Anybody got any advice on how to get work in adelaide

Guest Sharon & Paul

Guest Sharon & Paul

Hi We moved to Adelaide in November 2013. My husband is a carpenter and found work straight away and our 12 year old daughter has settled in school and met loads of friends. However I am struggling to find work. I was a Lecturer and programme manager/division leader in a great college in Liverpool and worked there very successfully for 15 years. I have applied for many jobs even administration jobs and cannot get a job. Can anyone please give me any advice on what to do. we live in woodcraft and love it here but without a job it wont be possible for us to stay. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sharon

Guest Guest12727

What field did you lecture in? Have you found out which unis here teach a similar program? It is worth contacting the head of school to see if there is any casual tutoring work, this will often get you a foot in the door. If you look on the uni websites at jobs available they sometimes ask for expressions of interest into casual teaching pool.

When looking on Seek.com.au, select the sub classification 'Other'. I find there are a lot of interesting looking jobs in that section that they didn't know where else to put - these are often looking for more diverse skills.

If you have registered with agencies, don't assume they will put you forward for jobs - they don't. Look at job sites yourself and if there is something appealing through an agency you have registered with, contact them to ask to be put forward for the position. They will always put forward people they have placed previously as they know their reliability, so you need to keep in the forefront of their minds.

Good luck

Guest Sharon & Paul

Thank you s much for your brilliant advice. I have been in contact with TAFE as I was an assessor and trainer within the FE sector of law and business and not HE. I have spoken to the business manager and asked for casual work and I have had my DCSI clearance in the mean time. They are off this week so I will ring back next week. I haven't registered with agencies but I apply for jobs on SEEK and INDEED on a daily basis. I just feel a little disheartened at the moment as I cant even get an administration post in any of the unis either but I just need to keep my chin up and carry on. Thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate any advice and help.

Guest Guest12727
Guest Guest12727

Just had some other thoughts. Do you look at unijobs.com.au?

Also, try the uni entrance colleges, SAIBT (Institute of business technology) or UniSA college. I don't know if there are similar for Flinders and Adelaide.

There is also Torrens University Australia tua.edu.au who offer grad certs and diplomas in Business

Learn to sell yourself. Most jobs have selection criteria and you really have to be able to demonstrate that you meet them in order to be considered. And that means spelling out exactly how you meet them and what you have done that shows you meet them. I agree with Howde about looking at the Uni's and colleges for possible casual teaching roles. Once you are working at these places it's easier to get other roles. I know several people where I work that started as casual, moved on to fixed term and are now permanent staff.

Assuming you are happy to do none teaching roles UniSA are currently advertising something like three academic team leader positions at the moment and I suspect you would be able to do them in your sleep. I think two of the three are fixed term contracts and the other is permanent. I'd be tempted to apply for all three but be aware that at least one of them currently has someone on a fixed term contract in the role. If you do apply you will have to write a paragraph or two for each of the selection criteria to show that you meet it. Don't be afraid to really sell your skills and abilities. UniSA are easier to apply for as the application process makes you address the criteria, but you need to do the same kind of thing with all jobs even if they don't specifically ask for a separate page with the info on. Good luck.

Guest Guest12727

Just adding to NicF, I went to a 'what to include in job apps' session by HR at UniSA and one of the things they stressed was providing evidence of the statements you make. So when you say, I have great communication skills, you need to back this up with an example or two, showing how you have dealt with a difficult situation etc. They said this is now what sorts the applicants into those that get interviews and those that don't.

Does anyone have any good advice on how to answer the selection criteria? Perhaps there is a typical format that can be used? My wife is finding a lot of jobs which are relevant to her experience, either in universities or in the council and all of these types of positions require you to respond to the selection criteria. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Geoff.

