Mass Unemployment looms over adelaide

deryans

That article says nothing but a biased opinion but I can see why you posted it.

It's of no real relevance to anyone on this forum to be quite honest. But again I can see why you chose to post it.

Edited by snifter
Amended to reflect edited OP

It's of no real relevance to anyone on this forum to be quite honest. But again I can see why you chose to post it.

It is an opinion piece ..... but is quite accurate.

I would say very relevant if there are people packing up everything and bringing children over here yet without jobs. Which I saw someone mention in a post here earlier in the week.

They were taking a 'leap of faith'. Both sides are helpful good and bad. Forewarned is forearmed.

Adelaide is in a very bad economic state, someone in the UK about to travel may not fully know this until they arrive. Being positive about Adelaide is great. But we all recall when we arrive we are wearing rose tinted glasses to a greater or lesser extent (why else would we move). Yes, everyone knows it will not be easy sure ..... but such a piece I for one would like to read before my arrival. I count myself for one and most to filter the good and bad.

How can that not be relevant ? and again why does everyone attack someone here who posts something negative. Perhaps they are trying to help by informing ?

Edited by yoda22

I would say very relevant if there are people packing up everything and bringing children over here yet without jobs. Which I saw a post here earlier in the week.

Both sides is helpful good and bad. Forewarned is forearmed.

Adelaide is an economic mess someone in the UK about to travel may not know this until they arrive. How can that not be relevant ?

Greece is a mess, Adelaide isn't.

If anyone had good jobs and are happy they would be bonkers to emigrate to any place without a job to go to. Many people do it, but i think they are all mad.

the person who posted only ever gives one side of ADELAIDE, that needs to be highlighted :-)

Greece is a mess, Adelaide isn't.

If anyone had good jobs and are happy they would be bonkers to emigrate to any place without a job to go to. Many people do it, but i think they are all mad.

the person who posted only ever gives one side of ADELAIDE, that needs to be highlighted :-)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-09/sa-records-highest-jobless-rate-in-16-years/6607140

Adelaide is not Greece but where is, however you are saying it is has a healthy economy ?

You may only post positive things, other poster may only post negative things. That is balance.

People are smart enough to make their own minds.

Here are 3 good things about Adelaide

1. Friendly down to earth people

2. Great outdoor activities for kids

3. Amazing scenery and wildlife

Here are 3 bad things

1. Lack of employment

2. Insular

3. Too hot in summer (like the sun) too cold in winter (poor insulation)

Edited by yoda22

ABC's list of SA timeline job losses & business closures, maybe this will be relevant, no opinion just Facts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-10/timeline-recent-south-australia-job-losses/6610180

Edited by deryans

ABC's list of SA timeline job losses & business closures, maybe this will be relevant, no opinion just Facts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-10/timeline-recent-south-australia-job-losses/6610180

And another fact is the country you left and have now gone back to was in a worse state than SA has been in for the past 20 years (and probably wont get to in the next 20). You didn't like it here (Adelaide), yet you moved here from Sydney and you left the UK only to return. To you where is a good place to live?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-09/sa-records-highest-jobless-rate-in-16-years/6607140

Adelaide is not Greece but where is, however you are saying it is has a healthy economy ?

You may only post positive things, other poster may only post negative things. That is balance.

People are smart enough to make their own minds.

Here are 3 good things about Adelaide

1. Friendly down to earth people

2. Great outdoor activities for kids

3. Amazing scenery and wildlife

Here are 3 bad things

1. Lack of employment

2. Insular

3. Too hot in summer (like the sun) too cold in winter (poor insulation)

I post balanced things, I say what I don't like and I out people who only post a biased view. It's only fair to highlight to other posters that some people only post negatives.

Hi there

I agree with you- I often would like to post something but many people see any criticism of Adelaide/Australia as being unduly negative,and to be quite honest some of the posts on here make me hesitate to actually post anything.

What I will say, is that I have a 23 year old out of work for over 2 years and a relative who is a highly qualified manager also out of work for the same time in Adelaide.

