Adelaide Job Market

from : http://indaily.com.au/opinion/2014/08/19/adelaides-decline-fall/

"Many of the departees were the brightest and best – the high achievers, the ambitious ones, the mad ones, the dreamers, the hungry to do well. We invested our rates and taxes in them – and this is how they repay us. So it goes. Labour goes to where the work is. This demographic flight compounds the macroeconomic forces squeezing the state."

Is something that I personally relate to- so many young careers are affected by 'false starts' or no starts, and the only option for these motivated and ambitious group of people is to relocate to greener pastures, and yet the state government cries 'crocodile tears' of this perceived tyranny of a brain-drain!

that's why I left...... just about to kick start a company here in London, it's buzzing, the atmosphere is encouraging, enabling and open, sure there is always a secret jobs market, here it's up around the 2-300k+ per annum rate and I just cannot understand why adelaide has a "secret jobs market" for jobs at woolies or bunnings?

it speaks volumes to me. Small thinking small place small gains, it will take decades to change. never mind the nepotism or cronyism , surely you must agree that the place is underperforming spectacularly for the last 20 years and it's getting worse.

Edited by snifter
Removed quoted text carried over from split thread

adelaide is going backwards, and the inequality of what I saw makes it untenable, it simply does not make the grade, the place is dysfunctional and nepotistic, not good for our family we earned only 40-50k less in adelaide than sydney, but there was no work in adelaide and lots in sydney so being out of work for 18 months in adelaide did it for us, we got work in 6 days in london, speaks volumes really........ dead place

adelaide is going backwards, and the inequality of what I saw makes it untenable, it simply does not make the grade, the place is dysfunctional and nepotistic, not good for our family we earned only 40-50k less in adelaide than sydney, but there was no work in adelaide and lots in sydney so being out of work for 18 months in adelaide did it for us, we got work in 6 days in london, speaks volumes really........ dead place

I'd say its a given cost of living is higher in Sydney and salaries tend to reflect this and are proportionally higher. I'd expect to earn less in Adelaide than Sydney but then I'd also expect to pay less for a home and be closer to the city doing so in Adelaide than if I wanted the equivalent in Sydney. I gathered that doing my research before migrating. Wasn't difficult, a bit of reading on forums, checking housing market, comparing cost of living breakdowns and so on. Same with comparing to other Aus cities. After doing that Adelaide was where we wanted to be and its worked ok for us. Melbourne was our other choice and we have no regrets not heading there.

As has been said, why compare Adelaide to Sydney over and over? It doesn't compare. Its like comparing London with Bristol or Cardiff or Leeds or somewhere. I'd expect salaries and housing prices to be different in those places compared to London and south east prices and apply a similar line of thought to here. You make an unreasonable argument when you do this and it weakens your case from where I am sitting. Compare Sydney with London, then I can take what you say with a little more appreciation.

How do you know Adelaide is going backwards to be able to say that for definite? That is your view, your opinion, not everyone elses. I for one like to read all views but don't like it when someone tries to ram a view down my throat as if its the be all and end all and the only view to have or believe. You lived here for 18 months you say. Had you lived in Adelaide before to have a comparison or are you basing it on Sydney and comparing the two again? Or basing it solely on your time here? You say you were out of work for 18 months so how can you say what you say and expect me to take you seriously? I cannot. I feel you have some good points on occasion but you honestly then seem to lose your way by outragous comparisons of cities and other things. You didn't have work so of course you are going to have a negative view and be annoyed, angry and upset about things. It shows.

There was no suitable work for you here in Adelaide. Not no work period for anyone. You seem to be confusing that point. There was work for you in Sydney. I honestly don't see how you could have moved here thinking it was going to be the same as Sydney, research in advance would have shown you it wasn't. Now after the fact you sound like a case of sour grapes on more than one occasion and I can't see how you can blame a city for all your woes. You are the person who set wheels in motion, decided on a move and so on. Adelaide didn't live up to expectations of a big job and salary nor did it then offer you what you wanted for your family. Fair enough. I get that its not for everyone. I'm the first one to say go seek pastures new or move back to where you were, whatever works for you, but don't lay the blame solely on the doorstep of the city.

