Help for Job Seekers...

Our employment figures released at the beginning of May do not paint a good picture for Adelaide. With the demise of manufacturing jobs it’s unfortunately going to get worse before it gets better. Some suburbs in the far north have youth unemployment figures above 40%. Although the retail, housing and tourism sector is still strong it cannot satisfy the needs of a diverse labour pool.

I often see job ads, notices in windows, and hear of vacancies from friends and it’s clear that there are jobs that people just aren’t aware of. The first person to hear of a vacancy may be the person working in that sector and a jumpstart to approach that business may be a real advantage for a person looking for work. This is where we can help.

I hope that this thread goes a little way towards securing employment for some out of work people.

I remember reading about a programme called “Operation Starfish” and the quote from author Loren Eiseley

As a young boy walked the beach at dawn, he noticed an old man ahead of him picking up starfish and tossing them into the sea. Catching up with the man, the boy asked why he was doing this. The old man explained to the boy that the stranded starfish would die if left in the morning sun.

“But the beach goes on for miles and there are millions of starfish,” exclaimed the boy. “How can your effort make any difference?”

The old man looked at the starfish in his hand and then threw it safely into the waves. He turned to the boy and said, “It made a difference to that one

Let’s see if we can make a small difference.

If you can post details of any available job or contact point for a job that will be great start…

I will make a start and hopefully other people add to it:

Youth Unemployment:

Anyone who has lived or visited Adelaide will see that young people are the cogs that run the fast food and retail industry.

My son works for Woolworth’s so let’s start there. We secured him a job 5 years ago by registering him on the WOW site.

Woolworth’s have their own employment web site. It’s called World of Woolworth’s or WOW.

The details are:

http://www.wowcareers.com.au/page/Our_team/Our_Brands/

Woolworth’s have many brands such as Big W, BWS, Dan Murphy’s, Masters etc. Employment is not limited to youth and to entry-level workers.

I have just completed a search of the site and there are currently 34 jobs available within 80 km of Port Noarlunga (some are at the local Colonnades centre and in Seaford, others in the north).

The web site allows you to register, load your details and CV, thereby making future applications quick and easy.

This is one example of one employer. There are armies of young people working in retail and replenishment throughout Adelaide. It might not be their ideal job but it brings in the Dollars and it’s always easier to get another job once you already have one. My son was fortunate that Woolworth’s was starting its new online shopping division and they were looking for 40 people. There are a number of big stores (Bunnings, Masters, Aldi etc) all in the pipeline and timing and being ready is really important.

With retail the main thing to remember is that employment is fluid. There is a high rate of turnover and if you apply somewhere today, try again tomorrow or the day after. There are always people leaving and persistence will pay off.

Bunnings is another perfect example. Their employment website is: https://www.bunningscareers.com.au/search#

Register your details and be ready for when vacancies arise / new stores open. If you know anyone who works there ask them to let you know when positions are vacant…they will be first people to hear. Employment is not limited to youth and to entry-level workers.

Another major employer of youth is McDonalds.

My daughter, son and plenty of their friends have all worked there. Ignore the stigma of the McJob…it’s employment, and pays Dollars, and with flexible hours allows TAFE training / other career paths to be explored.

Their website is:

https://apply.mcdonalds.com.au/public/index.cfm?action=showPublicContent&assetCategoryId=4310

The recruitment process is:

Recruitment Process

Step One – Online application form

The first step starts right here in the form of an online application form and quiz. You can apply to up to 10 restaurants within one application. As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a short quiz made up of multiple-choice questions. This is to help McDonald's understand the position in our team that suits you best.

• Make sure you have the following info at your fingertips before you start the application:
    • Your contact details including personal email address
    • Right to work information if applicable
    • Dates and details of any work history
    • Current contact details of at least two referees (1 personal and 1 business or academic)

[*]Also, think about the hours and days that you want to work, taking into consideration school, sports and outside commitments.

[*]If you have not turned 16 years old yet, you will need a parent or guardian’s consent. Consent can be given either electronically or via a signed paper form. Parental consent must be provided before or during your interview.

Step Two – Interview

If your application looks good you will be invited to an interview via email. The interview normally takes place at the restaurant and should take approximately 30 minutes. The interview consists of a face-to-face interview and may also include a brief supervised audition on shift.

The interview gives both you and McDonald's the chance to see if we are right for each other.

• Print off your application form and don't forget to bring along any supporting documentation that you may need, such as your Passport, Birth Certificate, right to work permit or if applicable, Parent/Guardian Consent Form (if applicable).
  • You may like to think about the answers to the following questions:
    • Why do you want to work at Macca's?
    • Give some examples of a situation where you have worked or participated in a team.

