Job prospects - administration

Mazza

Hi All

I am travelling on a 475 visa with 2 years to meet conditions of living in SA and working 1 year. I need to secure employment asap. I am in admin and concerned that in such a common/popular occupation it will be difficult to secure full time employment. I have recently heard it is becoming increasingly difficult to secure full time or any administration positions in Adelaide at the moment. Has anyone experienced this and how successful have you been on 475 or otherwise.

Is it determined by how fussy you are or is it just futile at the moment. I am hard working and committed but do not want to give up jobs here if it may be impossible to secure work in Adelaide. While I am hoping to secure something in the Leisure, entertainment, media, advertising industries I am also very open and adaptable to other positions/industries

Any insight or advice, contacts welcome please.

Guest LynzandStef

Hi Mazza, the industries you mention are not popular in Adelaide. If you're cv is good, you have diverse skills are flexible, willing to drive and open to contract you'll be ok. You just need to be proactive. December January is the worst time to come over. I know it's good for school starts but it's awful for job hunting. February onwards is back to normal.

I know that Diane (regular poster) has a daughter who works on the entertainment side at The Oval - so perhaps try there? There's also the Entertainment Centre, the Festival Centre and of course all of the Festivals that take place throughout the year and region. You might be a bit late for this years (they happen in March) but you could perhaps find something that will suit for while you're here and is working towards next year (or subsequent years - I don't know how far in advance these things happen).

Otherwise there are plenty of recruitment agencies if you're just looking for general admin.

I'd suggest considering temp or casual work as a first step. There are a lot of people at my work that started as temps or on casual contracts and are now permenant staff. A collegue of mine recently got turned down for a job after an interview because they decided to give it to the person that had been doing the role as a casual staff member for just a couple of weeks. Often it is about being in the right place at the right time here in Adelaide. This is in the University sector but I doubt it is much different in other sectors.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and information. I will certainly be approaching the entertainment/festival options as recommend. While that's ideally where I would like to get into I am by no means fussy. I need a job asap and take what is available with an open heart. My fear what that this too is going to be difficult - read a lot of posts about advertised jobs not existing unemployment rate rising and 475 visa being a temp visa a turn off for some employers.

Would it be possible to contact Diane - sorry pretty new to this forum or at least posting on it. Her daughter might know of any positions coming up or the best person to submit my resume to!

Thanks again guys - wish me luck :-)