Job scenario and moving to Adelaide

path2aus

Hello All,

I have been contacting lots of recruiters in Adelaide and have email exchanges with them. Even though they think that my profile/experience is very strong, they say that there are lots of people out of job at the moment and they will consider people who are in Australia first. It is very interesting that when I contacted one of the recruiter, he was more than happy to submit my resume to a big bank in Brisbane and was very confident that I would get it but I had to decline it as I need to go to Adelaide.

It seems like other states are little more receptive to people overseas compared to SA....I know few people who even landed job from overseas in Sydney and Brisbane but Adelaide it has been very tough for anyone to even look at you resume if you are not there. Even if I move I am very worried if I would be able to land a job immediately. I have a steady job in the US which pays me well but I do want to move to Australia soon. It is a difficult position for me at the moment. Want to get some input from the forum members.

If I quit my current job in US and move to Australia (I have 10 years experience as Business/Systems Analyst and Project Lead), realistically how long will the wait be? I know it depends on person to person but I would like to hear some experiences.

Guest mactac

I would strongly discourage you. Adelaide is not just doing it tough it is impossible to find work. Need proof look on Seek (main jobs site here).

Compare similar positions in other states. Yes i know adelaide is small!! but still a population of a million, get real people. Perth could be compared

in terms of size and even though more isolated has much better prospects.

People on this site need to give people a realistic view. The jobs situation here is very tough and will not be getting better for many years.

Edited by mactac

Guest BurgessFamily

When I moved here 5 years ago, seek listed over 200 IT jobs in Melbourne compared to 22 that Adelaide had posted. I still came, and did get a job, it just might take that little longer. Just don't price yourself our of the market - realistic wage expectations and a willingness to 'go the extra distance' can go a long way.

Guest Guest12727
Hello All,

I have been contacting lots of recruiters in Adelaide and have email exchanges with them. Even though they think that my profile/experience is very strong, they say that there are lots of people out of job at the moment and they will consider people who are in Australia first. It is very interesting that when I contacted one of the recruiter, he was more than happy to submit my resume to a big bank in Brisbane and was very confident that I would get it but I had to decline it as I need to go to Adelaide.

It seems like other states are little more receptive to people overseas compared to SA....I know few people who even landed job from overseas in Sydney and Brisbane but Adelaide it has been very tough for anyone to even look at you resume if you are not there. Even if I move I am very worried if I would be able to land a job immediately. I have a steady job in the US which pays me well but I do want to move to Australia soon. It is a difficult position for me at the moment. Want to get some input from the forum members.

If I quit my current job in US and move to Australia (I have 10 years experience as Business/Systems Analyst and Project Lead), realistically how long will the wait be? I know it depends on person to person but I would like to hear some experiences.

There are several forum members who obtained employment prior to arriving in Adelaide, or within a couple of weeks due to the contacts they had set up prior to arriving. Hopefully some will come on with their individual stories.

I think it depends a lot on the industries you have experience in and whether your experience matches what SA needs at the moment

Guest mactac

Yes I understand that perspective.

But if you start getting into double digit unemployment figures sorry but you cannot put it down to people not trying.

I am not saying you are speaking from an Ivory tower, but because you are lucky to be in employment ..... telling people to pull their socks up is not good advice.

Good advice is telling people it will be difficult and there are better chances elsewhere.

My previous reply to your Adelaide property boom (sorry for not laughing) has been cut??

Edited by mactac

Guest Guest12727

But if you start getting into double digit unemployment figures

Last figures I saw we are still a long way off double digits as a whole across SA......

Yes it may be difficult, but not so sure that there are better chances elsewhere, surely it depends on skills and experience, and only the OP knows exactly what s/he is qualified for.

The OP also mentions that 'has to come to Adelaide' so I guess s/he needs to weigh up all the pros and cons as we don't know why they have to come here.

Edited by Guest12727

Guest mactac

/QUOTE]

Last figures I saw we are still a long way off double digits as a whole across SA......

Yes it may be difficult, but not so sure that there are better chances elsewhere, surely it depends on skills and experience, and only the OP knows exactly what s/he is qualified for.

The OP also mentions that 'has to come to Adelaide' so I guess s/he needs to weigh up all the pros and cons as we don't know why they have to come here.

A long way off double digits .... wrong

Here is an experiment for you. Look at all the jobs listed in SA / Adelaide on Seek the largest job listing site in the country.

The figure is 4200 (pop of 1 million !!)

Now click on the left hand side on how many are Full Time

All of a sudden figure is 2800

Unemployment figures are false.

I have never seen the amount of part time or casual work as I have here compared to full time actual jobs here in Adelaide.

I would say easily double digits.

As a test speak to any college graduate or parent of a school leaver here.

I think if you can pay rent, a mortgage, feed your family on part time or casual work well then yes yes employment rates are a long way of double digits

Unfortunately others have to live in the real world.

