Question about teaching skills

Reena1991

Hi, hoping someone can answer my question. We are in the middle of applying for SS and OH has just passed his skills test as a mechanic. We are getting the visa based solely on his occupation, no points are coming from my occupation as a primary teacher.

My question is this: once we arrive, can I just register as a teacher in South Aus, do the required first aid and police checks and start doing relief work or do my skills need to be assessed by AITSL, the oz teacher skills assessment agency? Our migration agent says no as we are not using my occupation for the visa but I wanted to check as don't want to arrive and then find out that I do need to do it as it will be so much harder to get all the required paperwork over there. Am really hoping I don't have to have skills assessed as it's more money to spend out and another load of paperwork to deal with!!

Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks for reading!:biggrin:

I'm here on my husbands visa and we are both teachers but we both had to have the skills assessment to register - this takes about 6 weeks. When you get here you have to do a safeguarding course and if you want to work in catholic schools you need first aid too - you then register with trb who do oz police check and this takes about 3 weeks! Hope that helps - it's all so confusing isn't it! X

Guest Adelaide_bound

You need to have your qualifications assessed by the TRB here in SA, and get your First Aid Cert and Mandatory Training Cert, but after that you can register no issues - the AITSL are completely separate from the Teachers Rego board and their assessment - the TRB weren't at all interested in my paperwork from AITSL, its not an issue if you have it done, or not done, at all for SA :) (I believe for the other states as well, but I only have experience personally of going through the system here in SA)

AITSL ONLY assess for migration purposes, so nothing to do with the TRB. Once you're here etc, you'll find out most things are in their own little box and not wonderfully transferable or useful for any other purpose other than that original, single, purpose, which can be a good thing, or a bad thing depending on your point of view at the time lol.

Any help/hints on teaching work etc over here, including the rego process for all schools, have a look at my blog, I've done a few posts on the matter as I couldn't find anything up to date last year when I was doing it and it sort of confused me a bit as I heard various different things from various different sources :)

Thanks for the replies Bubbl and Adelaide_bound. Can you tell me what the TRB needed for the skills assessment? Remember looking into getting my skills assessed originally by AITSL and they wanted LOTS of paperwork like transcripts of degrees etc, do the TRB require this or do they just need certificates? Great news that I can do it while in the uk, now to find the time to do it with a toddler and a baby!! Do you remember how much it all cost? Skills assessed, first aid, police checks? Aldso what is the mandatory training cert?

Il have a look at your blog Adelaide_bound so I don't keep asking questions!

You need to get all of your certificates and transcripts and ID certified by a solicitor or notary public. Can't remember how much it cost for assessment - think about $100-200.

English police heck about £100 but needs to be a different one to the one for the visa unfortunately.

First aid and mandatory training (safeguarding) cost about $100 each and can only be done in oz.

After you have done all that and come to register it is $295 to finally dot the last I and cross the last t!

Check out the TRB of SOuth Australia website as there is a form to download on there.

ACPO is the website for the police check in England.

Good luck with it all and honestly ask as many questions as you like - I doubt I would have made it here without the help from people on this forum.

Guest Adelaide_bound
Thanks for the replies Bubbl and Adelaide_bound. Can you tell me what the TRB needed for the skills assessment? Remember looking into getting my skills assessed originally by AITSL and they wanted LOTS of paperwork like transcripts of degrees etc, do the TRB require this or do they just need certificates? Great news that I can do it while in the uk, now to find the time to do it with a toddler and a baby!! Do you remember how much it all cost? Skills assessed, first aid, police checks? Aldso what is the mandatory training cert?

Il have a look at your blog Adelaide_bound so I don't keep asking questions!

You can do it from he uk but to be honest, it's far cheaper to do it when you get here ( as you can have all your documents certified for no cost here, really easy and instant to get done - the trb want the same documents that the Aitsl wanted apart from your IELTS certificate) and it doesn't take very long for it to be assessed...think it was a couple of weeks,if that, for the overseas qualification assessment and then another couple of weeks for my actual rego to come through depending on when you come over it might be holidays anyway so you could have it done whilst schools are out anyway ( the trb aren't closed in school holidays). The qualification assessment cost me $110 back in May last year, but up to date costs will be on the trb website.

You have to pay for the uk police check whatever ( and for an Ozzie one too once you are here, that is part of the rego application) but it's valid for 12 months so you could get that done just before you come out - I think I saved in the region of £750 I was quoted to get my many many many transcripts and degree Certs etc certified in the uk - but was completely free here. You can't do the rego until you get here anyway though as you need to do the south Australia first aid and mandatory training course here and therefore can't put in your rego application until you are here and have done them (details in detail on my. Log about where to go for them....sorry can't remember off the top of my head exactly what's accepted by the trb for those). First aid and mandatory training were in the region of around $100/$150 each ( it's cheaper to do the online first aid course), the Ozzie police check is part of the trb rego fee ( which can be found on the SA TRB website). Mandatory training is child protection training, it's a one day course, very similar to child protection in the uk really, but more of a requirement over here and you are responsible for it not your school. Hopefully more answers on the blog lol it's been a few months :D

http://sendusdownunder.com/making-a-home-in-australia/registering-as-a-teacher-in-south-australia/

that at should have each little step listed, click on the links in each section to see in more detail exactly what to do for that bit :)

bubbl - confused about your comments on the police check - mine was the same ( although I had to get an updated one as we had been traveling for 18 months and the one I used for the visa was woefully out of date by then unfortunately)

Edited by Adelaide_bound

I can only tell you my experience which was skills assessment they quote 6 weeks to complete think it took about 4 and my husbands reg just come through after 3 weeks here. Just to give you an idea of current waiting times. Also we negotiated with a solicitor to sign all copies for £50 for both my husband and I so may be worth shopping about for quotes if you want to do it prior to arrival.

Anyways suppose there are positives and negatives on both sides and just do whatever is best for you and your family! It was better for us to do it before we arrived as my husband starts his job on Monday which he couldn't have been applied for if he hadn't already done things in the uk.

Adelaide bound - love your blog it's fantastic! Wish I'd found it sooner! :)

I think I saved in the region of £750 I was quoted to get my many many many transcripts and degree Certs etc certified in the uk - but was completely free here.

Also, re above, might seem like a very silly question but how do you get the transcripts for degrees and PGCE? Do you just ring your uni and ask for them and if so, did you find that they knew what you needed and get them to you quite quickly or did they not really know what you needed and take a long time sorting it out?

Edited by Reena1991

I think I saved in the region of £750 I was quoted to get my many many many transcripts and degree Certs etc certified in the uk - but was completely free here.

Also, re above, might seem like a very silly question but how do you get the transcripts for degrees and PGCE? Do you just ring your uni and ask for them and if so, did you find that they knew what you needed and get them to you quite quickly or did they not really know what you needed and take a long time sorting it out?

They usually provide you with a transcript when you get your degree certificate so check it's not behind in a plastic wallet or something - if it's not there then you ring the Uni and they post you out a copy - there is nearly always a charge for this! My husband was charged £30 but I'm sure it varies massively!

We also had to get a letter from our pgce Uni saying how many teaching days were completed in the course for the TRB. :)

bubbl - confused about your comments on the police check - mine was the same ( although I had to get an updated one as we had been traveling for 18 months and the one I used for the visa was woefully out of date by then unfortunately)

My husband emailed TRB and they said it had to be a different police check - one for the visa is a police certificate and the one for the TRB is an international child protection certificate (ICPC) - TRB was was more expensive. Unless we were poorly advised by TRB I'm not sure but that's what they said and what we did! :)