Just to share a good news

engrauyon

Hi All,

I thought I should share my experience to you guys - to cheer up. I have got a job in my own area (Electronics Engineering - Operation, Maintenance and troubleshooting) after seven months of our arrival in Adelaide. Initially it is a six months contract, but I hope it will be extended.

After we came to Adelaide, I got a casual job as Desktop Support Engineer in a project of IBM. But it was casual, and I was not getting enough hours. Meanwhile I registered in Skills for All (55, Currie Street) and attended couple of workshops organized by them. From one of the workshop, I came to know about a course in TAFE SA. It is called Cert IV in English, Job Seeking Focus. I enrolled into the course - it is free for new migrants. There I met a lot of friends and it was so wonderful to meet so many people like me. From there I learned how to build up your network.

I also met some recruiters in another workshop. Believe me, knowing the recruiters personally really pays off. I got a job in HP from on of these recruiters.

Meanwhile, I started building network, attended a number of networking events, and made a lot of friends. One of my friends worked in this company and when they required another engineer, he put my resume forward. The Project Manager and the Lead Engineer was very pleased with my resume. They called me for an interview and that's it - I was offered the job very next day!

I hope my experience will help somebody in their endeavor.

No Worries Mates - Keep trying and you will get there!

Thanks for sharing your experience, it really seems to be that face to face meetings and contacts are the way to go here. Get a foot in the door and go from there. Don't be afraid to ask people for contacts and ways in either.

Many jobs here never get advertised as people know someone they met who might just fit the bill...........it might not be fair but as with everything if you play the game according to the rules in place you might just win.

Good advice for newcomers.

it really seems to be that face to face meetings and contacts are the way to go here.

Don't be afraid to ask people for contacts and ways in either.

if you play the game according to the rules in place you might just win.

Good advice for newcomers.

:notworthy: Rammygirl.

Congrats, engrauyon!

I reckon it's easier to get work, once you have proven, local, experience of holding a similar position, so hopefully you'll be set up for a fantastic future, too!

Nice post :wubclub:.