[*]Wear something clean and smart that you feel comfortable in. It is okay to come in your school uniform. Ensure that you wear closed low-heeled, non-skid shoes.

Step Three - Reference checks

We may conduct a reference check to confirm any information that may assist us with your application. This could be with your previous employer, school teacher or parent/guardian.

• Don't forget to let your referee(s) know that we may call.

It’s the same story as any other retail job. If there isn’t a job today there may well be one tomorrow.

I hope that others add to this thread with details of vacancies in other employment fields and for different workers. Every job reported may make a difference.

Guest Guest14361

Correct me if I'm wrong but Woolies announced 400 redundancies??? Re the bus drivers vacancy, how much is the licence to get anyone know and what are the split shift hours?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Woolies announced 400 redundancies???

According to this article in The Australian this week, they have already cut 400 jobs, so this is another 400, but I think it is from their office/back operations, I wonder if any jobs at the Gepps Cross office have gone.

Woolworths is aiming to "neutralise" the impact of its chief rivals Coles and Aldi on its grocery sales, outlining a new pricing and value strategy that will see around 400 staff axed.

Investors responded poorly to the news. By 4.15pm (AEST) Woolworths shares were 5.03 per cent lower at $28.14, against a benchmark index decline of 2.3 per cent.

Woolworths said its investment in the customer offer will be funded through "a significant and ongoing" focus on cost reductions. The company's cost reduction drive is expected to deliver more than $500m in savings across fiscal 2015 and fiscal 2016.

Around 400 support roles have already been cut and Woolworths said it expects to cut a similar number by the end of fiscal 2016.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/latest/woolworths-q3-sales-slip/story-e6frg90f-1227338153958

Edited by Jessica Berry

Correct me if I'm wrong but Woolies announced 400 redundancies??? Re the bus drivers vacancy, how much is the licence to get anyone know and what are the split shift hours?

Woolies did announce that they were cutting 400 ...but that was country wide and not front end staff.

My OH had an overseas extra heavy goods licence...which wasn't valid here even though he had driven emergency vehicles for 25 years. Anyway, he now has a HR licence which is the licence required for the bendy buses. The licence could cost you $2000 if you do it by yourself but Southlink (not the company in the ad as that is Torrens) allowed you to do the licence through them. You had the option of paying for it or they will deduct it in installment off your pay. I don't know whether they still do it or whether Torrens Transit has the same arrangement. I often see the Southlink ads as well.

Our employment figures released at the beginning of May do not paint a good picture for Adelaide. With the demise of manufacturing jobs it’s unfortunately going to get worse before it gets better. Some suburbs in the far north have youth unemployment figures above 40%. Although the retail, housing and tourism sector is still strong it cannot satisfy the needs of a diverse labour pool.

I often see job ads, notices in windows, and hear of vacancies from friends and it’s clear that there are jobs that people just aren’t aware of. The first person to hear of a vacancy may be the person working in that sector and a jumpstart to approach that business may be a real advantage for a person looking for work. This is where we can help.

I hope that this thread goes a little way towards securing employment for some out of work people.

I remember reading about a programme called “Operation Starfish” and the quote from author Loren Eiseley

As a young boy walked the beach at dawn, he noticed an old man ahead of him picking up starfish and tossing them into the sea. Catching up with the man, the boy asked why he was doing this. The old man explained to the boy that the stranded starfish would die if left in the morning sun.

“But the beach goes on for miles and there are millions of starfish,” exclaimed the boy. “How can your effort make any difference?”

The old man looked at the starfish in his hand and then threw it safely into the waves. He turned to the boy and said, “It made a difference to that one

Let’s see if we can make a small difference.

If you can post details of any available job or contact point for a job that will be great start…

I will make a start and hopefully other people add to it:

Youth Unemployment:

Anyone who has lived or visited Adelaide will see that young people are the cogs that run the fast food and retail industry.

My son works for Woolworth’s so let’s start there. We secured him a job 5 years ago by registering him on the WOW site.

Woolworth’s have their own employment web site. It’s called World of Woolworth’s or WOW.

The details are:

http://www.wowcareers.com.au/page/Our_team/Our_Brands/

Woolworth’s have many brands such as Big W, BWS, Dan Murphy’s, Masters etc. Employment is not limited to youth and to entry-level workers.

I have just completed a search of the site and there are currently 34 jobs available within 80 km of Port Noarlunga (some are at the local Colonnades centre and in Seaford, others in the north).

The web site allows you to register, load your details and CV, thereby making future applications quick and easy.