I appreciate the job front in Adelaide (and anywhere else that isn't Sydney) can be challenging for some migrants. It can be tough for locals too. But its not all doom and gloom. Many who move here have made it work well for them and are happy living their lives. Some find it difficult and either move interstate or return to their home country. Some ping pong. There is no one size fits all. Everyone is going to have a different experience. Yours was not a good one. I wish you well back in London and hope you are happy.

I'd say its a given cost of living is higher in Sydney and salaries tend to reflect this and are proportionally higher. I'd expect to earn less in Adelaide than Sydney but then I'd also expect to pay less for a home and be closer to the city doing so in Adelaide than if I wanted the equivalent in Sydney. I gathered that doing my research before migrating. Wasn't difficult, a bit of reading on forums, checking housing market, comparing cost of living breakdowns and so on. Same with comparing to other Aus cities. After doing that Adelaide was where we wanted to be and its worked ok for us. Melbourne was our other choice and we have no regrets not heading there.

As has been said, why compare Adelaide to Sydney over and over? It doesn't compare. Its like comparing London with Bristol or Cardiff or Leeds or somewhere. I'd expect salaries and housing prices to be different in those places compared to London and south east prices and apply a similar line of thought to here. You make an unreasonable argument when you do this and it weakens your case from where I am sitting. Compare Sydney with London, then I can take what you say with a little more appreciation.

How do you know Adelaide is going backwards to be able to say that for definite? That is your view, your opinion, not everyone elses. I for one like to read all views but don't like it when someone tries to ram a view down my throat as if its the be all and end all and the only view to have or believe. You lived here for 18 months you say. Had you lived in Adelaide before to have a comparison or are you basing it on Sydney and comparing the two again? Or basing it solely on your time here? You say you were out of work for 18 months so how can you say what you say and expect me to take you seriously? I cannot. I feel you have some good points on occasion but you honestly then seem to lose your way by outragous comparisons of cities and other things. You didn't have work so of course you are going to have a negative view and be annoyed, angry and upset about things. It shows.

There was no suitable work for you here in Adelaide. Not no work period for anyone. You seem to be confusing that point. There was work for you in Sydney. I honestly don't see how you could have moved here thinking it was going to be the same as Sydney, research in advance would have shown you it wasn't. Now after the fact you sound like a case of sour grapes on more than one occasion and I can't see how you can blame a city for all your woes. You are the person who set wheels in motion, decided on a move and so on. Adelaide didn't live up to expectations of a big job and salary nor did it then offer you what you wanted for your family. Fair enough. I get that its not for everyone. I'm the first one to say go seek pastures new or move back to where you were, whatever works for you, but don't lay the blame solely on the doorstep of the city.

I appreciate the job front in Adelaide (and anywhere else that isn't Sydney) can be challenging for some migrants. It can be tough for locals too. But its not all doom and gloom. Many who move here have made it work well for them and are happy living their lives. Some find it difficult and either move interstate or return to their home country. Some ping pong. There is no one size fits all. Everyone is going to have a different experience. Yours was not a good one. I wish you well back in London and hope you are happy.

What a brilliant response. As Deryans has pasted a comment from my Jobs thread he obviously want me to comment here...

It's really time for you to move on.

I asked for help. I asked you to "submit solutions not just problems" and in a PM you agreed to help others find jobs through the contacts that you have here. What went wrong? Maybe you are lonely in London and just want a response? There are employment issues in Adelaide but it seems like the bitterness of your time here has you set in a "the records stuck" mentality.

In the last city that I lived my family suffered terrible experiences. Armed robberies, victims of violent crime, our neighbours were butchered in their home.

I moved on when I relocated here. I don't participate in the many online forums warning tourists not to visit, for residents to leave and people to escape with their children. I don't know why you feel the need to register on a migration forum and constantly slag off Adelaide and it's people. Your view has been heard. The "silent majority" who read your views don't comment as they don't care.