My son has lots of TAFE courses to his credit, police check, full driving licence, car, and forklift licence. His so-called job provider (a condition of signing on with Centrelink) organised a recent seminar where they invited a group of unemployed people to meet together to network each other to see if they could provide any leads for work for themselves! He has had 6 months on work for the dole which led to precisely nothing.

If you have a job great- otherwise beware- even if you get a job, your children may not.

I post balanced things, I say what I don't like and I out people who only post a biased view. It's only fair to highlight to other posters that some people only post negatives.

No you do not, by your own admission you engage in personal baiting on social media (easy enough to do a search on here to see what people's history is.

My history on this forum is you will find, quite consistently critical of adelaide , it's business leaders, it's government and it's planning. I have had the privilege to see what it's like in the highest offices in the state and I was appalled, by the abhorrent , insular, nepotistic, ..... I'll stop know, you all know what I mean.

In answer to your query about where I want to live, it's quite simple, anywhere I want to that offers a future for my kids

adelaide and the state of SA have some key explaining to do to immigrants who "bet" their last chance of a prosperous life for their families on a state that is corrupt, inept and singularly paralysed of action and bereft of any vision. I believe that some people may have a statement of claim for compensation against the government of SA.

Adelaidenow = adelaidenow.com.au , same person ? Mr Murdoch ?

Edited by deryans
legal reason

No you do not, by your own admission you engage in personal baiting on social media (easy enough to do a search on here to see what people's history is.

My history on this forum is you will find, quite consistently critical of adelaide , it's business leaders, it's government and it's planning. I have had the privilege to see what it's like in the highest offices in the state and I was appalled, by the abhorrent , insular, nepotistic, ..... I'll stop know, you all know what I mean.

In answer to your query about where I want to live, it's quite simple, anywhere I want to that offers a future for my kids

adelaide and the state of SA have some key explaining to do to immigrants who "bet" their last chance of a prosperous life for their families on a state that is corrupt, inept and singularly paralysed of action and bereft of any vision. I believe that some people may have a statement of claim for compensation against the government of SA.

Adelaidenow = adelaidenow.com.au , same person ? Mr Murdoch ?

If you are so good at searching, why don't you widen the search and see what else I do - as in help many people on here, save them money and go out of my way to help others.

You have been active on this forum for a few months and all you want to do is put Adelaide down - we can't stop you, but you are factually wrong quite often. And I have finally had enough of reading and will happily take you to task on it as most others just read and don't reply.

And you think I am Murdoch....and yet you have searched about me, I am not sure any of my beliefs are like his....maybe you need to update your search engine!

Hi there

I agree with you- I often would like to post something but many people see any criticism of Adelaide/Australia as being unduly negative,and to be quite honest some of the posts on here make me hesitate to actually post anything.

What I will say, is that I have a 23 year old out of work for over 2 years and a relative who is a highly qualified manager also out of work for the same time in Adelaide.

My son has lots of TAFE courses to his credit, police check, full driving licence, car, and forklift licence. His so-called job provider (a condition of signing on with Centrelink) organised a recent seminar where they invited a group of unemployed people to meet together to network each other to see if they could provide any leads for work for themselves! He has had 6 months on work for the dole which led to precisely nothing.

If you have a job great- otherwise beware- even if you get a job, your children may not.

Hey Meadows. Sorry to hear your son hasn't found work yet :( So tough for him. I remember you posted before he was still looking and its beyond crappy he hasn't been able to find something yet.

I hear of people having trouble trying to find a job, casual and permanent. I know a few people who were (and some still are) looking for a while. One managed to find something via their chef/kitchen experience and seems able to pick work up when needed now. The other is struggling and is looking to work self employed now in the hope they may be able to gain regular work in their chosen field. I really wish him well and if I hear of anything I'll let you know.

