Help with teacher registration please!

Hi

I am arriving in Adelaide on 3rd August!! I'm a teacher and I have a 189 permanent visa :)

I am trying to register but I gave a few questions if anyone could help...

I have had a criminal record check with my visa in March... Do I need to do another for my registration or can I just send one off? It mentions one specifically for offences with children and vulnerable people (understandable) however my police check with ACRO covers all offences (which I have none lol)

It's saying I need to have my skills assessed but I have already had hear assessed by AITSL and I have a certificate which they say I have met the requirements to be a teacher... Do I have to do another one?

Help!!

Thanks in advance

Beccy

Not long to go - how exciting! We had police checks done for our VISA but I then had to get another one done to be allowed to volunteer in my daughters kindy and I had to do 'responding to abuse and neglect' training. Quite often it seems that certificates etc don't just transfer over so my guess would be you'll have to do another one but I'm sure there will be someone who knows for certain along soon.

Hi Beccy,

My partner and I moved to Adelaide last November and love it here. It's such a friendly and welcoming place and affordable to live here.

I'm a teacher too and can give you advice on the process. I kind of figured it out on my own but wish the process had been more streamlined.

Firstly, yes you do need to go through the same rigmarole as the AITSL with the Teacher Registration Board of SA. You need a different police check this time. Details at: http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/fitness-propriety .You need to fill another form in with the UK police (same place as you had to apply for the Visa Migration police check) called an Overseas Criminal History check. This is like the DBS/old CRB certificate in the UK. Request one asap and the TRB will email you a letter to print and post with your application to the UK police as you can't get the check without the letter.

You also need to do a Mandatory Training (full day/7 hour) course. It's basically Child Protection training. You can book them online. The trb has a list of recommended providers for this training too.

To get Teacher Registration you will need the Police certificate, Mandatory Training Certificate, your AITSL certificate plus ID documentation that you already used for AITSL and the visa (stupid to duplicate, but they seem to do that a lot here!) signed off by a JP. I met one on our first day here and he signed them all off for free. They don't charge here for that, it's more a position of professionalism and respect (like teachers are able to witness passport applications in the UK).Thereare lots of JP's so just ask around when you move here.

Anyway, after you have all the docs together and signed off, I'd advise physically walking into the offices in the city and submitting the application. Someone goes through it there with you to check it's all in order. Plus there's no risk of losing documents in the post. I got my provisional registration certificate back in less than two weeks (and that included the christmas period!) You will get a provisional registration too. After one year of service you can then then top up to the full registration.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any other teacher queries.

Good luck with the move, it's pretty cold here at the moment but it's a lovely place!

Emma :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to your clear instructions lol I have submitted my skills assessment, sent of my police check with their letter and I've filled out all of my application so it's just waiting for those certificates to come back.

I have also completed half my first aid qualification and I've booked my safeguarding training for 10 days time :) which was lucky as all other available dates were end of September!! But that day they had added a new date! Phew!

Just out of interest how did your journey pan out with finding a teaching job?

Thanks again

Beccy x

Hi Beccy,

Welcome to SA :-)

Hope the move went well!

Sounds like you're on the ball! I managed to secure a job before I arrived. I knew I couldn't get a state teacher job without already having a registration number so I was advised by a friends who teaches in Brisbane to put my CV out to as many independent schools as possible. Try logging to the Australian Schools Directory. This can be filtered down to the type of schools you want to work in. I then pinged off my CV and letter of application to about 30 schools. I got responses from half to say they'd put my file on record in case something came up. I then got an email and call from a school and after a skype chat and intrrview I managed to get the post. I also heard from a couple of others with offers afterwards, but then I was sorted. If you can, be pre-emptive and get yourself out there. Most schools employ their own TRTs instead of using supply agencies too.

What age/subject do you teach?

Emma x

Thanks to your clear instructions lol I have submitted my skills assessment, sent of my police check with their letter and I've filled out all of my application so it's just waiting for those certificates to come back.

I have also completed half my first aid qualification and I've booked my safeguarding training for 10 days time :) which was lucky as all other available dates were end of September!! But that day they had added a new date! Phew!

Thanks again

Beccy x

Thanks again

Beccy x

Hi Beccy

I'm also quite new here (only arrived 4 1/2 months ago). I was a primary teacher in the UK but am now working as a Kindy Teacher within a childcare centre. What do you teach - EY, Primary or Secondary? Wish I had been given the advice about teacher registration before I got here as it was a nightmare having to delay teaching until it all came through! Good luck with your teacher registration and as Emma said, take the documents in to them in person to get them checked. Have you submitted your application for teacher registration yet? If not, you can do so whilst you wait for the other checks to be done as it can speed the process up too. I submitted my skills assessment and application at the same time and as soon as my police check came through I got my registration 3 days later!

Hi emma

I teach children with special educational needs, I have taught from reception up to year three so anywhere in between there would be great lol. I have sent my CVs or resumes as they call them here to a few schools. However I will definitely get myself on that directory to have a look :)

Are you annoying teaching here? Do you mind sharing any positives or negatives?

Thanks you are being so helpful :) xx

Hi Linda :)

I have to complete the safeguarding day of training yet :) I've got it on the 17th August. However when I went in to hand in my skills assessment they said I couldn't hand in my application for registration till that was back :/ hmm I might give them

A call just to check. So you sent off your application with everything other than your police check? Xx