Life is what you make it. I hope that you are happy and make it work for you and your family in London. I'm certainly going to try and continue to make it work for myself and family in Adelaide without the baggage of the past ever being an issue.

Don't waste your time...live in the present not the past. Take any good experience that you had here and move on.

What I don't get in this scenario here : Why hasn't the OP moved interstate to Sydney or Melbourne?

Before I would sit around unemployed I'd rather give it a go in another Australian state and then decide if Australia is right for me.

Or the other alternative do some additional vocational training sessions, for instance tafe as national recognised accredited job qualifications. Nobody is waiting for us migrants in Australia! Spirited visions + innovation are necessary, a backup plan if job A fails in order to try job B is indispensable.

Keep in mind that many migrants on this forum are not from English speaking countries and are able to settle and integrate. It just takes a lot of time and endurance.

What I don't get in this scenario here : Why hasn't the OP moved interstate to Sydney or Melbourne?

Before I would sit around unemployed I'd rather give it a go in another Australian state and then decide if Australia is right for me.

Or the other alternative do some additional vocational training sessions, for instance tafe as national recognised accredited job qualifications. Nobody is waiting for us migrants in Australia! Spirited visions + innovation are necessary, a backup plan if job A fails in order to try job B is indispensable.

Keep in mind that many migrants on this forum are not from English speaking countries and are able to settle and integrate. It just takes a lot of time and endurance.

The OP was in Sydney and then moved to Adelaide. And then from Adelaide to London. Their previous posts elsewhere on the forum can give more detail on their career path, expectations and other things if you feel like a read :)

The first post here was split out from another thread as it wasn't what the other thread was about at all and so was hijacking the thread somewhat, so mods gave the post a thread of its own :)

The OP was in Sydney and then moved to Adelaide. And then from Adelaide to London. Their previous posts elsewhere on the forum can give more detail on their career path, expectations and other things if you feel like a read :)

The first post here was split out from another thread as it wasn't what the other thread was about at all and so was hijacking the thread somewhat, so mods gave the post a thread of its own :)

true to a point snifter, actually Adelaide in 2002 for one year (that was also a joke), sydney from 2003 to 2011, adelaide from 2011 onwards, the point I am making and it seems to be lost on most people here, is that Bunnings and Domino pizza jobs does not a family of 5 a happy make, shopkeeping and service industries disappeared in the 50's as viable professions to raise a family, there is no investment I can see here in SA, no regard, no professional empathy, no coaching and no vision given to the young SA people in at the cusp of their careers in SA, they are left, alone, wanton and without any direction by selfish and myopic middle managers who are themselves unskilled and scared to take risk, thus they will never employ someone who is at least as smart as them or wishes to challenge and be motivated (they simply cannot get their heads around it, dumb people don't know what dumb people don't know), sad really, but I cannot see my valued children who are a product of our efforts and toil and work to make them into full accomplished people with honesty, motivation, empathy, respect , humiliation modesty and compassion. Simply put, we are worth more than SA, sounds arrogant ? It is.

I do not see these qualities in the people I have worked with in adelaide , i cannot abide a "boys" club and the performance of the SA economy speaks for itself, imagine what it will be like in a downturn ?

good luck, because you're going to be on your own and that is the real measure of what SA is about, itself.

I used to work with a bloke who thought the world of himself. He opened a business that failed and then topped himself due to the failure. I am just an average joe. We came close to calling it quits here but was lucky that we had a bit of help and don't have any regrets now. I wonder what motivates someone to constantly put the place down when they failed to make a life here? I would imagine that the higher up you are and the more you think of yourself then the harder the fall. Don't do anything silly mate when people stop responding to your rants. Life is too short and if you don't make it in one place you might make it work somewhere else. Don't let your failure poison you. Plenty of honest hard working families will continue to move here and make it work for them even if you don't want them to succeed where you failed.

. I feel you have some good points on occasion but you honestly then seem to lose your way by outragous comparisons of cities and other things.

@deryans, I thought your first few posts were really interesting.

i didn't necessarily agree with the content, but I put that down to the fact I'm not competing in the same market.

