Lightweight mechanic to diesel, Heavy goods mechanic

Guest Ollie2011

Guest Ollie2011

Hi all,

I am a mechanic with years of experience, mot tester and currently work for range rover. My qualifications and experience mainly lie with lightweight vehicles, vans and 4wd. Have seen loads and loads of diesel and heavy goods mechanic vacancies, some are fifo jobs. Just wondered if anyone knew if the companies that require diesel mechanics (especially in mining areas) would take on someone like myself or are they really strict about sticking to diesel qualified mechanics only? There seems to be a lot of vacancies for regular mechanics as well so I know I shouldn't have a problem with getting a job at a garage but am thinking about whether I could go in a slightly different direction with my job in oz, would ultimately like to get into the mines but not sure how possible this is but seems to be more vacancies for diesel mechanics in this sort of area. Just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience in this or any advice or knowledge you could pass on would be great!

Most mine jobs require experience with heavy earth moving equipment, at the very least I would expect you would have to complete some kind of training first.

Having said that, you might get lucky, Northpoint Toyota send out teams of mechanics to look after Lancruisers but you have to do get a job with them first, do a training course then apply to be on the roster with no guarantees.

I was told when I enquired that it is a young single mans game, I dont know your circumstances, but if you have a family, consider how they will feel in a new country and you away for weeks on end, then you sitting around all day when you get back while the missus is at work an the kids at school.

I decided it wasn't for me and the extra money would not make up for the disruption to family life but if you think it is the way to go, good luck and I hope it works out

Guest Ollie2011
Most mine jobs require experience with heavy earth moving equipment, at the very least I would expect you would have to complete some kind of training first.

Having said that, you might get lucky, Northpoint Toyota send out teams of mechanics to look after Lancruisers but you have to do get a job with them first, do a training course then apply to be on the roster with no guarantees.

I was told when I enquired that it is a young single mans game, I dont know your circumstances, but if you have a family, consider how they will feel in a new country and you away for weeks on end, then you sitting around all day when you get back while the missus is at work an the kids at school.

I decided it wasn't for me and the extra money would not make up for the disruption to family life but if you think it is the way to go, good luck and I hope it works out

Thanks for that Steve, good to hear perspective from someone out there. Yes got a wife and 2 kids, not school age. Yes that would be the obvious downside, not being around for a week or 2, missus has said it would depend on salary (apparently she does everything anyway :wink: So she wouldn't miss my help!)