i would have thought this was the case anyway!). I have read this morning that a uk advanced diploma is as good as australian masters, but we are so unsure. Andy (my husband) has phoned APHRA several times now and other than being told his application is nearly completed we don't seem to be able to get any other info. He has a case officer (who has not returned any calls or emails, and always seems to out of the office) so that doen't help. The wait has been like torture but now its torture with a possibility of no registration! Does anyone know of the new legislation and able to give us some info on this subject.

Sorry this is such a long winded thread but if I don't get some info (and some sun!) soon I think I might just go crazy!!!!!:wacko:

by the way, Andy has an advanced diploma in nursing, and the new legislation only came into effect on 10th feb2014.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Well Abi i don't know anyone who has registered or regegistered in the last two weeks but i cannot imagine that the uk qualification will no longer be enough as there would suddenly be third less nurses here able to work!........

Its difficult i know but try to stay calm and wait i think if this was the case it would have been not only all over this forum ie nurses that were no longer classed as qualified here but also all over the news.

claire:cute:

Guest abi craig

Thanks for your words of reassurance Claire, much needed at the moment and very much appreciated! We have planned and dreamt of this for 3 years now, so would be devastating to lose it all now so close too!!!

Guest Spratnat

Hi, thanks for putting this post up as i hadn't realised that new changes have been made! I have just read the new anmac regulations and i am really worried now that i do not meet the new requirements. I did the project 2000 nursing and received a diploma for this, I was under the impression that this was the same as an australian degree?? I am really confused now and i am not finding their website very helpful. Also i don't get point 8, about studying medicines etc, I have iv study days at my place of work but does this count as its not from my place of education?!?! I need some help too if anyone has any more news on this!!! Nat

• 1 month later...
Guest abi craig

Great news, part one of our move complete!!!! Andy has his registration with APHRA (its only taken them since last september!!), the next step is to find work, so we are still hoping for all your support and advice!!! (sorry everyone!!) Andy is a mental health nurse who is very experienced in drug and alcohol nursing and forensic nursing. has anyone got any tips on finding work/sponsor in order to secure a 457 visa.

Great news, part one of our move complete!!!! Andy has his registration with APHRA (its only taken them since last september!!), the next step is to find work, so we are still hoping for all your support and advice!!! (sorry everyone!!) Andy is a mental health nurse who is very experienced in drug and alcohol nursing and forensic nursing. has anyone got any tips on finding work/sponsor in order to secure a 457 visa.

Im a mental health nurse and have been working in the Eastern suburbs in a CMHT for the last two and a half years. I was sponsored on a 457 by SA Health and would advise you to go for a permanent visa instead. Good luck

Guest Claire-n-tel
Im a mental health nurse and have been working in the Eastern suburbs in a CMHT for the last two and a half years. I was sponsored on a 457 by SA Health and would advise you to go for a permanent visa instead. Good luck

Hi Jaynem!.....not everyone is able to or indeed wants to apply for a permanent residency visa. Why would you advise this anyway?

Guest Claire-n-tel
The actual and real difficulties of 457 pain can not be written in a forum because of the social media rules and regulations.

Not really sure what you mean Pop about the rules??......The 457 is a visa that is not right for everyone, but for some it maybe the right choice

Guest abi craig

Wish we had gone for permanent visa 2 yrs ago! but we didnt so only 457 option left as we can't live in uk freezing cold limbo for much longer!! we will be going for permanent visa when we get to oz tho. we are so glad to get APHRA registration and feel we have passed a major milestone in the moving process, next up a sponsor then onwards to a visa!!! (how positive do i sound!!)