I don't understand is why you continue to post along the same lines.

You've made your point, you've returned to the UK and a successful future, you are unlikely to change the opinions of most people, so perhaps it's time to find a new point to make?

:wubclub:LC

sad really, but I cannot see my valued children who are a product of our efforts and toil and work to make them into full accomplished people with honesty, motivation, empathy, respect , humiliation modesty and compassion. Simply put, we are worth more than SA, sounds arrogant ? It is.

I do not see these qualities in the people I have worked with in adelaide , i cannot abide a "boys" club and the performance of the SA economy speaks for itself, imagine what it will be like in a downturn ?

good luck, because you're going to be on your own and that is the real measure of what SA is about, itself.

Wow....could spend all night analysing the contradictions in those few lines :err:

Entertaining post....well done :notworthy:

Wow....could spend all night analysing the contradictions in those few lines :err:

Entertaining post....well done :notworthy:

all night ? you'll fit right into swinging the lead in a public service job in adelaide.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opinion/rex-jory-do-some-adelaide-people-actually-hate-adelaide/story-fni6unxq-1227196260712

interesting points made by bill, and he seems to get the most "likes" of anyone posting on the 'tiser

if you are to lazy to look, here's his post: , and see where your kids may or may not be in 5-10 years time. remember some show some humility, it's not about you, it's about the dependents, kids, vulnerable and the weak and the future made for them, not you or I, them and only their future, analyse that.

You're not really grasping the real reason why people bag Adelaide, Mr Jory. Yes, Adelaide may have the best beaches, the best wines, the best food, etc because these are only what Adelaide has to offer. I can give you several reasons why people bag Adelaide or SA as a whole. We have the worse performing economy in the mainland, we have the highest utility prices in the world behind Germany and Denmark (Sydney and Melbourne may have the highest rent but at least the residents there are not scraping every last cent to pay for their ESL), real unemployment (not the ABS figures) is put at around 12%, people are leaving the state, most of them never to return and when they do return they find it very difficult in securing employment because they are deemed over qualified, too old or a threat to the interviewer's job, nepotism flourishes in both public and private work places so the idea of gaining an employment on merit is out the window, the SA economy returns very little to the national economy as a whole and SA seems to gobble up so much in federal funding and we still cry poor. And lastly, the real reason why people bag Adelaide is that it refuses to change. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but there is a certain class or group of people that are just happy with the way things are here and will fight tooth and nail when there is private investment being put on offer, but we somehow manage to stay silent when public funds are used to upgrade a sports stadium to placate to these elitists. Twelve years ago, people ushered in a Labor government because they wanted change. They wanted to shake off the Liberal stagnation but all we got in return after twelve years is high taxes, little economic growth, cost blowouts and more people barely keeping their heads above the poverty line You see, Mr Jory, I have taken off the rose coloured glasses and I have listened to and read why people bag Adelaide. Shouldn't you be doing the same since you're a journalist and asked the very same question in the first place. And you forgot to mention these American tourists that you host, are they young, twenty/thirty something year-olds or fifty/sixty year-olds retirees? I'm willing to bet the latter because Adelaide is nothing but a retirement village and the only thing old people and retirement villages are good for is resistant to is change.

FlagShare

O give over. I'm actually rolling my eyes. On my own? I was 'on my own' in the UK for donkey years. I/we didn't live in London (tried it in the 80's, hated it, wasn't for me so left and went overseas instead, much better life decision for me as it turned out). I/we lived in a much smaller towns/villages in England and nothing to compare to any kind of city living or capital city living. You think living in a small town or community is for one second easy or anything like London, its nothing like the dynamic of London you wax lyrical about and is in fact more like you write about Adelaide/SA so vehemently. Its small town living in the UK. But you know what, I bloody well loved living in those communities, those situations and because of what it offered us in our lives, because we made it work for us, we got on and lived and we were happy. More than happy. I don't see Adelaide in the same way you do, never have, never will. I did my research before moving here (even married to an Aussie from here we considered going elsewhere first but settled on here) and have been happy since the day we arrived. Sure we've had our ups and downs, work hasn't always been automatic for me but I've gotten myself out there and thankfully have had steady work for the most part, working part time.

