Help and advice needed please.

clan mac

Hi

we we will be arriving in April, my OH is a construction manager (joiner to trade) with 30 years experience in large scale commercial fit outs. I previously worked in the Civil Service (benefits) as a customer services manager for 18 years before changing career into homeless services and community mental health support. Realistically does anyone have any idea if we will find work? I appreciate I'm not the only one on here asking this so my apologies also I understand that any responses are not guarantees. I'm just trying to get a handle on this amidst my mounting PANIC/TERROR that is fast becoming my normal emotional state. Any advice welcome.

Sincere and grateful thanks,

Lorraine x

I can't comment on the job ascept as its quite specific and its not areas I know anything about.

All I can say is its normal to worry, to panic, to become overwhelmed by things in the run up to migrating. Deep breaths.

I replied in another thread about some stuff, hopefully there is something there that will help calm the nerves.

I would suggest you use seek.com.au as a guide for the availability of jobs in your husbands field of work. If you look under the classification 'Construction' and then the sub-classification 'Management' in Adelaide there are 3 jobs listed, 1 of them is in Western Australia and one of the selection criteria is 'Local Australian experience is essential' and the other is in Qatar! The results would indicate there is not a high level of demand for this role, however it is also the quiet time for recruiting. However this is not always the case, it may be that this industry is 'not what you know, but who you know' and jobs are not advertised. I worked on a large scale engineering/construction project in Adelaide and my manager had never applied for a job in his field, he had always been head hunted. People that worked on the project with me, I have seen turn up working at different projects in Adelaide and many of them secured work through word of mouth or recommendations. It depends what level of job your husband is looking for and he may have to widen his search, but then again you could be sat on the plane coming over and you get chatting to someone and they offer you a job, there are many way to secure work in Adelaide! It also depends what your husbands skill set is, if he has specific skills that recruitment agencies can make money out of, they will be interested in him.

The fact you have sold up and have the flights book, I would assume you have previously researched into your job opportunities and felt confident to make the move over here and you are just having a last minute panic, which for a lot of people is perfectly normal.