Supply teaching

Reena1991

Hi,

we will hopefully be arriving in spring 2015. I am a primary teacher (on mat leave at the mo) and understand that securing a permanent teaching post is very unlikely. So can anyone tell me how much supply teachers can earn? And if there is much hope for getting supply work?

Guest Basil
Hi,

we will hopefully be arriving in spring 2015. I am a primary teacher (on mat leave at the mo) and understand that securing a permanent teaching post is very unlikely. So can anyone tell me how much supply teachers can earn? And if there is much hope for getting supply work?

Hi....

I would like to help you in your issue but really i don't have any idea about your topic i think because i'm student ....:jiggy:

Edited by Basil

Guest Curlie

I've just got out here and I'm a secondary teacher...although I cant help too much with the pay stuff as I haven't started working yet, make sure that you have everything you need in order to register to teach. I had all of my documents and the process is still taking over two months...

Here is the website for the Teacher's Registration Board http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/new-applicant#t18n279 You will probably need to have your qualifications assessed (I did, even though I'm on a skilled visa with Teaching as my skill!) before you can go through registration. Whilst I was waiting for the qualification assessment, I did the Mandatory Notification Child Protection training so I could send off my registration as soon as the first stage was cleared. And now I'm just waiting...!

Hope this is helpful x

I've just got out here and I'm a secondary teacher...although I cant help too much with the pay stuff as I haven't started working yet, make sure that you have everything you need in order to register to teach. I had all of my documents and the process is still taking over two months...

Here is the website for the Teacher's Registration Board http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/new-applicant#t18n279 You will probably need to have your qualifications assessed (I did, even though I'm on a skilled visa with Teaching as my skill!) before you can go through registration. Whilst I was waiting for the qualification assessment, I did the Mandatory Notification Child Protection training so I could send off my registration as soon as the first stage was cleared. And now I'm just waiting...!

Hope this is helpful x

hi I am in the same position as you everything taking a long time. I have to do a first aid course before I can teach and even though I am waiting for my TRB to go through I have also gad to register with South Australia teaching board as well. Have you done these x

Guest Curlie

Exactly the same, such a pain! I just need to do my first aid course :( once that's done I can send off my application to the Dept. of Education, that's the bit where you state subjects you're able to teach, ideal locations, full or part time etc... and THEN they provide you with an 'Authority to Teach' letter...THEN you're good to go! It's a frustrating process :( x

Exactly the same, such a pain! I just need to do my first aid course :( once that's done I can send off my application to the Dept. of Education, that's the bit where you state subjects you're able to teach, ideal locations, full or part time etc... and THEN they provide you with an 'Authority to Teach' letter...THEN you're good to go! It's a frustrating process :( x

Hi

enjoy the the waiting I am hoping for the end of Easter hols doing the first aid during Easter. Good luck keep in touch

kathy

Guest mikeplanb

Hi guys,

Coming over in 3 weeks. I've done all my TRB paperwork from England, just need to do the child protection course, booked in for the 7th May.

BUT I haven't booked myself in for a first aid course, which seems to be mandatory. Does anyone know if it is?

Also, is there a specific first aid course you have to do in order to be able to teach in SA? There are loads of different types of first aid courses it seems-don't want to book myself onto the wrong one!

Hi guys,

Coming over in 3 weeks. I've done all my TRB paperwork from England, just need to do the child protection course, booked in for the 7th May.

BUT I haven't booked myself in for a first aid course, which seems to be mandatory. Does anyone know if it is?

Also, is there a specific first aid course you have to do in order to be able to teach in SA? There are loads of different types of first aid courses it seems-don't want to book myself onto the wrong one!

Hi

It is compulsory to do the First Aid course to teach in SA. It's the BELS course 9-5 $90, you can book it through Red Cross College. You will still need to rgister with SA Teaching Board as well as the TRB. Everything takes it's time in SA. I am waiting for Police Check foe my TRB could take up to 6 weeks. When it comes to certifying certificates and signing infront of JP use the one in Grenfell Street Chesser Chambers they are free and don't need an appointment.

Hope this helps a little

Kathy

When it comes to certifying certificates and signing infront of JP use the one in Grenfell Street Chesser Chambers they are free and don't need an appointment.

There are JP's all over the suburbs and country SA

http://www.agd.sa.gov.au/citizens/legal-services/justice-peace-services/find-justice-peace-jp.

I have never had to pay any to sign or attest and most in council offices or MP's offices are available "on demand" within working hours.

Guest Curlie
Hi guys,

As you've already heard, things are a bit slow here :) So yes, you've probably done the qualifications assessment for the TRB but then you still have to do the full registration once you've done the CP training...such a pain! You can start registering with the DECD whenever and just upload your info / certificates as you go, you cant finalise with them until you have your TRB and yes you will need to do First Aid as mentioned.

Kathy, I'm doing my First Aid course over Easter too, hoping for a similar time frame! I booked via CHESS, links on the DECD website and as its school hols and limited dates it only $52, just worth a look at maybe?

