looking for job as cashier in pharmacy,bookshop,greengrocer,pls help

wallaby

hi,

I arrived at Adelaide on Jan1,2015 & have been looking for admin/logistics related jobs intensively for the past 4months through Seek.com, careerone.com, indeed.com,jobseeker.com...but no response.I have 10yrs working experience as logistics/project coordinator role in HP/Agilent. I understand I have no local experience,thus, re-adjusting my expectation & hopefully I could land onto any job (cashier, shop assistant,etc) which comes by.

I try to understand how the local recruiting process works. Whenever I pass by Chemist warehouse or any greengrocer or baker delights wondering how does one manage to get the job whereby I am not even seeing the job is advertised in any their companies website or through any employment website. I always see the different cashiers at Chemist warehouse.

Do they hire the cashier or sales persons through their dedicated employment agencies or word of mouth?? Anyone in this job, pls enlighten me. thanks:smile:

Chemist warehouse or any greengrocer or baker delights wondering how does one manage to get the job

I don't know about chemists, but certainly greengrocers and Baker's Delight, Foodland etc hire a fair amount of kids, particularly those under 18.

The kids generally just pop in with their résumé. Sometimes they are vouched for by existing employees, and this obviously helps them get their foot in the door.

Obviously some older people are employed in retail, but the younger the employee, the cheaper. These jobs offer work experience and are a great start, although can be disappointing as the young person hits the terrible age of 18, attracts a higher rate of pay ....and find their shifts tail off.

Maybe try places that need people over the age of 18, such as servos and anything in bar work, bottle shops etc. For the latter, you need to have a certificate for the Responsible Service of Alcohol, which is on online qualification costing around $25.

Hopefully @Diane will be along soon, as I'm sure she posted a few suggestions re hospitality work once before.

HTH,

LC

Have you tried approaching companies directly. Many jobs here just never seem to get advertised. Get a good CV done and look at some AustrLian examples to help. Then follow up with a call. You need to sell yourself a bit. Also ask friends and neighbours networking is the way many people get a foot in the door.

Hi,

I am staying around Kensington. I do not mind travel far for any casual or part time job.

Yes, I have tried approaching the shops directly few times...seeking some clarification on the jobs, went home, did some researches on the shops before handing in the cover letter & resume to them. Again, the problem is I do not have the relevant experience nor specific skills which they r looking for, although I feel some of these r transferable skills fr my previous jobs. I also not have any local experience, except doing some volunteering works in my boy's school.

I am contemplated to pursue a relevant trainings as pharmacy assistant. Did some researches & found out that the only course I could do is cert II in community pharmacy, as the rest of the courses, S2S3 or dispensary tech, need one to be currently employed in pharmacy. Cert II in comm pharmacy is very costly, abt $1K. Again, it does not guarantee if I could get the job after obtaining the cert. Furthermore, there r lots more experienced & qualified pharmacists or retail salespersons or undergraduates, competing for such posts.

Well, I have seen some spent quite an amount of $$ in getting themselves equipped with all the trainings/cert, yet, they r still waiting to be employed.

any reply?

I would consider leaving the state. Young people and also older who can't find work are advised the same thing. There is much more work in places like Melbourne or Sydney. There is only a moral obligation to remain if you are on a skilled visa.

If you see even the most basic jobs advertised here, there can be 200-300 applicants. Locals will get the job first. Nothing against Adelaide the same would probably happen in the UK also. The jobs situation is not good in Adelaide and is only going to get worse in the coming years. My advice is leave before you get stuck. If you can't leave because of your circumstances I would try a short term course in aged care or something similar where you may get work. But if you don't want to lose your current experience and it sounds like you have a lot, leave would be my personal advice.

All the best.

Edited by yoda22

I do know how difficult it can be.

I also do know that the constant rejection or deafening silence when you send out applications strips away at your self confidence.

I see it often with my guests but have experienced it firsthand.

When we moved here 8 years ago it was expected that we would both walk into jobs. It wasn't the case. despite my skills being on the MODL it turned out that South Australia was the only state that required registration, and the registration board only met twice a year! I went from place to place handing in my cv and persistence paid off.

For my OH it was completely different. He was at the top of his game in his profession and his applications for his type of work resulted in silence. It was discovered that he couldn't be a trainer because he didn't have Cert 4 in training and assessment and this is why he didn't get interviews. He did the same as you..lowered his sights to include any type of employment whilst he completed a years Cert 4 course at TAFE. The process can strip you of your self confidence and this makes job hunting even more difficult.

We are through this now but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

This may help...

A friend of mine who moved here 6 months after I did applied for many management roles. The result was rejection after rejection and he decided to apply for everything as long as it brought in dollars...same as you. He was fortunate to meet someone from his home city...who was at the career agency and she filled him in on some aspects of the job selection process. In short, she told him that due to the privacy laws and the difficulty in checking overseas references, many employers just couldn't be bothered. What she did was to get him to sign a declaration allowing her to contact his references overseas...which she did and he was therefore reference checked by the agency when he applied for positions. She arranged an interview in a senior management position which he attended and he got the job. On the very same day he received two letters from the company...one was to tell him that he had been unsuccessful (his own independent application) and the other saying that he had the job!

I am sorry that I didn't reply to your post above. I know how important it is to have a support system and I expected others to respond too, I know how you are feeling. I often hear of positions in my local area but not Kensington and surrounds..sorry.

I hope that there is someone else on the site who know of something. I think that we need a dedicated section on here so that people can constantly give updates on any job that they hear of.

I will be posting a thread soon with a few links.

All the best and do try to stay positive

There is a Facebook group for the northern suburbs that I saw a link to the other day - there may well be something similar for the Eastern suburbs. If you are a FB user, try searching with terms such as Adelaide, Employment, Opportunities, and similar - I know on the northern one the other day there was a bakery job. Good luck.