White Card Advice

Hi,

Just wanted some advice as to whether oh should do the white card course online or with a UK based Company before we come out?

He is a fully qualified electrician, and is hopefully flying out toward the end of the year to do his gap skill training with Peer.

We have found a Company in the UK called Train4gap offering the white card course for £120 and wondered whether it would be a good idea to do it now or whether he should just wait until he gets there.

Guest cbeeb

Do it when you get here SA does not accept online courses and on mine people who had white cards form other states were redoing it. There is talk about streamlining it. But on safework SA websites states they will accept them from other states. Maybe give them an email to ask.

My OH was advised that the online course was a waste of money so that's why he did a one day course. He has just received his CITB card from his employer, so he perhaps might benefit from a discount on another course in the future.

Jo

Edited by evojoan

I would agree with the others and avoid doing the course online or from the UK. I have seen several job adverts for Adelaide that specifically state they will not accept online versions. I worked on a large scale construction project and I did my white card through Civil Train http://civiltrainsa.com.au/index.cfm There are plenty of RTO's (Registered Training Organisations) in Adelaide that offer the course and I always say to people you never know who you might be sitting next to and get talking to and what might come out of that meeting.

Donna I'm an electrician and I noticed your OH is also. I recommend you try getting your OH to complete the Aus wiring regs over in England. There is a company over there which

does it. Otherwise if you haven't got the right visa your looking at serious money over here because your classed as an international student. Plus if you do it here you will most likely sit a 10 day block at a tafe which I am and to be fair when I break that to a potential employer it might not go down well. The blocks are broken up 4 days one month and 4 another so it's not like you can sit 10 days intensive. That's my only advice.

If he can't do the test in England. Then no worries. If you have perminant visas 190.189 or a skilled provisional visa 489 for example you be ok because you will be funded by the SA government under Skills for all. When you apply for your licence get your OH to take every cert he has and see Adam or shellie at skills for all. Hopefully you can get funding for the Aus regs. Once you have cleared that up I would strongly recommend you speaking to a man - peter jolly - from peer TAFE. He will then guide you like Yoda.

Hi KennyKen we were advised to steer well clear of the UK course as it's not recognised in Australia. We have a 190 visa so he should get funding from Skill Select. Can I just clarify with you when you say the wiring regs course are you talking about the gap training? My oh has an OTSR and we have been told by peer veet he needs to complete a three week course called the minimal context gap training. Is this the same as yourself?

If it's at the end of June! Tell him I'll see hI'm there! ;-)

Unfortunately he's not doing the June one, he wanted a bit more time to prepare for it!! Peer have said they will hopefully be running one later in the year so he will fly out for that one and stay out there permanently. Good luck with job hunting, it seems like a nightmare trying to get in somewhere!