Unemployment UK v South Australia

Anne B

I know it probably isn't totally valid to compare the 2 rates (like comparing apples with pears) but South Australia's unemployment rate is now worse than the UK.

South Australia 6.8% - UK 6.6%

Also bear in mind that the UK rate covers the whole of the UK so if you are coming over from the South East of England for example where the unemployment rate is probably less than 3% you might find things hard here.

Statistics and figures can prove anything.

One thing this doesn't take into account is that those migrating here have skills that are meant to be in high demand (I will admit the list isn't perfect). If people have the right skills, attitude and experience I'd say they have a good chance of finding work here or the UK.

If people have the right skills, attitude and experience I'd say they have a good chance of finding work here or the UK.

Sorry but that's nonsense. I know several qualified electricians with great work ethics, attitudes and skills - out of work since the company they were working for went bust. I know qualified and experienced engineers and project managers struggling to find something. This "if you have the right attitude you'll find work" is insulting imho to those who are currently out of work!

Might be true in the UK, but definitely not true here

The UK has better ethics to work and a better quality of work......from what I've heard, the UK building industry is booming ATM, the economy is picking up.

Take into account that the UK has more head per population so in all fairness, it proves that there are a lot more jobs and a lot more employed in the UK.

CBA with them and us threads, but figures are figures and the true effect of the financial recession in SA haven't come into effect yet, the UK has slowly got through the crunch. Let's hope SA make it through as well and as quick as the UK did.

This "if you have the right attitude you'll find work" is insulting imho to those who are currently out of work!

Oh my goodness! I could not agree more.

In fact, I felt so strongly, I had to log on and add this post!

It is an incredibly naive and insulting statement.

:realmad: LC

Hubby,been unemployed for months ,after numerous interviews got a job ,started 2 weeks ago,let go yesterday as not enough work,what a joke.I have never come across such a fickle and unpredictible job market in my life.Totally agree so many very capable and hard working people here are currently unemployed.

The job insecurity has a very serious impact on family life.This week i had 3 prescriptions items,which are now almost 38 dollars per item.Try paying for meds with no money.I could only dream of UK prescription prices.

We have had yrs of constant job insecurity,hubby has had a few weeks holiday literally in 9yrs,our quality of life has been impacted appallingly.

In all honesty if daughter wasnt at Uni ,we would go back to UK tomorrow as there are numerous jobs going all over the Uk and the salaries and benefits far outweigh those here.We love Adelaide but poverty and happiness do not good bedfellows make.

To those who are not yet here think carefully about the adage"We have nothing to lose we can always go back"That may well cost you.If you have long term jobs,even if you go back ,you may be going back to the bottom of the ladder and your life may be substantially worse than the life you left behind.

To those currently looking for a job Good Luck.

Sue

The unemployment figures in the UK are misleading because of the amount of people claiming disability instead. Also, 10% of the workforce is underemployed, i.e. cannot get the job hours they want. These aren't counted either.

You think that's restricted to UK figures? Australia has amongst the highest rates of part-time, casual and under employment in the developed world (and on present trends will be beyond dispute the highest in the next five years). As for hiding the true figure by moving people onto other benefits, the UK hasn't even heard of some of the tricks the Aus government has perfected!

Both places have their issues, and at the individual level some people struggle and others find work without too much fuss, but to suggest the UK figures are misleading and not point out that the same is true here is itself misleading!

It worries me that people often come here with that attitude i am prepared to do anything.The reality is sadly so different.Every single one of my daughter's friends has had their retail hrs steadily reduced from about 17 onwards,to now at 19 they virtually have a couple of hours each week,because they would rather go for the cheaper 15 yr old.

They are all struggling to manage as a result,by comparison all my friends kids in the Uk in the same position have regular Saturday and holiday hrs,which assists greatly and takes some off the pressure off uni life. Really dont like the attitude that they have no loyalty,its just lets go for the cheaper option.They often get people to do a Sat as a trial ,without pay then,do the same again next week.Some of the snidey employment practices here wouldnt be out of place in victorian britain.

Dont get me started on the training courses scam ,of there will be a job at the end of it,guess what,often not,it is just exploitative.

Sue

Sorry but that's nonsense. I know several qualified electricians with great work ethics, attitudes and skills - out of work since the company they were working for went bust. I know qualified and experienced engineers and project managers struggling to find something. This "if you have the right attitude you'll find work" is insulting imho to those who are currently out of work!

Might be true in the UK, but definitely not true here

That's not quite what I said.