I don't disagree that for some work is hard to find. I've written that on this forum a fair few times. And that if you can't find emploment it can be the hardest aspect of migrating and make the move miserable for you or call you to question why you did so. It happens all over Australia and is not contained to Adelaide. Same as in the UK, some people walk into jobs, others don't. I know when my Aus hubby moved to the UK it took him 4 months to find work initially. He didn't sit and whine about it, or complain it was the area or the city or the way things worked or try to blame something he could not control. He just kept looking, kept getting knocked back, kept going to interviews and finally found a good job that meant him living away from home Mon-Fri for a year till he found a job nearer to where we were living and he was able to relocate back full time. But he got on with it as it was a step forward and we knew it would take him in the right direction in the future. No way did we ever consider moving to near London when he got that first job as neither of us had any desire to live there full time. But it got us through for a period of time till change could happen. Same as here. We've done what we needed to do to ensure we can pay our bills and live a decent life. We work hard, we saved, we didn't set unrealistic goals in our minds of what we wanted Adelaide to provide for us or our family and we have so far been very content with what we have managed. We bought a house, our son goes to a much better school than he did in the UK (and that was a great school but I have to say for me the Aus system is working better and challenging more) and hubby has a great job and I am working 20-30 hours a week as we had aimed for within a year of our arriving. Our longer terms hopes are for this to continue, our family to flourish and I believe how we parent will have a big impact on that. We want our son to do the things we did should he wish. Travel, live and work overseas, see the world, learn languages. And you know what, all those things you can do from London, small town England or Adelaide. Its about the people we are, the life skills we have, our confidence, not where we grew up.

Adelaide has worked for us. As I said before, it won't work for some who arrive here. People need to research and go into migration with their eyes open and be aware of the challenges ahead. Many will make it work for them, some will find it a struggle and some will hate it for whatever reason and up sticks and be gone. All of those decisions and realisations I respect.

People are far more transient in this day and age. They change jobs more often, move around, move away and move overseas or where the work is. That happens everywhere, not just here. You do what is right for you as a person at that point in your life for whatever reasons drive you. And while I read your rather wordy viewpoint, its yours and tbh I don't buy into your mindset. If for whatever reason we decide to move on from Adelaide it won't be any big shock as we've always said we'll go with the flow, were open minded and don't feel in any way shape or form as you do. Its not always about moving once only and then staying put just because. You need to give people some credit as to being able to decide for themselves. Our priorities are probably not so different to your own. Work, raise a family, help equip them for the future, be happy with life. Believe it or not, I can do that here just fine. So can others. Should we leave here it will have crap all to do with what someone who clearly hates Adelaide posted on a forum. End of.

And this is where I bow out of conversation with you as tbh I'm bored of hashing over it again and again. As said, you make some vaild points on occasion, others seem rather outrageous and almost funny to read on occasion but they are your views and I shall respect that. I don't have to agree with them though. Its the old agree to disagree thing. That impasse point has arrived, in truth we reached it back after the first round of posts and replies, at least I feel we did. I have better things to do with my time than argue the toss or keep on posting when we are never going to see eye to eye on things. Enjoy being back in London :) I'm going to go do something else now.

So, in summary; Deryans came to Adelaide, failed in finding a job and is angry with the state and everyone in it who succeeds because he/she couldn't? Now however, despite having a job paying 14 million quid a year in London, Sydney, New York or similar he/she still continues to come on here and rant about Adelaide because it is difficult for him/her to accept someone as brilliant as they are could fail, so it must be down to the city - not their crumby attitude or arrogance?

Interesting.

I think what upsets him. Is the pollyanna core of posters here. And that when that when someone states difficulties or negative view points they are jumped on often in a personal manner by an 'in crowd'.

