Jobs and earnings

Guest Claire-n-tel

Kerry have a look on realestate.com.au for what you are looking for, prices are quite varied so you can look for what you actually want

So, I think, the minimum a carpenter can be paid if employed is $21.14 an hour, if they are casual it's $25.92 an hour - how much it can go above that will obviously depend on a lot of things but I guess if you budget on these figures for the first couple of months until your husband is established etc then anything earnt above this will be a bonus. As said above, if you type Port Norlunga in on realestate.com.au you'll be able to see what's available.

Just a few pointers that you may/may not be aware of....there is a lot of competition for office work and it is not unusual for employers/recruiters to receive 200-500 applications for a position even casual agency positions. Port Noarlunga may also be considered 'too far' away by some employers, but it can depend on where the job is and what you do. Lower level admin roles would pay around $40k per annum. I am not sure when you are planning on coming over, but as a general rule Nov/Dec/Jan can be the hardest months to secure work over the summer/Christmas period. There are always exceptions to the rule and in my experience one size does not fit all where job searching is concerned, but this information will give you a general guide.

Just a few pointers that you may/may not be aware of....there is a lot of competition for office work and it is not unusual for employers/recruiters to receive 200-500 applications for a position even casual agency positions. Port Noarlunga may also be considered 'too far' away by some employers, but it can depend on where the job is and what you do. Lower level admin roles would pay around $40k per annum. I am not sure when you are planning on coming over, but as a general rule Nov/Dec/Jan can be the hardest months to secure work over the summer/Christmas period. There are always exceptions to the rule and in my experience one size does not fit all where job searching is concerned, but this information will give you a general guide.

Thanks guys. Is there such thing as living in a certain superb where you have an easier chance if getting work? Especially as a carpenter? Are they even any demands for them in Adelaide at all?

Port Noarlunga is a lovely area and there is plenty of development and building work going on nearby in seaford, not sure if this would improve your husbands chances.

Admin jobs more likely up in city, but nice areas near city more expensive. It's less than 40 mins on train from PN to city though, I know people who do it - think the distance thing is slightly less relevant than perhaps it used to be.

Thanks guys. Is there such thing as living in a certain superb where you have an easier chance if getting work? Especially as a carpenter? Are they even any demands for them in Adelaide at all?

It is more about the distance you will be travelling to the workplace. Sometimes this is not an issue and I know people that drive for 1.5 hours each way to their job. In Adelaide it is often about the employers perception of how far is too far, it is not about how far you (as a potential employee) are prepared to travel. Because of the volume of applications that recruiters now receive, they are often looking for reasons to exclude you rather than include you. This can be done in a more obvious way where they will stipulate part of their screening process (see the advert below) or it can be undertaken behind the scenes.

http://www.seek.com.au/job/26589882

Port Noarlunga is a lovely area and there is plenty of development and building work going on nearby in seaford, not sure if this would improve your husbands chances.

Admin jobs more likely up in city, but nice areas near city more expensive. It's less than 40 mins on train from PN to city though, I know people who do it - think the distance thing is slightly less relevant than perhaps it used to be.

Probably the complete opposite is true, as there is much more traffic on the roads nowadays and Adelaide - which used to be known as the '20 minute city" - is a lot more sprawling now from North to South.

In a difficult job market, as Jessica points out, you need all the plus-points you can get to make your CV not be one of the ones that ends up in the 'reject' pile.

Guest Guest12727

There are areas nearer the city which aren't necessarily more expensive than Pt Noarlunga. Unemployment figures nearer the city are much lower than the outer north and south suburbs. I recommend starting more central, as this gives flexibility for employment, see where you end up working, then deciding on your final location. If you have moved to the other side of the world, you can move to another Adelaide suburb.