Are gas engineers needed?

Guest paul smith

Guest paul smith

Hi, My husband is a gas engineer who will need a job when we get to Oz. We have been told this skill is in demand, yet cant seem to trace any openings? It dont suppose there is a great need for installing and repairing central heating , but is domestic gas is used out there? Does anyone know of the equivalent to British Gas Servicing or any other contact details? Many thanks. Becky. :wideeyed:

Guest Nicky, Alan and Kids

Would be interested in any answers - hubby is a gas engineer and we are moving to Adelaide in 3 weeks time, have not been able to contact anyone regarding work for gas engineers and like you say it is on the "wanted list"

Nicky

Guest Maddisons

Hi all

Can not help you on the gas jobs front,but have you checked up on your OH having to go back to college to gain Ozzie licences.I am a qualified electrician in the UK but have to go back to college to gain Ozzie wiring rules course before i can be employed.Will be Studying at PEER TEC a weeks course,worth looking at for intense trade courses,not sure if they do gas?

HAVE YOU TRIED THE USUAL SUSPECTS,http://www.seek.com.au,www.careerone.com.au etc,etc.

Hopefully not put a dampener on things,just making you aware,if you didn't already know!!

Jason and Paula.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

We have a friend who coulcnt get a job as gas engineer as apparently you must be a plumber too. You will need to look into it, re licences too.

sarah

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Thanks for that, looks like might have to get any ol' job when we get there till we find out the score...
You need to look into this more there are ways to start doing it from there. Trouble is I meet too many different people and I cant remember full details.

Try maybe OCBA (office of consumerand busines affiars) they are the guys who dish out licenses, so they should be able to tell you what you need, and what you can do about it.

sarah

Guest jojo
Hi, My husband is a gas engineer who will need a job when we get to Oz. We have been told this skill is in demand, yet cant seem to trace any openings? It dont suppose there is a great need for installing and repairing central heating , but is domestic gas is used out there? Does anyone know of the equivalent to British Gas Servicing or any other contact details? Many thanks. Becky. :wideeyed:

My Oh is in mechanical services/heating and vent. we looked for companies before we came out and he emailed them with his cv. if you look at www.yellowpages.com.au for companies that are in the gas fitting business and perhaps contact them and let them know you are coming out etc. he didnt get a licence as he was able to work under the company one, however he didnt touch gas etc like in the UK where he was corgi industrial not domestic. i am sure we googled gas licences in south australia at it led us to a website and i think we got a "assocation of mechanical services" to be able to contact, so i am sure there will be one for gas fitters, and they will be able to help with licences etc. if not try TAFE south Australia, just keep googling until the right one comes up. i will have another look and PM you if i get the website.

hope that helps

JO xx;)

Guest paul smith

Hi there, Thanks VERY much for that, Paul hopes to work for a company too, so when visa arrives will email with CV. Did wonder about doing a Air con course over here, but its a lot of money and time off when you are self employed.

Thanks again Becky.