Edited by mactac

Guest Guest12727

A long way off double digits .... wrong

Here is an experiment for you. Look at all the jobs listed in SA / Adelaide on Seek the largest job listing site in the country.

The figure is 4200 (pop of 1 million !!)

Now click on the left hand side on how many are Full Time

All of a sudden figure is 2800

Unemployment figures are false.

I have never seen the amount of part time or casual work as I have here compared to full time actual jobs here in Adelaide.

I would say easily double digits.

As a test speak to any college graduate or parent of a school leaver here.

I think if you can pay rent, a mortgage, feed your family on part time or casual work well then yes yes employment rates are a long way of double digits

Unfortunately others have to live in the real world.

but surely this happens if you do the same 'experiment' with another state, or are you trying to tell me that other states only advertise full-time jobs?

Unfortunately it is a sign of the times, that there is a lot of casual work around - I work casually myself and would love a permanent position, but I won't be moving interstate to get one at this stage.

Guest mactac

How do you find work then.

Two tin cans a piece of string ?

I am talking about the average person, Seek is full of false jobs (everyone knows that) but it is still the biggest place for jobs listings

I only named it as an example. We are not all in IT each profession has its own avenues ..... again I just used it to illustrate

Part Time V Full Time work and massaging of employment figures.

You were quoting NAB a bank who published figures on a 'property boom' as you called it

HELLO they are a bank ... What else are they going to say- keep your money on the mattress

I have wasted enough time on this, your arguments are non sensical.

Edited by mactac

My previous reply to your Adelaide property boom (sorry for not laughing) has been cut??

Not that I can see. You've made 12 posts according to your profile and all 12 are on the forum.

Chances are if you wrote the post and submitted it, it may have failed to actually post for some reason or you didn't actually submit it perhaps.

I've got friends in HR and recruitment in Oz and back in the UK, both agencies "bank" job seekers on file and some charge for this privilege.

What's the best way to get information? .....create a job, advertise it and watch the CV's with all the personal information roll in, job falls through.

Your CV and details may be passed on or "sold" to other agencies in the industry for their recruitment purposes.

Hello All,

My OH got a job before moving over but he quit three months later because the boss was psycho. He got his current job by approaching the organisation directly and basically saying I've worked in your industry in the UK for the last ten years and I'm now here in Adelaide, can we help each other.

Seek has been mentioned in a previous post but this is not the only source of jobs. The government jobs often don't make it on to seek at all, google sa government jobs for the appropriate website. And then go through all the jobs as the filters and searches aren't great and you could miss the perfect job if you don't pick exactly the right thing to search on. Also check out the vacancy pages of all three Universities as they don't always put there jobs on seek either. Research the Australian companies in your current industry to see if any have a presence in Australia. Chances are they will be behind technically and will be trying to implement things you have experience of implementing. This will put you in a strong position to approach them directly, and is why my OH was offered a position even though there wasn't really one available at his level.

Don't be afraid to apply for fixed term contracts. These can often lead to permanent positions. I started out fixed term and I am now permanent and I know quite a few other people where I work that have done the same. Permanent positions that are advertised may already be being performed by someone on a fixed term contract and you would have to be ten times better than the incumbent to get the job as there is very much an attitude of stick with the devil you know here.

If you want to move then move, don't wait for a job. Once you have a date you will arrive you might find it easier to get an interview for something anyway. Forget agents and approach companies directly and network loads. Good luck.

Guest mactac

Maybe listen to this before considering the move. Posted by ABC very recently

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-12/more-unemployment-pain-for-sa/5385910

I hope my words of caution will not put people off coming to Adelaide.

But if you are not 100% sure of your employment chances choose Victoria, WA or NSW

without even blinking.

If you choose Adelaide, rent for the first year or two before laying down any roots

your job may not be here in a year and you will be stuck, possibly even with a decreasing asset.

Lets hope not.

Edited by mactac

/QUOTE]

The reason I need to come to Adelaide/SA is because I have a state sponsored PR. I have been in touch with lots of agents in Adelaide and I am not hearing anything positive from them. I do see that the recruiters from other state like the one I spoke with in Brisbane was happy to submit my resume to a big bank for a Business Analyst post. All the recruiters I speak with tell me that my resume/CV is impressive and my experience is great but unfortunately there are lot of people looking for jobs right now in the state.

That's the problem I am facing at the moment. I have a state sponsored visa so I need to make a conscious effort to live and settle in SA which is the reason I haven't applied to any jobs outside SA at the moment. There have been more than 200 jobs advertised in SA matching my skill set and experience which I have applied to over the last few months but I wasn't able to get through anything and I have spoken to lots of recruiters (50+ I guess) all of them say the same thing, "More people out of job and if you come to Adelaide we can work something". So that's the reason I posted the same, I am not sure about other industries but IT seems to be a real problem at the moment in SA.

