Social Work in Adelaide

Duckie

Hi, I have been reading your posts for a while. We are planning to come emigrate around April next year. My brother and his wife and kids have moved out to Adelaide recently and we would love to join them.

This is my first post and it is probably a long shot. I was wondering if anyone knew what the job situation is for social workers in adelaide? Are there any jobs and where would be the best place to look for them? I have seen a few job adverts on agency websites but, I know that is not always a true reflection of reality.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I'm a social worker and moved here 2 years ago (child protection). Social work is currently on the skills list and I obtained my permanent residency with those skills. I've never had an issue with getting work, however I would avoid government positions as they are even worse than in UK, and its easy to avoid as the NGO sector here is pretty big. You also must have your skills assessed which costs $1000 and you can only get a positive assessment if you have a degree in social work.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if anyone knew what the job situation is for social workers in adelaide? Are there any jobs and where would be the best place to look for them? I have seen a few job adverts on agency websites but, I know that is not always a true reflection of reality.

Hi Duckie,

seek.com.au or indeed.com.au are the best places to look for direct jobs. Markets vary depending on your speciality. Disability is going through a huge individualised funding change, and so that market is huge at the moment in SA. (Different in different states though) I agree that not for profits can offer good roles, I haven't worked for the government here, but some of their training I've attended has been terrible!

I work as a Disability services manager for a not for profit. Love it.