It can be incredibly hard to get a foot, even a little toe in the door here it seems. Often it does seem to come down to not what you know but who you know. I hear local people say that as often as migrants. In fact, it was discussed at dinner with the family yesterday and the Aussies amongst us were the ones saying it. The thought of trying to find an employed position does seem rather daunting here and I will probably stick to working for myself for a while longer but apply for things as and when they come up in the hope of landing something but not holding my breath. I am only wanting to work part time (child at school) and its a bit of a headache finding something that fits with everything else. Hence me staying self employed a while longer as I can juggle things as needed without too much disruption. Its far from ideal and can vary week to week but I'm thankful I'm earning something. I realise I am lucky to have what I have.

Meadows,so sorry to read that your son is still struggling to find employment.My husband was recently made redundant for the 4th time in 2yrs.it is a terrible blow to confidence and self esteem,finances and holiday entitlement.i know from personal experience that there are a number of areas that are really struggling here ATM.There are single figure vacancies being advertised ATM in my husband's trade as a Panelbeater.Jobs are currently under threat in Tafe,health service,govt etc etc.

A lot has changed here in the ten years we came and I am finding it difficult to be optimistic for Adelaide's future.

Sue

I would say very relevant if there are people packing up everything and bringing children over here yet without jobs. Which I saw someone mention in a post here earlier in the week.

They were taking a 'leap of faith'. Both sides are helpful good and bad. Forewarned is forearmed.

Adelaide is in a very bad economic state, someone in the UK about to travel may not fully know this until they arrive. Being positive about Adelaide is great. But we all recall when we arrive we are wearing rose tinted glasses to a greater or lesser extent (why else would we move). Yes, everyone knows it will not be easy sure ..... but such a piece I for one would like to read before my arrival. I count myself for one and most to filter the good and bad.

How can that not be relevant ? and again why does everyone attack someone here who posts something negative. Perhaps they are trying to help by informing ?

Most migrants have to make the move without jobs secured. In all my years posting on here and elsewhere and also meeting migrants, only a small percentage secure a job before making the move. Most had to move first and then find work once here. It is a leap into the unknown in that respect for many, for most, not just a few. I agree, being aware the job market in Adelaide may not be in good shape in your chosen field (or any field) is important but the reality for most is until they are here, securing a job, any job, is pretty much not happening. Once here, may still be the case. People can only decide for themselves if they want to take that chance. Many still do, some do not.

I've often heard it said that for some lines of work that people need to consider outside of the Adelaide area and I still hear it now. And sometimes say it on here. SA is a big state and often the shortages in the work force can be in the smaller country towns and the like. Teaching seems to be one of these and I know of a few teachers who applied to jobs a good few hours at least from here and were offered jobs. They couldn't get a short term contract in Adelaide. Not many want to go work in these places and its not for everyone hence them struggling to fill posts. The thing is, most who migrate here want to be in or around Adelaide where the job market can be tough to crack and more people applying for the jobs that are available. I'm not saying that by looking to the country towns they will walk into a job as a given but if there are shortages in those towns and they have the skills to fill them, its perhaps worth considering, especially if work isn't found in or around Adelaide after a number of months and they don't wish to return to the UK.

Or if the visa allows it, look interstate and apply for work if you want to remain in Aus. People move states for work so relocating can be done. Our neighbour (an Aussie) works up in QLD somewhere, does 2-3 weeks up there, has 10 days back here. The family remain here living. Its not ideal for them but its going ok for them and means he is working.

Nowhere is a walk in the park anymore I don't think. Not the UK, not Aus, not anywhere. Some will go ok, a bit of luck, right place right time and things will slowly fall in to place for them. Others will struggle, little things will go against them, then it adds up, more things seem to not work out and its a tough tough ride that may or may not end in them returning to their homeland.

Meadows,so sorry to read that your son is still struggling to find employment.My husband was recently made redundant for the 4th time in 2yrs.it is a terrible blow to confidence and self esteem,finances and holiday entitlement.i know from personal experience that there are a number of areas that are really struggling here ATM.There are single figure vacancies being advertised ATM in my husband's trade as a Panelbeater.Jobs are currently under threat in Tafe,health service,govt etc etc.

A lot has changed here in the ten years we came and I am finding it difficult to be optimistic for Adelaide's future.