This is one example of one employer. There are armies of young people working in retail and replenishment throughout Adelaide. It might not be their ideal job but it brings in the Dollars and it’s always easier to get another job once you already have one. My son was fortunate that Woolworth’s was starting its new online shopping division and they were looking for 40 people. There are a number of big stores (Bunnings, Masters, Aldi etc) all in the pipeline and timing and being ready is really important.

With retail the main thing to remember is that employment is fluid. There is a high rate of turnover and if you apply somewhere today, try again tomorrow or the day after. There are always people leaving and persistence will pay off.

Bunnings is another perfect example. Their employment website is: https://www.bunningscareers.com.au/search#

Register your details and be ready for when vacancies arise / new stores open. If you know anyone who works there ask them to let you know when positions are vacant…they will be first people to hear. Employment is not limited to youth and to entry-level workers.

Another major employer of youth is McDonalds.

My daughter, son and plenty of their friends have all worked there. Ignore the stigma of the McJob…it’s employment, and pays Dollars, and with flexible hours allows TAFE training / other career paths to be explored.

Their website is:

https://apply.mcdonalds.com.au/public/index.cfm?action=showPublicContent&assetCategoryId=4310

The recruitment process is:

Recruitment Process

Step One – Online application form

The first step starts right here in the form of an online application form and quiz. You can apply to up to 10 restaurants within one application. As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a short quiz made up of multiple-choice questions. This is to help McDonald's understand the position in our team that suits you best.

• Make sure you have the following info at your fingertips before you start the application:
    • Your contact details including personal email address
    • Right to work information if applicable
    • Dates and details of any work history
    • Current contact details of at least two referees (1 personal and 1 business or academic)

[*]Also, think about the hours and days that you want to work, taking into consideration school, sports and outside commitments.

[*]If you have not turned 16 years old yet, you will need a parent or guardian’s consent. Consent can be given either electronically or via a signed paper form. Parental consent must be provided before or during your interview.

Step Two – Interview

If your application looks good you will be invited to an interview via email. The interview normally takes place at the restaurant and should take approximately 30 minutes. The interview consists of a face-to-face interview and may also include a brief supervised audition on shift.

The interview gives both you and McDonald's the chance to see if we are right for each other.

• Print off your application form and don't forget to bring along any supporting documentation that you may need, such as your Passport, Birth Certificate, right to work permit or if applicable, Parent/Guardian Consent Form (if applicable).
  • You may like to think about the answers to the following questions:
    • Why do you want to work at Macca's?
    • Give some examples of a situation where you have worked or participated in a team.

[*]Wear something clean and smart that you feel comfortable in. It is okay to come in your school uniform. Ensure that you wear closed low-heeled, non-skid shoes.

Step Three - Reference checks

We may conduct a reference check to confirm any information that may assist us with your application. This could be with your previous employer, school teacher or parent/guardian.

• Don't forget to let your referee(s) know that we may call.

It’s the same story as any other retail job. If there isn’t a job today there may well be one tomorrow.

I hope that others add to this thread with details of vacancies in other employment fields and for different workers. Every job reported may make a difference.

In terms of youth unemployment, the qualities recruiters look for are often the same as any other recruitment. Give me someone who is keen, actually wants the job I am advertising (and their parents are not the ones doing all the ground work), reliable, flexible, committed etc. I worked on a recruitment project for apprenticeship positions. We had nearly 1,000 applications. Emails were sent to candidates inviting them for testing. A quarter of the applicants didn't respond. The organisation decided we should ring each person up that hadn't responded to the email (if I was running the recruitment this would not have happened). General lack of interest probably sums up the responses I got!

While working at the same place I was completing reference checks for other positions. One of the best references I received was from a supervisor at Woolworths who absolutely sang the praises of their employee who worked on the checkouts/shelf stacking. Work experience (of all kinds) is valuable.

Guest Guest14361

I used to be working in heavy engineering, no longer in it as the pay was crap, but anyway apprentices were taken on by the company, they did the normal 4 year apprenticeship passed qualified then laid off as no work to keep them on, ie too expensive, then a few weeks later more apprentices taken on as cheap labour. One big roundabout I'm afraid

re the split shifts on bus drivers, this normally means a shift in the morning and another later in the day, so two trips a day to work and back.....!!

re the maccas where in the ad does it say required to work a nightshift....usually a Friday or Saturday night..don't forget that the boys work in the back and the girls out front..