My OH got a job before moving over but he quit three months later because the boss was psycho. He got his current job by approaching the organisation directly and basically saying I've worked in your industry in the UK for the last ten years and I'm now here in Adelaide, can we help each other.

Seek has been mentioned in a previous post but this is not the only source of jobs. The government jobs often don't make it on to seek at all, google sa government jobs for the appropriate website. And then go through all the jobs as the filters and searches aren't great and you could miss the perfect job if you don't pick exactly the right thing to search on. Also check out the vacancy pages of all three Universities as they don't always put there jobs on seek either. Research the Australian companies in your current industry to see if any have a presence in Australia. Chances are they will be behind technically and will be trying to implement things you have experience of implementing. This will put you in a strong position to approach them directly, and is why my OH was offered a position even though there wasn't really one available at his level.

Don't be afraid to apply for fixed term contracts. These can often lead to permanent positions. I started out fixed term and I am now permanent and I know quite a few other people where I work that have done the same. Permanent positions that are advertised may already be being performed by someone on a fixed term contract and you would have to be ten times better than the incumbent to get the job as there is very much an attitude of stick with the devil you know here.

If you want to move then move, don't wait for a job. Once you have a date you will arrive you might find it easier to get an interview for something anyway. Forget agents and approach companies directly and network loads. Good luck.

Thanks for the information..I need to make the move for sure. I probably will have to take the plunge in the coming months.

Guest Rachael M Bowen

You'll now find that in the UK most job vacancies are contracted 0 hrs, this is just the current practice for a lot of companies the world over. What you need to do is go out and find the right jobs... they will not come to you on a silver platter!!!!! Yes you may have to start at the bottom rung of the ladder but if you are a good as you say you are in your resume your skills will soon be recognised and up the ladder thou shall go.

I've been making contacts since I first started the visa process 18 months ago and with less than two months until I fly out, I've already arranged meetings with potential employers all of which have been extremely positive and supportive. I've arranged long distance telephone conversations where the managers have given up their time to give me useful advise. Like NicF said, go out and approach the companies that are suited to your skills, show a little initiative you never know. A guy in our local city stood on a very busy round about with a sandwich board detailing his skills and contact details.... he then got air time on the local radio and a week later was employed by a large company. Now I'm not saying go to this extreme but it is an example of you going for the job and not waiting for it to come to you..... or be prepared to do anything and go that extra mile.....or in even more layman's terms.....Get off your ar*e!!!

Guest mactac
You'll now find that in the UK most job vacancies are contracted 0 hrs, this is just the current practice for a lot of companies the world over. What you need to do is go out and find the right jobs... they will not come to you on a silver platter!!!!! Yes you may have to start at the bottom rung of the ladder but if you are a good as you say you are in your resume your skills will soon be recognised and up the ladder thou shall go.

I've been making contacts since I first started the visa process 18 months ago and with less than two months until I fly out, I've already arranged meetings with potential employers all of which have been extremely positive and supportive. I've arranged long distance telephone conversations where the managers have given up their time to give me useful advise. Like NicF said, go out and approach the companies that are suited to your skills, show a little initiative you never know. A guy in our local city stood on a very busy round about with a sandwich board detailing his skills and contact details.... he then got air time on the local radio and a week later was employed by a large company. Now I'm not saying go to this extreme but it is an example of you going for the job and not waiting for it to come to you..... or be prepared to do anything and go that extra mile.....or in even more layman's terms.....Get off your ar*e!!!

Yes Yes forget the sending out a CV.........that is weak

..as you say

yes stand on the road wearing sandwich board with a message 'job needed'

get some air time on local radio

and start calling potential employers 18 months in advance before arriving

oh and get off your ar*e

(for all those good for nothings who intend to fly 13,000 miles to lay about)

if Real unemployment is so high in Adelaide why are they even letting migrants in at the moment

my guess is revenue and not real skills shortage

I can feel your enthusiasm from here believe me but guessing I would not want to turn my back on you

in the work place ....... as you arrive with your 'up the ladder thou shall go' attitude.

I am guess thatcherism is still living and breathing.

Edited by mactac

Guest Rachael M Bowen

1. I'm not your friend no likely ever to be your friend !!!!

2. If it's so savage why are you still there???????

3. Are you comfortable in your job and just want to lord it up over everyone else?

Guest mactac

1. Good

2. Where exactly do you think I am ? because its's none of your bees wax

3. Again not relevant and again none of your business.

I'm not here to mud sling or to fight with a keyword warrior.

I'm sure it's not allowed or acceptable on this forum, perhaps I was guilty of it.

For that I am sorry.

That is really my final word. Feel free to have your parting shots

because I'm not engaging further.

In the words of Ringo

Peace and Love

Edited by mactac