Guest GilliJ

Hi, if you look at the uni and government websites they all say to use the STAR technique when responding to the selection criteria - give the Situation, the Task you were presented with, the Action you took and the Result...having said this both myself and my husband dreamed of having a job working for any of the uni's and ended up giving up on applying to them, its all about who you know here and when you don't know anyone life is pretty tough. Good luck :)

Guest Guest12727
its all about who you know here and when you don't know anyone life is pretty tough. :)

Another one of those sweeping statements - I think anywhere you are in the world, some personal contacts help and once you are known in an industry it is easier, however, my husband has always found employment here without knowing anyone in Adelaide or related to the jobs he was applying for. He got them on merit.

Guest mactac
Another one of those sweeping statements - I think anywhere you are in the world, some personal contacts help and once you are known in an industry it is easier, however, my husband has always found employment here without knowing anyone in Adelaide or related to the jobs he was applying for. He got them on merit.

Sweeping Statement, but just because your husband has found it easy that does not make it the case for everyone (this is another sweeping statement).

Adelaide business does have very strong networks it is like a big town (despite its population), having few contacts is no excuse but

in positions like this I imagine networks would be extremely important and helpful.

In a couple of months leave to a big city with better employment options (Melbourne or Sydney), won't be easy for your family, but in few months you may count your blessings.

Very helpful advice by everyone here.

Best of luck in your search.

Guest Guest12727
Sweeping Statement, but just because your husband has found it easy that does not make it the case for everyone (this is another sweeping statement)..

Hey Mactac

Many people who read this forum are making decisions on whether or not to move to Adelaide. My post is merely showing a counter point that it IS possible to gain employment in Adelaide, in a reasonable time and reasonable effort, without knowing people here.

The OP said

My husband is a carpenter and found work straight away and our 12 year old daughter has settled in school and met loads of friends. - See more at: http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/42090-anybody-got-any-advice-how-get-work-adelaide.html#sthash.m6zpymj3.dpuf

so I am not sure telling them to move to another city is a great help. A big decision to upheave the family and move again, when there is no guarantee of a job elsewhere either.

The solution to every problem isn't to run away fro it.

Guest Guest12727
Hi, if you look at the uni and government websites they all say to use the STAR technique when responding to the selection criteria - give the Situation, the Task you were presented with, the Action you took and the Result...having said this both myself and my husband dreamed of having a job working for any of the uni's and ended up giving up on applying to them, its all about who you know here and when you don't know anyone life is pretty tough. Good luck :)

Hi GilliJ

Do you and your husband have jobs and what line of work are you in?

Guest BurgessFamily

If I was coming over but not straight away, I would wait for the outcome of the budget - it is expected to be a very hard one.

Debt Levy?

Own Property included in Asset sets?

Targeting cuts in 'key' public sectors?

Guest GilliJ
Hi GilliJ

Do you and your husband have jobs and what line of work are you in?

Hi Howde

thanks for your message.

for those of you who think I have made a sweeping statement you know where you can put it.

Me and my hubby arrived on 1 feb 2013 a year after our reccie trip where at the time the job market was alive and we were told our minimum joint salaries would be $140k minimum. A year later on arrival UPON MY OWN MERIT I got a crap job earning $42k and nearly 7 months later my hubby got his job, a 6mth government contract earning $63k. We were at the brink of divorce due to the strain of it all. Hubby has 20 years IT management and mow works on the lowest level IT job on a helpsesl

Luckily it was extended by 6 months.

I have 10 years experience on local government finance and am AAT qualified but now work in a call centte for an insurance company.

I used to look at negative posts on this site and think those people cant be trying but how wrong I was. We came here determined to make it work but life is tough for us.

GilliJ, don't let this influence your relationship. Remember, you and your partner have to get through to it together and don't let external circumstances destroy your marriage. It's not always a person's fault, not finding a decent job here.

Sorry, but 42k is a average salary here, don't know what you're doing, but hubby and me are in the same merit bracket and happy with it.

The networking factor is really hard here, I agree, because when nobody lets you join in the 'glass ceiling' hangs low here in Adelaide.

I used to look at negative posts on this site and think those people cant be trying but how wrong I was. We came here determined to make it work but life is tough for us.