Edited by Guest14361

observations of the work experience I saw; candidates just not up to it, no motivation, unreliable, underlying issues with most of them, 7 hour variance in a two week period vs timesheet (that's just not honest) and in their defence, the employer did not invest, train, motivate nor mentor them, and used them for demeaning and menial cheap labour.

Thus solidifying their lack of motivation and creating a half-person for the labour market, poor things really, no future

Guest Guest14361
observations of the work experience I saw; candidates just not up to it, no motivation, unreliable, underlying issues with most of them, 7 hour variance in a two week period vs timesheet (that's just not honest) and in their defence, the employer did not invest, train, motivate nor mentor them, and used them for demeaning and menial cheap labour.

Thus solidifying their lack of motivation and creating a half-person for the labour market, poor things really, no future

yes I agree I saw the same who didn't last long, yet I also saw the potential good tradesman who could go a long way, only to see their faces when they were told ...we can't keep you....

yep, agree with that, the carpet pulled out from young people who gave their all is upsetting to see, I emphasise with these kids (22-30 year olds) and remember the days when I was their age, I was blessed with benevolent mentors who showed me the ropes and trying to give this back in many dysfunctional adelaide businesses has only resulted in personal and professional disappointment to me.

The words squander and waste of youth potential brilliance don't even come close, I despair at how to fix it

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen the following vacancies in the past few days.

In the Colonnades centre there is a shop called Equip. They had a notice in their window but I don't see the vacancy on their site. There are two other vacancies though:

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD]talentEnergyAndPassionfruit.png Your talent, energy and passion for helping customers find that perfect latest accessory is what will continue to make the eQUIP brand so successful.

Join our fast growing team and enjoy perks such as staff discounts, flexible working hours and working in a fun young team environment.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]COUNTRY[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]STATE/REGION[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]POSITION[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left][TABLE=width: 0, align: left]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] startSearch.png [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=width: 680, align: left] Casual - West Lakes

SA

Casual - West Lakes

Read more...

Casual - Harbourtown

SA

Casual - Harbourtown

Read more...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I also saw a vacancy at Bing Boy in the Colonnades (must speak Mandarin)...

At the same time I saw a young boy handing in his uniform from KFC (always vacancies for young people in these areas).

On the City of Onkaparinga web site they have the following vacancies:

Position Title: Coordinator, Arts Centre Port Noarlunga

Job Type: Permanent

Job Status: Full time

Contact: Jason Haskett, Team LeaderArts and Cultural Development

Phone: 0408 956 849

Ref No: 3055

Applications close 5pm Wednesday 3 June 2015

Position Title: Senior Community Development Officer - Neighbourhoods

Job Type: Contract until 30 June 2018

Job Status: Full -time

Phone: (08) 8384 0766

Ref No: 3065

Applications close 5pm Friday 29 May 2015

Position Title: RACV Operator – Waste Management

Job Type: Contract until May 2016

Job Status: Full time

Applications close 5 pm Monday 25 May 2015

Website link: http://www.daviesstewart.com/positions-vacant

Link to live SEEK ad: http://www.seek.com.au/job/28646313?pos=1&type=standout

Position Title: NRM Education Coordinator (MOA5)

Job Type: Contract – up to 12 months

Job Status: Full -time

Contact: Margaret Ficken, Project Support Officer, Strategy & Sustainability

Phone: (08) 8301 7355

Ref No: 8052

Applications close 5pm Wednesday 20 May 2015

There is a facebook page created on the 15th of May called Jobs in Onkaparinga Council...for people to post vacancies on there.

This was just listed:

Randstad at Morphett Vale are currently seeking experienced assembly workers on day, afternoon and night shift for fast paced assembly work in Lonsdale. 38 hours per week. Immediate starts available. Must be physically fit and able to pass a drug test. To apply, please drop into the office between 9am and 5pm weekdays with your résumé, 5/198 Main South Road, Morphett Vale.

I called at KFC Seaford a couple of hours ago.

They have a notice inside and they are looking for casual staff, uni students, high school etc for various shifts. There's a large migrant community in the surrounding suburbs and I thought it might be useful for anyone who has young people looking for work...

The Equip store in Colonnades still has the notice in the window too....

Brilliant thread Tamara!

Bunnings are opening their new Seaford store in Sept, website has list of vacancies.

Adelaide is big on the "hidden jobs market" where jobs are not advertised but are available. It's so frustrating when you're on the outside trying to get in but you have to keep talking to people, keep asking around.

My first job here was a maternity leave position that wasn't advertised (got the interview by asking everyone if they knew of any jobs going). Then the company next door asked me to join them when that role ended and created a position for me.

