Job Market

cheryh79

Hi CherylH

I run 2 IT related companies, what sort of work are you looking for and what is your background.

I have sent you a PM asking for your CV.

Cheers

Gday ,

How are you saw your post about IT ,I'm. A network engineer and desktop support expert and have been here last three months still no luck in IT job if you could help would really appreciate it ,if there is any IT related job at your site please tell me so that I can forward you my resume,

Regards

Fahad

Hi all,

What is the current status of IT job market in ADL?? I am making the big move in JAN 2015. I am an IT/ICT test professional looking with 9 years of experience. How is the job climate in rest of OZ in IT??

Without knowing your exact skills/experience/qualifications if you use seek.com.au as a guide and use the sub classification 'Testing and Quality Assurance' there are currently 13 jobs in Adelaide, 136 jobs in Melbourne and 188 jobs in Sydney. You also need to consider that not all of these jobs may exist, they may be fishing exercises by agencies/companies and the same job may be being advertised by multiple recruitment agencies. You can see the job market in Adelaide is much smaller, sometimes this can be a positive, sometimes a negative, it depends on many factors.

Without knowing your exact skills/experience/qualifications if you use seek.com.au as a guide and use the sub classification 'Testing and Quality Assurance' there are currently 13 jobs in Adelaide, 136 jobs in Melbourne and 188 jobs in Sydney. You also need to consider that not all of these jobs may exist, they may be fishing exercises by agencies/companies and the same job may be being advertised by multiple recruitment agencies. You can see the job market in Adelaide is much smaller, sometimes this can be a positive, sometimes a negative, it depends on many factors.

Interesting about the jobs that may not exist, and I know you've brought this up before. Just an observation, but one recruiter always seems to have "Systems Administrator" listed as a job - with quite vague details. The fact that it seems to change only a little suggests exactly what you are saying. It may be worth exploring other cities job lists as well from time to time - my employer, for example, has it's head office in Bendigo, but a large office in Adelaide and they recruit jobs in either locations - so our team for example, is split across both sites as I think they sometimes struggle to fill posts from Bendigo. I assume they also advertise in Adelaide but you never know.

Interesting about the jobs that may not exist, and I know you've brought this up before. Just an observation, but one recruiter always seems to have "Systems Administrator" listed as a job - with quite vague details. The fact that it seems to change only a little suggests exactly what you are saying.

People just need to be a bit careful and savvy, the recent article below gives an example of how job adverts may be used not for their intended purpose...

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/acquire-learning-facing-asqa-scrutiny-amid-allegations-of-unethical-behaviour/story-fnkgbb3b-1227112878300

I know in the past I have seen the same job advertised by over 10 agencies and to the untrained eye people then think there are all these jobs available but it is the same job, just advertised multiple times because all the recruitment agencies are fighting to place people and get their commission.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Thanks Jessica for sharing an useful information about non-existing but advertised jobs in websites by agencies/recruitment companies in a rat-race. Do you have any insight on how to identify if the jobs advertised really exists !! and what is the best approach to secure a job in IT/ICT profession in SA state ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.. Same here.. I reached adelaided 3 weeks ago.. sumbitted more than 65 applications for my core job in HR or/and Administration and mostly no feed back and few had the courtesy to reject my application.. I also failed to place a casual or a job in retail till now .. hopefully things become better soon ?

Edited by Hedy Elnemr

I have previously posted this information below.......and just to add......the statistics were from more than a year ago, but the figures would still be a good guide. The job market generally will start to slow down now and I always advise migrants (and have posted this many times on this forum) if you are coming over in Nov/Dec/Jan, you would be wise to ensure you can financially cover yourself possibly until the New Year until the market picks up again.

Taken from the Career One job supplement in The Advertiser (Adelaide), but the figures will be for Australia wide.

Jobseekers should leave at least 3 months for their job search and be prepared for it to take even longer to get into work or find a better position.

That is the median length of time it is taking unemployed jobseekers to be hired as well as a rough guide for those already employed and applying for work elsewhere.

Time spent looking for work...

1 to 4 weeks -16%

4 to 13 weeks -38%

13 to 26 weeks- 18%

26 - 52 weeks -20%

Whole year - 8%

The time it takes people to get jobs of course varies depending on many factors. I know people that have arrived and got work straight away, I have also met many migrants where is has taken 3-6 months to find work. People start stressing when they have only been here for a few weeks and don't have a job, but the process of securing work can take time and I would suggest taking this into consideration when planning your move over here.

In our own circumstances our first jobs back when we arrived in 2007 (and jobs were definitely more plentiful than now in my opinion), my OH gained a temp position within 1 week of arriving and a perm position within 3 weeks of us arriving. I gained a perm position 10 weeks after arriving.

We were both lucky securing perm jobs for our first jobs. I feel if we were arriving now it would be more likely that we would secure temporary contract roles to start with.

However, am still not sure why am not able to get one interview request in casual positions or survival jpbs though .

I think it's important to stay optimistic and believe you will get a job at some point, but you need to be realistic too.

What might be a stop-gap, 'survival job' to you, might be all a young person wants from life. There are a huge amount of young people, from 141/2 upwards who are looking for work and as Claire says, they are cheaper to employ. I know of kids at uni whose hours are cut over holiday periods because it's cheaper for companies to employ the younger ones.

As I understand it, many jobs simply get too many applications for them to reply. I know a school that recently got over 300 applications for a pretty ho-hum job - and from the sound of it that's not unusual. So although it's disappointing not to get the courtesy of a reply / invite to interview, I think that's the way now :sad:.

Perhaps you could look at jobs that kids under 18yo can't do? For example, working in a servo or in a bottleo, or pub? You can get an RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate online for less than $30 (my son paid $19!), then apply for bar work / bottleo etc.

Hopefully you were prepared financially for this. Jessica Berry is right in advising migrants to be prepared, but I guess people sometimes assume their work ethic and enthusiasm will be enough to land them their perfect job from the get-go. And for the lucky ones, it might be.

Good luck,

:cool: LC

Hi LC

I do so agree with you about finding work. My 22 year old son is still out of work after finishing several TAFE courses in Dec 13, - he has had interviews but employers only want 16-18 year old young people so that they can employ them at cheap rates. Some employers even tell him because he is only PR and not a a citizen they are not interested, even though he was not applying for jobs that required any security clearance so not sure why they turned him down on those grounds. He has done several TAFE courses, has a white card, even paid for a forklift licence and a current police clearance but he still is unable to find work.

One of my relatives although a highly skilled electrician with managerial experience is still looking for work for over a year, his problem being he is over 50.

So the young ones are not able to get a foot on the job ladder and the over 50s are being disregarded as well.

he has had interviews but employers only want 16-18 year old young people so that they can employ them at cheap rates.

It's very sad.

There also seems to be a cynical move to offer back-to back traineeships. The kids fulfil everything that's expected of them, receive positive feedback, then aren't offered the job at the end of the year. Not because the company fold the position, but because they get another trainee. Way cheaper.

I suppose that's the economic climate at work, but it's very demoralising. At school kids learn about what employment offers them in terms of psychological benefits, as well as the obvious monetary ones....but reality teaches them a harder lesson. I know kids who are completing / have completed their degrees, finding there's no work for them in their chosen field, then going back to uni for a higher, or alternate degree.

I don't understand the pr thing, as I thought that meant you are like a citizen but with a few less rights. Might it affect what employment bonuses the employer can get from government schemes?

I expect this is no different to anywhere else in the world, but it sucks.

Hope your son finds what he's looking for soon, Meadows.

:wubclub: LC