Spot on, unfortunately.

If wanting a job - and really giving it a good go - meant you would get a job, I reckon just about all migrants would be fully employed.

After all, everyone worked hard to get here and came with an intention to work, not bludge their way through life.

Sometimes, good intentions, flexibility and 'being on the list' is simply not enough.

Good luck, GilliJ.

LC

The universities advertise job just because they have to by the way. It's just an official announcement process. They would never employ a single migrant when they don't see how they can take advantage of it!

This is completely untrue. I work in one of the unis in a central HR position (won on merit with no networks by the way). If we "had" to advertise a role it would be internally advertised only, anything advertised externally to all applicants is honestly inviting applications. We receive around 200 applications on average for many of our roles at the moment. If you are not getting interviews you feel you should then I suggest you look at how you present your application as you may not be not presenting your skill set in the best way for that role. A massive proportion of my colleagues are migrants from all over the world and in fact a lot of our new recruits are newly arrived. The unis are one of the most diverse work environments you will find in SA.

I took 6 months and around 50 applications, 4-5 interviews to win my role 6 years ago. It is tough I agree but persevere. Come with an open mind and an understanding that you won't just land a job in the first month and I suspect you will have a more positive experience.

Guest BurgessFamily

Yeah, salary expectations can be a lot higher before you get here, I thought I'd be earning $90k-$120 based of research using Seek (but was a total waste of time as not a real reflection). As I have mentioned before, we recently took on an experienced .Net developer at around the $45k mark. Almost all our developers are earning around $50k (some earn a little more due to having specific support they have to cover - note that no actual support or overtime is paid).

In the pre-budget review, they referred to targeting high income earners giving the figure as $85k or more. Just shows you where the salaries really are (and that $85k is for Australia, with SA on far less salaries).

Guest GilliJ
Yeah, salary expectations can be a lot higher before you get here, I thought I'd be earning $90k-$120 based of research using Seek (but was a total waste of time as not a real reflection). As I have mentioned before, we recently took on an experienced .Net developer at around the $45k mark. Almost all our developers are earning around $50k (some earn a little more due to having specific support they have to cover - note that no actual support or overtime is paid).

In the pre-budget review, they referred to targeting high income earners giving the figure as $85k or more. Just shows you where the salaries really are (and that $85k is for Australia, with SA on far less salaries).

The salary expectations we had were not our own figures or those we obtained from SEEk. They were given to us by various employment agencies when we registered with them on our reccie trip to Adelaide 12 months prior to moving! My husband is not a net developer, he has been an IT manager for an American manufacturing site where there were over 200 employees and after being made redundant an IT manager for a pharmaceutical company.

Edited by GilliJ

Guest GilliJ

Thank you Rabeah for your positive message, I'm glad you are happy here. We love Adelaide and everything it has to offer but unfortunately the job situation deteriorated from our reccie trip to the time it took us to move here, if this hadn't happened our expectations would not have been so high, they were based on information given by us by various employment agencies we registered with on our reccie trip.

Guest Kennymclachlan

Adelaide can be a strange one - around 80%-90% of jobs are offered through networking rather than via recruiters or job adverts. Networking is crucial for success in Adelaide - I can't stress that enough (haven't read every comment so apologies if someone has already made this point).

LinkedIn is a must and, by the sounds of your chosen field, would be well worth it. Connect with recruiters, HR staff in organisations you are interested in and also with others in your field - basically anyone you think may be good for networking.

Try to find some activities to attend that may get you into the paths of someuseful contacts.

Have you thought of volunteering your services? Is this possible? If so, that can be a way to gain contacts and reputation. There is a big charity and Not-for-profit sector in Adelaide to aim at.

Put some work into your Resume and LinkedIn profile.

Above all, remember you are trying to sell a product - you. Keep that in the forefront of your mind. It is definitely a tough labor market at present andcompetition for jobs is hot. Don't give up - South Australia is a beautiful place.

• 3 weeks later...