Wanting a move to adelaide

Guest Jay1976

Not sure about your trade, but I didn't use an agent and did it all by myself for a 489 visa. Got State Sponsorship and managed (luckily) to secure a job whilst over on a reccie last month!! An agent can obviously give advice and guide you, but it's mostly online and I saved a lot by doing it myself - each to their own though. Good luck.

An agent doesn't do anything re you finding a job. They deal with the visa application if you hire them.

Have you looked through the immi site to see if you can get a visa? They have a visa guide with all the different types of visa. If you go the job sponsored route then be prepared to hire an agent to handle the application, or that the company will.

Depending on the complexity and confidence level, you can give the visa application a go yourself. Plenty do, but plenty hire an agent.

If your occupation is on the CSOL list you can look into applying for a 489 and gaining state sponsorship - you don't need a job to go to. If you log onto the immi.gov.au website you can check to see what you are eligible for and how many points you would have. You will need 60 for state sponsorship.

hi my husband is a chef and that's how we got here - we went with the SA state sponsored visa which gives you PR straight away - he got max points for being under 30 at the time and have approx 9 years experience in the kitchen post apprenticeship which really helped. we did use an agent as we both worked full time and basically I didn't have time to trawl through it all and work out what I had to do so for us, yes it was more expensive to use an agent but worth it to know we had everything correct and we were good to go. he also gave us sample letters and references to go off that were specific to being a chef aso we could roughly advise people what to write!! if u r anything like most chefs including my hubby then he has had a few jobs over the years so we made sure we got back in touch with each one in preparation as we knew we would need references from them. make sure you have all your apprenticeship certificates to hand as u will need these for the application.

unlike a lot of the struggles I read about hubby had no dramas getting a job and was in a good job within a week. there are consistently 2 or 3 chefs jobs a day coming up on seek and he is always being approached for work so adelaide is actually really buoyant and in demand for chefs. having said that sponsorship as a chef is unlikely as the restaurants are generally family run and not large enough to qualify for the business to be eligible to sponsor from overseas - plus to hire an apprentice or casual worker here is much cheaper for them than having to pay a higher salary to a sponsored migrant. to get sponsorship u r looking at having to go remote like Alice springs or resorts in the middle of nowhere - personally I would not rely on sponsorship if u qualify for a PR visa on your own

anyway sorry for waffling on but if u have any questions maybe the first step would be to consult an agent on your visa options as most will do a free initial consultation to see if u qualify