Kate

As you've already heard, things are a bit slow here :) So yes, you've probably done the qualifications assessment for the TRB but then you still have to do the full registration once you've done the CP training...such a pain! You can start registering with the DECD whenever and just upload your info / certificates as you go, you cant finalise with them until you have your TRB and yes you will need to do First Aid as mentioned.

Kathy, I'm doing my First Aid course over Easter too, hoping for a similar time frame! I booked via CHESS, links on the DECD website and as its school hols and limited dates it only $52, just worth a look at maybe?

Kate

Hi kate

thanks for the message but booked already for the 15th wish I had used the link though x

Guest mikeplanb

Great advice everyone-thanks so much. I've now booked in a first aid course on 6th May. With the process being so slow, I'm now reckoning on it taking 8 weeks from the child protection and first aid courses to being ready to teach with all the paperwork in hand. So I'm going to look for short term work doing whatever for a few months once the jetlag's gone!

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Hi

just updating messages. Working as a TRT now for the last 4 weeks and have only had 2 days off, so there is work about and also turning down approx 3 jobs a day. Be warned you get about $100 a day less in a private school if you are on tier 9 for state. There is a vast difference between some state and independent schools. I must say I am loving it. Schools very different to yo the UK but in a good week x x x

kathy

Did you contact schools individually or go through agency? What do you teach?

I'm trying to do supply while waiting for my dr registration but decd didn't email me the letter go 2 months! So I'm just wondering where you are finding work? Thanks :)

Did you contact schools individually or go through agency? What do you teach?

I'm trying to do supply while waiting for my dr registration but decd didn't email me the letter go 2 months! So I'm just wondering where you are finding work? Thanks :)

Hi bubbl

went to all the schools no agencies. Primary R -7. There is plenty of work out there.

kathy

Guest ally
Hi,

Hi,

In short you're right about permanency, the system is very different. I'm a secondary teacher, however I do work in a reception to year 12 school. Supply (TRT) is available and a lot of teachers do it as I know jobs are hard to get. In saying this it all depends on your experience and a bit of luck. Your best bet is to get registered with the TRB first and then look at the schools in your chosen area. On the school websites there is normally a section for TRT work (under employment). You basically fill out a form and register with the school direct. You must have a TRB number, a mandatory training certificate, and if applying at a Catholic school, a certificate for this also.

I did TRT for a short period. I found work every day. The pay was basically around $250-$300 a day (I can't remember exactly). It took me no time at all to get a job, so think positive.

I hope this helps.

Ally

Hi

I am also a teacher and am moving out to Adelaide at the end of this term. It has not been easy getting my teaching registration (included a visit to Adelaide at Easter) but finally achieved. On my visit I met another teacher from England who has just moved over, and am still in touch with. She says you can get 300 dollars a day for supply, I am registering with switch education a supply agency and they will pay 200 dollars a day.

Hope that helps, if I can help in any way just ask.

Daviesfamily

Hi,

In short you're right about permanency, the system is very different. I'm a secondary teacher, however I do work in a reception to year 12 school. Supply (TRT) is available and a lot of teachers do it as I know jobs are hard to get. In saying this it all depends on your experience and a bit of luck. Your best bet is to get registered with the TRB first and then look at the schools in your chosen area. On the school websites there is normally a section for TRT work (under employment). You basically fill out a form and register with the school direct. You must have a TRB number, a mandatory training certificate, and if applying at a Catholic school, a certificate for this also.

I did TRT for a short period. I found work every day. The pay was basically around $250-$300 a day (I can't remember exactly). It took me no time at all to get a job, so think positive.

I hope this helps.

Ally

Thanks ally! Interesting that you don't have to rely on agencies for work and can go to schools directly, hopefully means more money!

Hi

I am also a teacher and am moving out to Adelaide at the end of this term. It has not been easy getting my teaching registration (included a visit to Adelaide at Easter) but finally achieved. On my visit I met another teacher from England who has just moved over, and am still in touch with. She says you can get 300 dollars a day for supply, I am registering with switch education a supply agency and they will pay 200 dollars a day.

Hope that helps, if I can help in any way just ask.

Daviesfamily

Hi, I, thanks for info, I'd be happy with 300 a day. Still debating whether to start supply teaching, prob 2 or 3 days a week, as soon as possible once we have arrived , which would mean putting my children in a nursery. But then I suppose that would mean sometimes paying for childcare when I might not have gotten work on that day. Other option I'm thinking about is tutoring in the evenings....oh so many decisions!!

Guest davistev

I am also a teacher. I arrived in Adelaide May 2010. I was registered with the TRB by August 2010. 2 days after be listed with DECD, I got a phone call for an immediate relief maternity coverage for two terms. While at that school I worked like a dog, no complaining, yes sir, no sir, the perfect teacher - the Principal never heard from me for the 4-5 months I was there. (they love a low maintenance teacher). I was then offered a country position for the next year - I accepted. 8 months later I was granted permanency. 3 years later I am in Adelaide as a permanent teacher.

If your flexible and go wherever the work is - your golden.