So my advice is to take the opportunities you can get even if it's not what you really want. Get a good name for yourself. It's so small here in Adelaide and everyone knows everyone else it seems. Getting Aussie qualifications really helped my case too.

And finally tell everyone here how much you love it here! Everyone likes to hear and be part of an optimistic success story not home sick grumblings.

Do you remember which stores? Aldi's website shows no jobs in South Australia at all.

Do you remember where you saw the ads?

I'm over from the UK on a WHV and I'm looking for something but having no luck so far.

It was on the onkaparinga site. The facebook one. There was also an article on last nights news about Aldi recruiting.

I am so disappointed with what PIA has become. I posted above sharing my experience trying to help those new to Adelaide to understand how it works here. PIA helped us liads before we arrived 3 years ago. It was a friendly helpful forum with great advice. Now I see my post has been copied and pasted to start another thread and belittle my good intentions. It has left a bad taste in my mouth and after this I won't be posting again. PIA seems to have been taken over by bitter angry trolls who want to make everyone else unhappy.

I am so disappointed with what PIA has become. I posted above sharing my experience trying to help those new to Adelaide to understand how it works here. PIA helped us liads before we arrived 3 years ago. It was a friendly helpful forum with great advice. Now I see my post has been copied and pasted to start another thread and belittle my good intentions. It has left a bad taste in my mouth and after this I won't be posting again. PIA seems to have been taken over by bitter angry trolls who want to make everyone else unhappy.

Please reconsider.

The comments were directed against me for posting something that was attempting to be helpful.

If you don't post on here again then they win. Yours is a voice of reason and balance against a small element of negative people (person with different log ins?) who have one goal in mind. I have mentioned the "silent majority" and to lose a balanced viewpoint is exactly what they are out to achieve.

Hey. I sent you a PM already but I'll explain here as best I can.

From what I can see, your thread wasn't copied and pasted by the person you think. What happenend was that that person posted a reply in this thread and went off at a tangent, pretty off topic (having quoted your post) and so a mod split the post from the thread and gave it its own thread so as not to detract from this one. This left the quoted post in.

I did say somewhere in that new thread that the post had been split out from this thread, but that has probably been missed by some reading.

It wasn't split to cause upset or pee people off or for any sinister reason, more to prevent this thread trying to help people, from getting derailed.

Hoping I've explained it ok as I'm trying to chase up 2 threads and numerous comments in both to piece it all together myself.

To prevent this happening again in the future I've asked mods to ensure that if a thread is split to start a new thread (for being off topic or worthy of its own thread or some such) that they ensure they post a note in the new thread to inform people its a split thread. This should hopefully prevent confusion or people thinking they are being trolled or some such.

Regards

snifter

• 2 weeks later...

The latest job figures are horrid but at least there are some areas where jobs are being created.

They have also started the build of the Masters store in Noarlunga too.

Work starts on Masters store at Parafield, generating hundreds of jobs

• THE ADVERTISER
  • JUNE 12, 2015 2:03PM

246738-3523971e-109b-11e5-97cb-591a1d9825c0.jpg

South Australia is set to get its third Masters store.

WORK is starting today on a new Masters hardware store at Parafield Airport, to create 300 jobs during construction and 130 ongoing jobs when the store opens.

The new 13,500sq m Masters Parafield Airport store, part of the Woolworths-owned chain is expected to open in May 2016, near hardware giant Bunnings’ Parafield store.The announcement is a welcome boon for the state, coming amid a double jobs shock yesterday.As the rest of the nation *celebrated a slight drop in the May unemployment level to 6 per cent,SA’s official jobless rate hit 7.6 per cent.Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis, who attended the sod turning ceremony today, said the state’s unemployment rate was unacceptably high.index

“I’m not happy with it. I don’t know anyone who’s happy with it,” he said.“The (state) budget will be about creating jobs in the upcoming 12 to 24 months.”The release of the state’s unemployment figures followed The Advertiser’s exclusive report yesterday revealing that the closure of Port Augusta’s two power stations and the Leigh Creek coal mine would cost hundreds of jobs. Alinta *Energy confirmed the report yesterday, announcing that 440 jobs would go.The new Parafield store will be the second Masters store in Adelaide, and the third in South Australia. A store opened late last year near Adelaide Airport, and another at Mount Gambier in 2012.It will have a large paint department, tool shop, garden section, bathroom and kitchen display area and drive-through area to assist local tradies and builders.Masters senior property development manager Rob Hain said: “The construction will employ a number of people from the area and we look forward to strengthening our ties with the local community.”State treasurer Tom Koutsantonis and Ramsay MP Zoe Bettison will attend a sod-turning ceremony at the site today.