Sue

Sue, sorry to read this aswell :( I really hope something comes up soon for him.

Hey yoda22, in answer to 'why does everyone attack someone here who posts something negative' my best guess is it's just human nature, it's almost as if by posting negative threads it somehow undermines their own situation and achievements, not how they want Adelaide perceived by the outside world. Personally, I see little point in a forum that only gives one sided views, there should be balance between 'positive' and 'negative'.

deryans threads, posts and comments have been from a negative viewpoint, and maybe delivered with a sledge hammer blow,but that has been his personal experience of Adelaide. The fact he no longer lives here is irrelevant. SA's job market is currently in a trough and it's getting deeper. The economic situation is dire, lot's more lease breaks and cars for sale etc, with interstate or UK moves being stated.

Having said that, we're sticking with SA, we've said another couple of years.

We have been here almost 10 years now and gained a company sponsorship through RSMS, through my wife's skills in childcare. In the UK I had a "job for life" working for Royal Mail, and after 27 years was well established and settled. I vowed that I would do anything when we got here, and for the last 8 years have had the same job. Alas that job is as a supplier to Holdens and Ford so my sell by date is almost up !!. I'll be nearly 60 then, and unfortunately will have to find a job to get us "past the post" for our retirement.

My point is that we came here for our children, well 2 out of the 4, so they could have a better life, and luckily they both have. My youngest is still in year 8 and my son [26] is in the Air force in Darwin. We still feel we have done the right thing and our sacrifices were for our children.

It does seem mental coming 12000 miles to a new land without any unemployment, but that's what a lot of us have done.

Dare I be positive and say some of the posts I just read were brilliant. It is tough here and this needs to be said, a migration agent is unlikely to inform you of the difficulties you may face. Adelaide is a great place not paradise but has a lot to offer many people. Like everywhere there is good and bad.

I get that SA is a bit self absorbed and I can't see our children necessarily staying here when they start seeking work but SA has been a good move for us:

Previous life in Devon, UK - lived in a cramped 3 bed house with horrific neighbors on benefits and couldn't afford to move due to insane house prices (thanks to the massive imbalance in the UK driven by London), job prospects generally average, half the year couldn't go out cause of rain, day trips out hampered by high cost of fuel and 10 trillion other people doing the same thing.

Current life in McLaren Vale, SA - live in a spacious 4 bed house in a safe, quiet neighborhood with views of vineyards, had no issues with permanent IT work, most days are blessed with good weather, ample places to go without crowds.

As far as corruption in the highest realms of the land go - the UK wrote the book!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I think this article is very relavent. We plan to pack our bags, bring our kids and head down to Australia in a year, so we have 12 months to do as much research as possible and find which area would be best for us, and that of course means which area would be best job wise for us. Wether the article is biased or not, the reader will make his own opinion (every article in some way is biased as the author portrays his opinion), but the more info is available, the bigger chance somebidy has to gain as much information as possible and make the right decision regarding their big move.

A forum is not a place where you present only the good aspects regarding something (as Adelaide from what I have read does have a lot of great sides to it), but also the worse aspects as well. Its simply a place where you can get as much info as possible - good and bad.

Only our view of the world so very biased in that way...... but we secured jobs before making the move 3 years ago, with one of us having 3 offers on the table a that time. We work in Marketing and Healthcare. Since being here we have had job offers made to us when not looking. I would say 1-2 every couple of months mainly through LinkedIn or professional networks we have built since being here. which didn't happen in the UK (to us). I would say about 50% are pushing us to move to Melbourne but we do get some for roles here in Adelaide. I recently accepted one of those offers and took a step up in role and salary which would have been a pipe dream back in the UK for us. I am not aware of any of our social networks out of work/looking but appreciate like every city in the world there are those struggles happening in Adelaide everyday. Not trying to 'sell' Adelaide or make it sound easy, I just wanted to throw another opinion/experience in the ring. Hope it helps someone somewhere.

I am big believer you get out what you put in. Sorry to hear the stories of those who are still putting in waiting to get something back.