I maintain that people with the right skills, experience and attitude have a good chance of finding a job here or the uk. I've found it easier to get work here than the Uk, others may find it harder and there are always exceptions. There are no guarantees and for you to misquote in that way is just typical of the negative attitude I have seen in several posts on here - the thread re stopping more migrants being a perfect example.

If people have the right skills, attitude and experience I'd say they have a good chance of finding work here or the UK.

Nope, don't think you were misrepresented in the post from Diane.

Neither do I think it's fair to bring up another thread in an attempt to make it seem easier to dismiss her comments as simply being negative or against migration.

I am truly glad you found work here. I just wish all the good, experienced, hitherto fully-employed people I know could say the same. Or the graduates coming out with a desire to change the world. Or the kids who want desperately to do what they've focussed on for years, and become an apprentice or a tradie, like the rest of their family.

I think perhaps your comment is based on your experience, anecdotal migrant experience, and perhaps the fact you are in pharma sales rather than a tradie.

I think Diane's comment, and now mine, is based on being here a long enough time to know our community,and people from many different walks of life and seeing the difference.

If my reality is seen as negativity, then perhaps that is down to the reader as much as the writer.

I still think your original comment was at best naive, and at worst, highly insulting. Just read sduffy's posts.

LC

Well said Lazy Cow.THere is one hell of a difference between the professional and tradie workplace here.In the Uk my hubby had the luxury of working for prestigious franchises,with the protection of management and HR,here the vast majorityof companies are run by individual owners with the vagaries that come with that and often for many people a wholly inequitable employer/employee relationship.The health and safety is poor,training courses are non existent,you get hols if the employer allows it ,there not that busy out you go.The contrast is black and white.Family friendly and flexiibility dont exist.

There is a reason why a significant number of tradies are self employed because of the aforementioned factors.

In addition please remember that life as an employee in your 30s is a whole different ballgame to that of your late 40s,or even early fifties.

For those on the migration honeymoon enjoy it as we did in the first couple of years,if you have doubled your salary and hols as some do,of course you are going to think Adelaide is wonderful,but for many who have run the gauntlet of adversity here over the last few yrs may paint a picture that is not now as rosy,it is reality for many ,not negativity and as Lazy Cow says to portray those people as negative is insulting.

Sue

I agree that there is lot of this "as long as you've got a good attitude/are positive/are determined/have the right skills you'll be ok" stuff written on this site.

Yes, having a positive attitude and being determined is important but it isn't everything . It comes from the huge industry of (mainly American) self-help books that have been written over the years, saying that having a positive attitude is everything. Most of these were probably written in happier economic times too.

There are so many other factors - such as the economic situation / luck / being in the right place at the right time / having a face that fits / having a network of contacts built up over many years / being the right age / right sex / right nationality and these are all things that we have no control over. Being an immigrant you have to possibly contend with other peoples' prejudices against immigrants as well. It can be really hard to keep a positive attitude when you have had a lot of knockbacks - we are after all only human - plus it can be harder if you haven't got a support network of family and friends to keep your spirits up.

I personally hadn't worked for many years as I gave up work when I had children, and naively thought I would be able to get some part-time admin work, even though I had worked at a higher level before I had children. I did a MYOB training course to get some skills that I though would help. Well getting a job was a big ask and after countless applications I gave up trying and was looking at going back to college. To be honest I got very demoralised. I have somewhat miraculously got work now, (only a contract mind you but it has just been extended) and I sadly have to say that the reason I got it was nothing to do with having a good attitude or trying hard but because of the way Adelaide works - it was through someone I knew. The wife of one of my husband's old friends rang me up out of the blue and asked if I would be interested in doing some casual work from home for the department where she worked, one job led to another, then someone in the office left and they asked if I would be interested in doing her job and now I am working there 4 days a week! So it was a lot about having connections, having a huge bit of good luck, plus I have made damn sure that I have done an excellent job since I've been there. I knew I had the skills and capability but that didn't stop me getting repeatedly rejected for jobs way below my ability level.

So things have worked out for me for now, but the experience of trying to find work in Adelaide has been a very depressing and demoralising one.

Anne B,an excellent post with some very salient points about life here.

Your job, or your career are central in many ways to so many aspects of your life and as you say not being able to find work,at levels below your capabilities is both depressing and demoralising and frankly soul destroying and totally erodes your confidence over time.

I concur that without your friend and family network it can often be an arduous road.

Congratulations on your job,thankfully however it came about you have now had the opportunity to prove your worth.