I will bid my leave from this forum with this: for anyone in the UK considering - the real unemployment rate in Adelaide I think believe 12% not the actual stated figure of 7.2% and climbing, youth unemployment much higher. Adelaide is a networked small city / big town. Often even for skilled jobs its not what you know it is who you know. It is extremely difficult to get work for a percentage of arrivals and it is only set to get worse with the contraction of the SA economy. Many come sponsored because of a skill and end up in a low paying work if they are lucky. There is no one to warn you of this in the UK before uprooting your life and it is a failure of this forum not to do so.

Many have a positive experience and find work straight away but the - i'm alright jack theme of this forum which I have no doubt is viewed by a large percentage of arrivals is both sad and equally maddening. And again in particular the attack on anyone who speaks up and has faced difficulties and tries to help others by sharing their story.

Good day and thank you deryans you express what many are feeling. Deryans sounds pretty peeved granted but that doesn't come out of nowhere I expect.

One last actual set of stats the current unemployment rate in Greece is 25.4% Youth unemployment currently in SA is a staggering 23.4%. Unemployment in SA is currently the highest in the nation. Holden will close in the next 2 years at which point these figures will certainly rise. How do you like them apples.

Have a nice life.

Edited by yoda22

I think what upsets him. Is the pollyanna core of posters here. And that when that when someone states difficulties or negative view points they are jumped on often in a personal manner by an 'in crowd'.

I will bid my leave from this forum with this: for anyone in the UK considering - the real unemployment rate in Adelaide I think believe 12% not the actual stated figure of 7.2% and climbing, youth unemployment much higher. Adelaide is a networked small city / big town. Often even for skilled jobs its not what you know it is who you know. It is extremely difficult to get work for a percentage of arrivals and it is only set to get worse with the contraction of the SA economy. Many come sponsored because of a skill and end up in a low paying work if they are lucky. There is no one to warn you of this in the UK before uprooting your life and it is a failure of this forum not to do so.

Many have a positive experience and find work straight away but the - i'm alright jack theme of this forum which I have no doubt is viewed by a large percentage of arrivals is both sad and equally maddening. And again in particular the attack on anyone who speaks up and has faced difficulties and tries to help others by sharing their story.

Good day and thank you deryans you express what many are feeling. Deryans sounds pretty peeved granted but that doesn't come out of nowhere I expect.

One last actual set of stats the current unemployment rate in Greece is 25.4% Youth unemployment currently in SA is a staggering 23.4%. Unemployment in SA is currently the highest in the nation. Holden will close in the next 2 years at which point these figures will certainly rise. How do you like them apples.

Have a nice life.

Just to give some perspective, the youth unemployment rate in the UK in 2012/13 was around 23%; the UK economy is performing pretty well now...

Youth unemployment is always higher than the real figures, so to compare the overall rate in Greece with the youth rate here is nonsensical. To add further perspective, the youth unemployment is Greece is currently over 50%. If you come on here and accuse people of having a pre-set attitude and then try to manipulate figures to meet your own agenda you are unlikely to build much credibility.

For what it's worth, I find this forum pretty negative on the whole regarding the employment issue - certainly not rose tinted.

Just to give some perspective, the youth unemployment rate in the UK in 2012/13 was around 23%; the UK economy is performing pretty well now...

Youth unemployment is always higher than the real figures, so to compare the overall rate in Greece with the youth rate here is nonsensical. To add further perspective, the youth unemployment is Greece is currently over 50%. If you come on here and accuse people of having a pre-set attitude and then try to manipulate figures to meet your own agenda you are unlikely to build much credibility.

For what it's worth, I find this forum pretty negative on the whole regarding the employment issue - certainly not rose tinted.

The UK unemployment rate of 23 % is nothing to be considered normal. Outside of the London fueled bubble try getting a job in north of England it is no picnic.

There has been money printing by the ECB since the 2008 economic crash with no real jobs / wage growth, in other words that money printed to stimulate the economy is not being put in the pockets of Joe public. Mostly property bubbles. The Debt to GDP ratio of the UK economy is off the charts. The UK economy will have a big collapse within the next 12 months. Thanks to the boys in the city of London and the UK government blind eye. It is not Greece but there is stormy times ahead for the UK as well as far as Australia.

