Is it worth getting teacher reg. even if I won't be teaching for a few years ?

Reena1991

Hi,

Hoping some fellow teachers in SA could give some advice. I have PR based on my partners trade, I am a primary teacher and would like to teach once we get to adelaide. However, this probably won't happen until my children are all at school in a few years.Having researched what I need to do to get my teacher rego ,using Adelaide_bound's blog (made it so much easier to understand!) -getting qualifications assessed, getting first aid & abuse and neglect training, up to date uk police check etc, I'm wondering, even though I won't teach for a few years, is it worth me sorting out my teaching reg once I arrive so that all the major paper work is done while everything is fresh in my mind? If I do this, would I need to reapply every year for teacher reg? And if I do need to reapply every year or whatever it is, would I need to go through the whole paperwork fiasco (qualifications assessed, justice of peace witnessing training certificates etc) that you have to do the first time round or is it a case of once it's on the system, you just pay a fee each year to teach? I'd rather get all the paper work out of the way now or when I first get there and then When I'm ready to start teaching again in a few years il be good to go rather than having to go through sorting out all the uk police check etc.

Hope this makes sense!

No its not because you have a probationary period...used to be 5 years...think it is 2 years now to get something like 200+ days of teaching..plus you need to do first aid training etc that only lasts 3 years. The subs were about 300 dollars for 2 years reg..but that was a while ago. Why go through the time and expense..you can do,it in a few years time.