Best wishes

Sue

Thanks for the kind words Sue. All it takes is one bit of good luck, to be honest I had pretty much given up hope of finding a job (without re-training). I hope you get a similar lucky break, sounds like you have had your fair share of bad luck up to now.

Nope, don't think you were misrepresented in the post from Diane.

Neither do I think it's fair to bring up another thread in an attempt to make it seem easier to dismiss her comments as simply being negative or against migration.

I am truly glad you found work here. I just wish all the good, experienced, hitherto fully-employed people I know could say the same. Or the graduates coming out with a desire to change the world. Or the kids who want desperately to do what they've focussed on for years, and become an apprentice or a tradie, like the rest of their family.

I think perhaps your comment is based on your experience, anecdotal migrant experience, and perhaps the fact you are in pharma sales rather than a tradie.

I think Diane's comment, and now mine, is based on being here a long enough time to know our community,and people from many different walks of life and seeing the difference.

If my reality is seen as negativity, then perhaps that is down to the reader as much as the writer.

I still think your original comment was at best naive, and at worst, highly insulting. Just read sduffy's posts.

LC

You dismiss my experience and those of my friends as anecdotal then use another's to strengthen your point. Whether you agree or not, the quote in Diane's post was not what I wrote.

i know posters and very recent migrants nearly put off by the negativity on here and they are surprised by how different the reality is. All I am doing is offering my experience and that of others I've met - which is equally valid to anyone else's. It seems this forum attracts extremes of opinion and the reason I brought up the other thread was because someone I know stopped posting on the forum because of it.

i understand those who are struggling getting annoyed if I said it was easy; I didn't, I merely said if people had experince, skills and attitude then either here or the uk they have a good chance.

We have been here 9yrs and so i would imagine that a lot of other posters on this thread have been here .I would say a significant majority of the others on this thread have been.I would say the majority of us within 6-12 months of arriving here would have had the same view as you and may have been as cynical.

A lot of us now are seeing a very different employment landscape than was the case say 8-10 yrs ago.Adelaide is definitely struggling a lot more,you only have to look at the shops that are closing all over the city and suburbs.Our children are struggling to secure apprenticeships,obtain part time jobs to fund uni education.We are seeing very different ends of the employment spectrum.

If people choose to ignore comments that is their perogative but i personally think honest comments are important.

It depends on the individuals involved,in your 20s footloose and fancy free you can manage you can be adaptable,in your40s starting from the bottom here with several kids to support it is a more pressured picture.

Facts are facts.

Would i have left my career in the uk and come to the financial insecurity we have endured not in a million yrs.

We made the decision to stay as our daughter loves it,she has now told us that she anticipates leaving and moving away upon graduation as the prospects here for her chosen profession are too limited in Adelaide.

People have to make the decision that is the one for their family,if you want to weigh up all the facts and go for it,thats your choice and live with the consequences whatever they are.

Sue

We have been here 9yrs and so i would imagine that a lot of other posters on this thread have been here .I would say a significant majority of the others on this thread have been.I would say the majority of us within 6-12 months of arriving here would have had the same view as you and may have been as cynical.

A lot of us now are seeing a very different employment landscape than was the case say 8-10 yrs ago.Adelaide is definitely struggling a lot more,you only have to look at the shops that are closing all over the city and suburbs.Our children are struggling to secure apprenticeships,obtain part time jobs to fund uni education.We are seeing very different ends of the employment spectrum.

If people choose to ignore comments that is their perogative but i personally think honest comments are important.

It depends on the individuals involved,in your 20s footloose and fancy free you can manage you can be adaptable,in your40s starting from the bottom here with several kids to support it is a more pressured picture.

Facts are facts.

Would i have left my career in the uk and come to the financial insecurity we have endured not in a million yrs.

We made the decision to stay as our daughter loves it,she has now told us that she anticipates leaving and moving away upon graduation as the prospects here for her chosen profession are too limited in Adelaide.

People have to make the decision that is the one for their family,if you want to weigh up all the facts and go for it,thats your choice and live with the consequences whatever they are.

Sue

i agree with this. We as a family left good jobs and lives in the uk to try to give our kids something they couldn't have in the uk.

Jobs are more scarce in every developed country in the last 5 years, so people who've been here a long time may not have perspective on what the labour market is like in the uk. I came from South Wales (Cardiff) and jobs there were harder to find than my experience here.

Perhaps a large part of it depends on where in the uk people move from, how long they've been here and the changes they've seen since the global financial implosion?

Edited by guspjmh