Imagine a forum - Aussies in Sheffield. Imagine everyone telling you things are great and come on over.

Point taken though I did pick and choose figures.

Well we can see you haven't been around the forum for long yoda22. I have plenty negative to say about Adelaide and I'm a moderator.

A balance of perspectives is absolutly welcome. Of course individuals are allowed to disagree with others opinions and can say so, just like you have done. I know I've certainly pushed some noses out of joint with my views of some of the northern suberbs in particular.

Job wise, Adelaide can't compare to the UK. I moved here for a FAR lower wage than in the UK. I've never had problems finding a job though (the opposite actually).

Have a nice life.

Thanks Yoda, hit the nail on the head there buddy , spot on , well my disagreement and criticism if you can call it that is most certainly not directed at members of this forum, it is perhaps a little too outrageous hyperbole, but how soon do you begin to take a fire seriously ? How soon does one communicate to others what one sees and what they have experienced, I may sound like the boy who cried wolf, infact I hope I do, but something in my spider sense was just not right and it took me 2-3 years and the best part of our equity to waste before I managed to convince the family. I really do hope prospect families wishing to come here are given honest and open information , not the two streets from the beach rubbish that seems to pervade here, it is both maddening and sad as you say.

SA is and has always been run by clowns, it needs desperate reform of all state government but the most vocational and specialist jobs, most if not all of education, industry, tourism, Infrastructure, treasury, administration, attorney generals, trade and industry, TAFE (topical that one) , human and child services, councils (yes, most if not all of them) directors should go and be asked to re-apply for their positions based on integrity, merit , achievements and motivation.

Most are just simply not up to it, and people on this forum will pay for it with their children futures.

http://indaily.com.au/opinion/2015/06/04/sa-desperately-needs-gst-reform/

read the comments from locals

and one final thought, ask yourself why I walked away from a cushy job when I was almost un-sackable, ? One word, Integrity.

The UK unemployment rate of 23 % is nothing to be considered normal. Outside of the London fueled bubble try getting a job in north of England it is no picnic.

There has been money printing by the ECB since the 2008 economic crash with no real jobs / wage growth, in other words that money printed to stimulate the economy is not being put in the pockets of Joe public. Mostly property bubbles. The Debt to GDP ratio of the UK economy is off the charts. The UK economy will have a big collapse within the next 12 months. Thanks to the boys in the city of London and the UK government blind eye. It is not Greece but there is stormy times ahead for the UK as well as far as Australia.

Imagine a forum - Aussies in Sheffield. Imagine everyone telling you things are great and come on over.

Point taken though I did pick and choose figures.

I don't think you read my post properly. The youth employment rate in the UK WAS 23%, 3 years ago. It's now 15%; hardly likely to drive this crash you speak of!

I don't think you read my post properly. The youth employment rate in the UK WAS 23%, 3 years ago. It's now 15%; hardly likely to drive this crash you speak of!

Fiat Money. You probably do not understand that term I am guessing.

But I will make it simple for you; most likely before Christmas there will be a global economic implosion. Although not quite the 1930s depression this one is going to be pretty nasty and be one of the worst

the world has experienced larger than the 2008 economic collapse. Take a look at the 15 % unemployment stat then. Its not Armageddon just going to be a lot harder in the coming years. Australia, UK, USA are strong economies things will improve after the coming collapse may take 5 or 10 years who knows.

The coming shock waves however will without a doubt effect Australia and no doubt burst the bubbles in Sydney and Melbourne. Adelaide will just get that bit worse. Unemployment will rise.

The bright side is hopefully world leaders will sit down and settle the huge debt crisis that has been created.

Henry Ford was smart enough to figure out if he he paid his workers high enough wages they would be able be able to afford to buy his cars. Thus the middle class.

I watched life on the dole last night - channel 9 it was pretty grim. Sad to see.

If you work in Coles in Adelaide or Waitrose in Bristol I would be thankful. Maybe moving to the far side of the world for a lifestyle change is not a great move at this present time.

Anyhoo - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/south-australias-unemployment-rate-hits-14-year-high/story-fni6uo1m-1227392815028