Help with Job hunting

Guest guest2184

Guest guest2184

I'm currently a British Infantry Officer with 7 years service. I'm a Captain but I'm currently doing a Major's job and I command 170 people. I'm 29 years old and I have a pharmacy degree - but I haven't done pre-reg so I can't go down that route

My wife wants to move back to Adelaide and sooner or later I'm going to have to give in. I was looking at transfering to the ADF and got a fair way down that route but 6 yrs return of service with no accompanied overseas postings didn't appeal in the end.

My questions are:

1. What are my job prospects like in Adelaide?

My contemparies are walking into project management jobs in the UK paying £80k plus but my wife thinks I'm pretty much unemployable as Australians don't rate ex-military as highly as the UK, esp. The City, does. She also says that Australian jobs are far more degree specific than in the UK and so all project manager jobs will require an engineering degree.

2. Is she right?

I'm looking for a managerial job that is field based. I don't mind working in an office as long as I can get in the field occasionally and see what I'm working towards. The mines sound good as I like working time on - time off as opposed to 9 - 5

3. What companies / agencies should I be sending my CV to?

4. To stand the best chance what courses should I take before arriving in Adelaide?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest theshearers

Hi Gareth

Welcome to the site. My husband Steve is currently a Warrant Officer (Artificer Elec) in the Royal Marines and we are hoping to emigrate when he has finished his 22yrs next yr. We are looking at a Employer Sponsored Visa and he is applying to the big Defence companies - General Dynamics, BAE etc as we have been advised by some of his civvy contacts at these companies in the UK that his expertise may be needed by them.

However in order for him to get a sponsorship the job has to be related to the classification that he got from his skills assesment. As Steves degree is in Electronic Engineering Systems this isnt a problem because this is the type of work he would be looking for.

Having looked at alot of the jobs on the various company websites the majority do seem to ask for a degree in a relevant discipline. He is also looking at Project Management type jobs as he does alot of this type of work in RM, and has recently completed the PRINCE2 Practicioner course, which I have seen asked for in a few Australian jobs. This maybe a good qualifacation to get if you havent already done it. He is also doing some sort of Finance course for Project Managers that is specifically aimed at ex-military people who have alot of experience on the technical side but not necessarily that much budget/finance experience. He is doing this through his EVT.

I have absolulty no idea how Australians rate ex-military people but I am sure that they will treat you fairly if you can do the job, regardless of your background.

If you have a look at www.adelaidebound.com in the jobs sections there is loads of info on recruitment agencies etc. Also try www.kineticdefence.com.au.

I know that it can be very difficult to gain employement in Oz without being there, but we have had some positive feedback from some companies. It may mean Steve having to fly out for interviews but we are prepared to do this to get the visa.

He is also having his CV done by a company in Australia which is probably a good thing to do as their CV styles are quite different to ours I believe.

Don't know if this is of any use to you but hopefully it may give you a bit of a start.

PM me if you want any further info

Good luck with it all

Vicki

Guest Footsoldier
My questions are:

1. What are my job prospects like in Adelaide?

My contemparies are walking into project management jobs in the UK paying £80k plus but my wife thinks I'm pretty much unemployable as Australians don't rate ex-military as highly as the UK, esp. The City, does. She also says that Australian jobs are far more degree specific than in the UK and so all project manager jobs will require an engineering degree.

2. Is she right?

I'm looking for a managerial job that is field based. I don't mind working in an office as long as I can get in the field occasionally and see what I'm working towards. The mines sound good as I like working time on - time off as opposed to 9 - 5

3. What companies / agencies should I be sending my CV to?

4. To stand the best chance what courses should I take before arriving in Adelaide?

Thanks in advance for any help.

With your experience there are numerous projects you could look at local and field based.

The air warfare destroyer project or BAE systems are always looking for people but your best bet would be with a third tier company for mining that organises shutdown planning and logistics ,give Chandler macleod a buzz and see what they say.

As for courses your best bet would be learning SAP software as this is what BHP have (Always asking people for any experience with it).

Carlton

Guest Lulujim

Hi Gareth,

I'm in a similar position to you. Left the Army a few years ago (CC002 - Capt LI) and I'm currently looking into possible careers in Adelaide.

I've decided that ADF isn't for me and coming from Infantry I too don't have any specific qualifications (engineering etc). Having been in Civvi Street for a while (and after speaking with Aus recruitment agencies) I'm positive your CV will demonstate a lot of transferrable managment/leadership skills.

I looked into some form of general managment position in the mining industry and after speaking to some reps at the Aus Expo, they made it clear that they required specific qualifications. This is also the case for a lot of the defence contracts in SA (mainly engineering based). At the expo I met with Woolworths, and have got to the second-round interview stage with them. Not exactly what I'm after, infact what we're trying to get away from (long hours and weekend work!) but it might be a bit of job security at least.

I am hoping to secure a position before I get there, but know the recruitment agencies won't consider putting me forward until I get the visa. I have founder Hender Consulting helpful, and have heard mixed reviews from Hays and some others...

Keep us posted on how your job hunt goes,

Best of luck,

James

• 4 years later...

I have recently moved to Adelaide with my partner and have just come across this site while job hunting.

Having just left the military I'm adjusting not only to a new life in Australia but to the daunting civilian job hunt!

Although your posts are a few years old, you seem to have been in a similar postion to me and you might be able to guide me in the right direction. Hopefully Gareth and James you have settled in and can pass on some tips.

I wasn't commissioned in the UK and have no degree (just to make things a little more difficult!), I was employed as a JTAC/OP Sgt in the UK and then New Zealand before my partner was offered a job here in Adelaide. I have signed up to agencies and clocked up some construction courses as a back up.

Just thought I would pick your brains! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat