Mechanical Engineer demand ??

Guest mrsbailey87

Guest mrsbailey87

My husband and I are looking into which state we would like to relocate to and at the moment we are looking between SA and VIC.

My husband is a mechanical designer/technician. He is just completing his engineering qualification but already has a degree in a similar field. We have had his quals/ experience passed through engineers australia we now need to select a state for sponsorship.

i have trawled the job search web pages and can find jobs relating to his line of work but I just wondered if anyone out there already knew what the demand in this role is like on the ground so to speak.

he has experience in piping and oil and gas also.

i found plenty if roles in my line of work (property management/real estate) so I am

it to concerned about me finding a suitable job, I'd give anything a go really

any info would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

I'm a mechanical designer too, and I am struggling more than I expected to get my first Australian job.

In about four weeks of job search I've found a dozen of suitable ads on seek.com.au, then I applied for and had just a couple of (negative) answers.

If it wasn't the four seasons in a day city, I'd definitely choose Melbourne, 'cause there's plenty of vacations in our field there.

Guest mrsbailey87

That's is what we are finding. We have looked at the job opportunities in both and there definitely seems to be more demand in Melbourne. We are just a little cautious because we need State Sponsership and I believe VIC have the highest rejection rate!!

also we have friends moving to SA from NSW so thT gives us someone to stay with why we find a suitable role, but if the jobs Arnt there it's not worth it surely.

Are you finding plenty of jobs to apply for ? Im sure if u keep knocking at the door you will get a role very soon. Good luck with your search

Guest ColinOz
My husband and I are looking into which state we would like to relocate to and at the moment we are looking between SA and VIC.

My husband is a mechanical designer/technician. He is just completing his engineering qualification but already has a degree in a similar field. We have had his quals/ experience passed through engineers australia we now need to select a state for sponsorship.

i have trawled the job search web pages and can find jobs relating to his line of work but I just wondered if anyone out there already knew what the demand in this role is like on the ground so to speak.

he has experience in piping and oil and gas also.

i found plenty if roles in my line of work (property management/real estate) so I am

it to concerned about me finding a suitable job, I'd give anything a go really

any info would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Go to Vic, it would be hard, but not as hard as SA.

The weather is crazy, but I prefer to wear a coat to work than to be unemployed in a sunny day

Edited by ColinOz

Your oil and gas experience will be the thing to focus on most - bear in mind that both SA and VIC have recently heard they are losing very large employers (Holden and Toyota) in the engineering fields, so the market will quickly be pretty much saturated in both states with out of work engineers looking for a job, and you will be competing with them.