Looking for Job - experienced Telecommunication Engineer

Hi all,

We are planning to move to Adelaide in late September. I am an Electrical & Electronic Engineering graduate with 8+ years of experience in Telecommunication field operation and optical fiber network. I also have 2+ years experience in Project management.

Can anybody provide some insight about the job market in Adelaide for my field? Also any tips/advice on how can I get a job after my arrival? I am searching through Seek and other job sites and also through linkedin, but it is not producing any results as I haven't heard from any of the advertisers I have applied so far.

However, I am also willing to perform any work for survival. So, any tips for this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You don't get a response from those sites at the best of times. I am not exactly sure what your position means lol but have you tried contacting the telecommunication places directly to ask like Telstra, Optus, Foxtel the internet places over here theres a few you may find you get more response you have to be very patient though I must say so hang in there not many people get a job before they arrive but you may get lucky good luck

I've got a similar background. Electrical engineer with comms background and 20 years experience in project engineering, project management and procurement. After arriving in Adelaide 8 months ago, I've had 4 interviews.

I've also applied for unskilled work but the competition is huge. 250 plus applicants per job.

A company would only be interested if you have a unique special skill which no Australian has already.

As kadina has said you must be patient. Thankfully I am and still happy. (Most of the time!)

Try some of the other agencies - Talent, Finite, Candle and Paxus - they are cater for IT related positions. I think the job market here can be a little hit and miss, but I've heard plenty of good stories. I am not sure how much success before you have landed here though. Try and avoid coming out Nov, Dec and Jan as I believe there are less job adverts around.

Guest Claire-n-tel
One thing I would advice is not to put anything like that on here the site is full of scaremongers!

I don't think that is very fair Kenny, yes there are some posters who will seem have an overly bleek, negative outlook but there are just as many that seem to have an overly positive rose tinted outlook.

I think most people will take what they want from replies. I don't think anyone should be discouraged from posting questions or asking for advice.

:smile:

OMG! 20 years experience in PM, but still w/o job for 8 months!!! Should I be worried from this picture?

I am not sure how long you have been looking at this site, but maybe have a look at some of the job and career information and this will help to give you a general overview of the job market in Adelaide. Some people with certain skills and experience will secure work quickly but for others it can take months, so I would suggest budgeting for this when you come over.

I am not sure about more casual jobs being available in the summer, are you thinking of the lead up to Christmas? It also depends what kind of casual work you would be looking for. For example I know of an organisation that advertised a short term casual clerical position and they had 500 applications.

Edited by Jessica Berry

I am not sure how long you have been looking at this site, but maybe have a look at some of the job and career information and this will help to give you a general overview of the job market in Adelaide. Some people with certain skills and experience will secure work quickly but for others it can take months, so I would suggest budgeting for this when you come over.

I am not sure about more casual jobs being available in the summer, are you thinking of the lead up to Christmas? It also depends what kind of casual work you would be looking for. For example I know of an organisation that advertised a short term casual clerical position and they had 500 applications.

Nice advice Jessica. Thank You.

Yes, I am new to this site and yes, I have started looking everywhere.

We have been saving every penny we could for the initial struggle after moving and I think now we can budget for about one year in Adelaide. But actually I don't want to spend any of this savings unless I am bound to. That's why I am ready to do any casual job for survival. And when I say any, I mean any. Until I get a job in my domain, I am ready to perform any lawful work, and clerical job sounds good in this aspect.

Again thank you very much for your insight and advice.

Knowing the clerical job I mentioned above, it would be unlikely that you would secure the position as they would receive applications from people with a background in clerical/admin work that would be more suited.

As mentioned previously there can be a lot of competition for casual vacancies so just take that into consideration. Good luck.