what has changed in 10 months ? gotten better or worse ?

This is from last july 2014.

South Australia’s job figures have thrust it into a special place – the worst in the nation and with little or no prospect of change.

For the families of 64,500 unemployed, it makes for a dark and cold winter.

Blaming international currency trends, federal Budget cuts or statistical anomalies doesn’t wash either when the official figures show that every other state is doing better than SA.

Reflecting on June’s unemployment figures, leading economic analyst Michael O’Neil said “the medium to longer-term outlook is in our hands” while the short-term reality of the unemployment rate shows SA is in need of immediate stimulus.

O’Neil and his Adelaide University-based think tank, the SA Centre for Economic Studies, have been warning about structural deficiencies in the local economy for several years.

The State Government, meanwhile, points to the prospect of some new shops opening in Kilburn as an example of job creation...........................

read on:

http://indaily.com.au/news/2014/07/11/jobs-policies-tatters/

Don't know about 10 months but its certainly go worse over the last 10 days - its rained non stop!

I wouldn't buy a car if I couldn't afford it and I wouldn't have animals if I didn't have space so I certainly wouldn't move to a new country if I didn't have a job. In fact that job would have to be better than the one I was leaving to make it worth moving half way around the world.

Australia isn't the land of milk and honey. The streets aren't paved with gold. Life here, I think, is pretty good and having just returned form the UK I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to move back there. If job security was an issue I'd stay in the UK but to me, I'm a freelancer, security has never been an issue as I've made my own path.

Adapt and survive or rather adapt and flourish.

I agree with you Spanners, however, it takes some ahem *&alls to risk it and move, I thought we were pretty employable anywhere in the world, but adelaide is just too slow and under developed for my skill set and it closes down options for my children rather than open them up, our family has grown and matured nicely in australia and now we believe it is time for another chapter.

p.s. I thought I was multi-skilled, very experienced, multi-role until I moved to adelaide, in 9 years of freelance work in Sydney I was out of work say, 2 months? In three years in adeliade, I was out of work for more than 16 months...... bizarre, given I picked up a role in London within 6 working days of being back (and three of those were due diligence and ID confirmation due terrorist rules) , this does not bode well for the future of adelaide as a centre for anything....

p.p.s , I took my daughter to a city school down magill road once on the bus , it took us over 1hour 15 min. Not sure how that fits, but my bike ride in Sydney was almost the same as my bike ride in adeliade, except in sydney I was never t-boned or chased by a car, in adelaide I got both within 2 years... :)

Not sure how it managed to take you that long on a bus on Magill road from Kensington - you could have walked it in that time. It only takes my bus half an hour to the city from further away. Must have been a bad traffic day or some issue on the roads. They happen everywhere.

Cycling is a known issue in Adelaide and discussed on a thread elsewhere. You will find plenty of people to agree with you about the attitudes of Adelaide drivers to cyclists on that thread.

Oh don't get me wrong. Adelaide is decidedly backwards in may respects. In photographed very high end modern architecture for 30 years when I was in the UK and knew there wouldn't be much here in SA. Not much - there wasn't any! Now I have a studio in the Barossa where I solely photography wine - there's plenty of that. So what I'm really saying is that there is work here but one may have to bend more to the local requirements. If Adelaide, or SA, was bussiling, dynamic and progressive city then I wouldn't be here as thats what I wanted to leave behind. My kids on the other hand will have dual citizenship in a couple of months time so in eight years time when they go off to uni they will have the option to go and study in the UK. Hopefully they'll live or study in Europe and then decide where in the world they want to settle.

Don't get me going about the car / cyclist issue. I'm a keen mountain biker and find even up here in the Barossa it can be an ordeal riding on the roads. Hillbillies and Red Necks.

I agree with you Spanners, however, it takes some ahem *&alls to risk it and move, I thought we were pretty employable anywhere in the world, but adelaide is just too slow and under developed for my skill set and it closes down options for my children rather than open them up, our family has grown and matured nicely in australia and now we believe it is time for another chapter.

p.s. I thought I was multi-skilled, very experienced, multi-role until I moved to adelaide, in 9 years of freelance work in Sydney I was out of work say, 2 months? In three years in adeliade, I was out of work for more than 16 months...... bizarre, given I picked up a role in London within 6 working days of being back (and three of those were due diligence and ID confirmation due terrorist rules) , this does not bode well for the future of adelaide as a centre for anything....

p.p.s , I took my daughter to a city school down magill road once on the bus , it took us over 1hour 15 min. Not sure how that fits, but my bike ride in Sydney was almost the same as my bike ride in adeliade, except in sydney I was never t-boned or chased by a car, in adelaide I got both within 2 years... :)

Who says Adelaide has to be a centre for anything? Maybe it just needs to be a decent place to bring up children? that's all we want from it as a City - if I wanted to live in the centre of anything we wouldn't have moved here. I understand that jobs need to be here for people to stay etc... but I don't agree that it needs to be anything more than it is.

My kids on the other hand will have dual citizenship in a couple of months time so in eight years time when they go off to uni they will have the option to go and study in the UK. Hopefully they'll live or study in Europe and then decide where in the world they want to settle.

Dual citizenship won't give them the right to study in the UK without paying international fees (upwards of 25k pounds a year) I'm afraid - only living in the country for three years prior to University entry will do that.