Job Hunt - What to do to stay positive? Advice

Guest ColinOz

Its soo hard.... I too am in the same state of mind! I just keep applying and getting knock backs! I have a 3rd interview tomorrow... On a positive i have been signed up with an agency and am looking at volunteering to try and make myself employable... Good luck with the hunt

Today I attended an information session for the new arrivals, there at South Australia State Office in Currie street. It was interesting, they gave us a lot of informations on job hunting, training courses and similar.

But the thing that made me feel more positive is taking a look at all the people around me, they were all brand new arrivals, looking for a job and a place in this country.

I felt I'm not alone, and it's a good sensation when you're down.

I have have been continuously working since arriving in Adelaide in February 2010. But in August 2013 I was laid off. I have applied for 493 jobs and only had 5 interviews. I am qualified experienced Health Professional and Trainer with a Masters and 2 degrees. Australia is in a recession and I am getting really frustrated with applying for jobs when I know full well I would be extremely competent in the job but don't even gain a response. But heads up and keep trying.....

ColinOz, I would tell you the same thing I tell the kids I know:

Don't take it personally.

Unless you've had a previous problem working in Adelaide, people won't know you from a bar of soap. Any decision not to invite you to interview or offer you a job cannot, therefore, be personal.

Customise your resumé and letter to the position you are applying for. Be proactive in your search but remember that there are probably a good few people competing for the job. I am sure you've asked for feedback when an application is knocked back but if not, why not try?

Not having a job is not a reflection on you, your abilities, competancy or quality of your application. It can be as simple as one job but a couple of hundred applicants.

LC

We liked you and Paul too LC. We'll have to catch up again soon - tell Paul if he wants to have a tour around the project to see what we're up to no problem.......saying that he's probably not as geeky as me about construction and prefers to spend his free time doing more fun stuff but the offer is there!