Electrician in a catch 22 position

Hi guys I arrived in Adelaide on the 1st may, with the missus and two kids. I'm a fully qualified sparks back on blighty been qualified for what seems a life time. I have enrolled to tafe to complete auz wiring regs which is understandable but the whole logbook onsite is bull**** and from

what I'm hearing Aussie employers won't touch you. I don't know why a little gap training before applying for full licence seems reasonable but it seems like the Aussie contractors are not clued up to this. It's like hmmm restricted licence no sorry mate, it doesn't help that work is slow. But so was the recession in London and managed to ride through it. If any sparks can share there wisdom I would be in you're debt. Which probably be a pint of castlemaine or coopers!

I am not a spark but have seen that a lot of sparks do there stuff through PEER training don't know if this is still the case but think it was only 4 or 5 days course. Try a search on here there used to be quite a few sparks around on here.

Veer is fortunately the tafe I've gone with for regs, I phoned guy today and he basically said he don't like to employ pommies because "they have cost him loads of money" I regard English or British sparks as best in the world. I've come along plenty of Aussie sparks who raised a few eyebrows but that is irrelevant! Getting you're foot in the door is hard. Especially having a restricted licence. I shouldn't sound bitter and be happy I'm just sick of being unemployed lol

I regard English or British sparks as best in the world. I've come along plenty of Aussie sparks who raised a few eyebrows but that is irrelevant!

If plenty of Aussie sparks have raised their eyebrows at your views that British electricians are the best in the world, you might want to think about keeping those views to yourself a bit more and showing some humility ... at least until you're employed! ;)

If plenty of Aussie sparks have raised their eyebrows at your views that British electricians are the best in the world, you might want to think about keeping those views to yourself a bit more and showing some humility ... at least until you're employed! ;)

Have another read of what he wrote. ;-)

They raise HIS eyebrows. Lol.

I feel for you, KennyKen, it is frustrating to be out of work particularly if you thought it would be a case of wrapping up your tools, coming over and being prepared to take any job.

Unfortunately, I guess until you have all your certs you are less employable than the people you are competing with for work. Remember, this is a totally different country, the regs are somewhat different (as I understand it! My OH is an A-grade, though he hasn't been on the tools for ever now lol!) and people won't know you yet.

I would calm down, enjoy life and keep trying. Even if you don't get work, you might be able to make valuable contacts, people who will remember you for when you have completed your certificates.

Whatever you do, listen to the others and don't bang on about how brilliant British sparks are as, in the wrong company, it will kill your employability!

Good luck,

LC

Veer is fortunately the tafe I've gone with for regs, I phoned guy today and he basically said he don't like to employ pommies because "they have cost him loads of money" I regard English or British sparks as best in the world. I've come along plenty of Aussie sparks who raised a few eyebrows but that is irrelevant! Getting you're foot in the door is hard. Especially having a restricted licence. I shouldn't sound bitter and be happy I'm just sick of being unemployed lol

My my comment was satirical. Most of my Australian pals were great sparks back in the UK. It was that phone convo I hard yesterday that got my back up. Never intended to offend anyone, heat of the moment and that?! :)

I didn't expect to come here and jump straight into employment I'm not that naive. I knew it would be hard. But what I didn't know is that the Aussies don't really employ "mates" a term for an unqualified electrician which until I have completed TAFE I am one.

me having no humility we'll I think you Mis read my comment, it was to come across sarcastic which has obviously back fired. I thought I would clear this up. Thanks

That's a tough call, I can't offer any advice - only good vibes that you can get sorted out quickly. Good luck mate.

Thanks mate. worst case scenario, maybe a stint in hungry jacks for a while saying that I probably will have to fill some onsite logbook for variations in beef quality.

