work for the dole

Guest Guest14361

Hi there Nobby

This scheme reminds of the UK scheme they had that they called work experience, back in the late 1970s. Unemployed young people had to work for an employer for 6 months as a pre-requisite to get their dole money. After the 6 months were up, the employer just took another unemployed person on. The company inevitably needed more employees, but the unemployed person cost nothing, and the company never did recruit anyone from the dole queue. I know this happened because a family member was part of this scheme, she went through 2 employers as part of her dole requirements. As usual , when the Dole office asked the employer, if the young person was satisfactory, why they did not employ them, the employer always said they could not afford to employ anyone. I think this scheme is similarly going to be rorted big time by unscrupulous employers.

I have a 22 year old son looking for an apprenticeship, who has had several Adelaide employers asking him to work for them for no pay, (one even said he should work for him for 6 months for no pay) and told him he should be grateful they were even prepared to consider allowing him to work for them for free!

Young people are so desperate to work, they advertise on sites like Gumtree offering to work for nothing. There may a few who do not want to work, but there are thousands out there looking continuously for a paying job!

Guest Guest14361

When I first came here as a tradesman years ago, the apprentices were employed as apprentices, then when they came out of their time they were told sorry no job for you, 2weeks later another apprentice was hired. I think the scheme will work for those that dodge having to work.

what apprenticeship is he doing?

Edited by Guest14361