Reception teacher help?

mrsB13

I currently teach reception in England and have done for 3 years. My degree is a primary education one and our visas were granted on my primary education degree. The question I am wondering is would I be able to work in an a early years classroom, or would I need a further qualification to teach this even though I teach early years in England? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Gemma

As a primary teacher looking to work in early years in Oz I have had to apply to ACECQA to have my qualifications assessed. From a chat I had with an Early Years Centre whilst in Adelaide, I was told that my qualifications would likely be assessed as diploma level and I would have to carry out some training with 0-2 year olds to qualify as an Early Years teacher. My qualifications from the UK are a BA Hons in Childhood Studies and a PGCE Early Years and Primary Education, but because I did not do an early years placement during my studies with 0-2 year olds it was unlikely I would be classed as an Early Years teacher without further training in that age range. Hope this helps, but worth looking at the site yourself. Good luck. p.s. I am expecting the results of my assessment shortly so will keep you informed.

Thank you for the reply. Really informative if I decide to work with the little ones but thus far I'm not looking to work with under 3s, ideally I'm looking at reception and hoping my BA Hons in primary education with QTS (5-11) will suffice for this?

Will definitely look into your suggestions though so thank you!I've also already had my qualifications assessed & certified by AITSL as a primary teacher so hoping this can get me some TRT work to begin with.

:)

Edited by mrsB13
left something out

Oops forgot to say, I also had my qualifications assessed by AITSL as an Early Years Teacher (although I am a qualified primary teacher too) but that is still not enough for actual registration in Early Years. AITSL is for visa purposes only so you will still need to seek registration with the SA registration board and/or ACECQA.

• 1 month later...
Oops forgot to say, I also had my qualifications assessed by AITSL as an Early Years Teacher (although I am a qualified primary teacher too) but that is still not enough for actual registration in Early Years. AITSL is for visa purposes only so you will still need to seek registration with the SA registration board and/or ACECQA.

Hi

I am currently going through AITSL assessment for Early Years teacher. My PGCE is in Early years and my supervised teaching was in total 110 days with the age group 4-5 and 5-6. Fingers crossed for a positive assessment!

I would like to teach early years once we arrive in Australia on a 189 so have been looking into ACECQA. At the moment I have no experience working with 0-2 but wondered if I do some volunteer work in a local nursery over the Easter or Summer holidays would this be enough? Any information will be much appreciated :-) x

Hi, that sounds like it should be OK for AITSL, but as you are probably aware that is just the first step. Once you get AITSL assessment out of the way you need to have your qualifications checked again for ACECQA and the Teacher Registration Board for SA. ACECQA need you to have experience with 0-2, so I'd definitely do some voluntary work. They do say on the form that it should be a uni placement but I have just passed the assessment with some casual voluntary work I did some 8 years ago!! Good luck and just ask if you have any more questions.

Thank you for the quick reply. Yep I know it going to be a long road and lots of form filling and box ticking! Did you contact ACECQA directly? I've had a look on the website but I'm unsure about who to contact about overseas qualifications. Well done on getting your assessment through x

Go onto ACECQA website. Then into "qualifications" tab, then select "Apply to have your qualifications assessed (including overseas qualifications)" - See more at: http://acecqa.gov.au/educators-and-providers1/qualifications#ApplyQuals

Basically you will need to complete their form, have all docs certified at a Magistrates court (you will need to make an appointment for this and there is a fee), then strangely enough you can attach scanned copies of the certified documents to them! It seems to defeat the purpose of having them certified but that's what they want and at least you can keep them for your teacher registration with the TRB at a later date. Good luck and again, any questions just ask.