I know just how you feel as im a dental hygienist therapist who arrived knowing that I would need to have an initial assessment carried out to confirm my qualifications along with a written exam & 5 day practical. Te initial assessment took 8wks to get back only to be informed that they are reviewing their exam process & this won't be completed until Sept! So for the last 8mths ive worked frustratingly as a dental nurse whilst I sit waiting for the general dental council to sort out things! So ive ever sympathy kenny but fingers crossed we'll avoid a stint in hungry hacks & eventually be able to do our jobs!

Aussies do employ trades assistants. A few companies employing at the moment. Inghams factory have employed a few TAs in the past and JD elec and dead short also. Ensure your resume is Aussie style aswell and don't include things like 2391 etc as they don't have a clue what that is. Pay them a visit and sell yourself, offer to do a few days as a trial is a good way aswell. Lastly remember the way we do things here is for a reason. Not rough just different. Good luck.

Thanks minty, I've had a girl from skill select look over my resumé. It's came out ok. Ive added background info etc. Last time I completed a CV was 13 years ago. I've only came across trade assistants today funnily enough. I'll keep looking and keep my chin up. It's being off work that's driving me insane! Watching house rules doesn't help either!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi kenny

Have you had any luck yet? My partner is in the same position, electrician in Ireland for ten years, and is just about to do Peer upskilling course however cannot find any employment with restricted license in order to complete log book! Really frustrating, and he has had to take really manual jobs just for a wage. Also does anyone have to hand second hand copies of the Australian standard references needed for the Peer course for sale?

Thanks

Thanks mate. worst case scenario, maybe a stint in hungry jacks for a while saying that I probably will have to fill some onsite logbook for variations in beef quality.

Don't take the piss because it could very well happen. Australia seems to be the land of the pointless piece of paper and while it is right and correct that certain occupations be licenced for one reason or the other there are plenty of useless certifications around that Aussie employers regard as essential. "Want a job in a food distribution warehouse? Sorry sir, you've not got a Cert 2 in shelf filling."

Hey KennyKen.... Think about the time you have been here, 1st May isnt that long! I know from my own experience that its frustrating being at home when you have ALWAYS worked, it took me 3 months to secure a job and like you i applied for hundreds and had more knock backs than chances! You are doing all the right things to secure work so stay positive (sometimes its hard....i know) and eventually the job will follow... I know people commented that i had done really well to get work in 3 months, and for the opportunity i am greatful! Good luck and dont give up

Side step I wasn't taking the piss. I was being sarcastic. I'm working now. Don't want to get too ahead of myself but there is descent people here willing to give guys a go! I was lucky to be put forward to one. Now I've got to get stuck in and show I'm worth keeping. Plus working toward getting my A licence also.

Hi kenny

Have you had any luck yet? My partner is in the same position, electrician in Ireland for ten years, and is just about to do Peer upskilling course however cannot find any employment with restricted license in order to complete log book! Really frustrating, and he has had to take really manual jobs just for a wage. Also does anyone have to hand second hand copies of the Australian standard references needed for the Peer course for sale?

Thanks

Will he be at peer next week?

Guest Guest12727
Side step I wasn't taking the piss. I was being sarcastic. I'm working now. Don't want to get too ahead of myself but there is descent people here willing to give guys a go! I was lucky to be put forward to one. Now I've got to get stuck in and show I'm worth keeping. Plus working toward getting my A licence also.

Congrats Kenny Ken.

With all the fuss you have made over not getting a job in the first two weeks you were here and panicking lots of prospective migrants, it is a shame you didn't jump on to PIA the minute you got the job to tell everyone as quickly as you shouted doom and gloom. You have done pretty well to have something in just a few weeks.

• 1 month later...

I went to Peer Veet last year and completed my AS3000 for an unrestricted licence. Cost $690 for the course and $610 for all the books. You could only attend when your had written to TRA with your prior learning and given a certificate. The course was 7 days lots of assessments, class room work and home work.:wacko: Needed to read up on the AS3000 before I went which helped.

Peer Veet have helped me with gaining the Australian Trades for both A/C refrigeration and Electrical, I have also been back for day courses etc. A great trade school.

Best of luck guys. No one said it was going to be easy, but its worth it :smile: