Menatl Health Nurse jobs

peteandniccy

I am in my final year of a degree in mental health nursing and am due to qualify in September 2016. My wife is a mental health nurse with 14 years experience in acute admissions and substance misuse. I current also work as a bank nurse assistant within an intensive psychiatric care unit (IPCU) which also caters for forensic patients.

We are currently progressing through a 189 visa application and all going well would like to move to Adelaide area (Willunga/ MacLaren Vale) late 2016 early 2017.

We were in Adelaide in July and Visited Healthcare Australia who suggested that with my wifes experience she could get shifts in most mental health areas with ease. They also indicated that I would be able to register with themselves. That being said, I'd much rather find a more permanent post as I'd be newly qualified and feel I would benefit from the consistency rather than agency work.

I have contacted SA Healthcare but they didn't give away much info. Can anyone offer me any information on this subject? Noarlunga would be ideal as we would be down that way anyway. Basically how do I go about finding and applying for a job??

Thank you,

Pete and Niccy

Hello Pete and Nancy,

You could try registering for the government jobs and get a notification when your category has a vacancy.

There is a mental health unit at Noarlunga. Maybe someone on this site has knowledge of when vacancies will be coming up?

• Adaire Clinic is the base for community mental health services in the City of Onkaparinga. It provides services to registered clients through three teams, an Early Intervention Team, a Recovery and Rehabilitation Service and a Collaborative Care Team
  • Morier Ward is the mental health inpatient unit of Noarlunga Hospital
  • Self help and educational group for adults experiencing depression and anxiety at GP Plus (creche available, must book)
  • Early psychosis program for people recovering from first episode psychosis
  • Trevor Parry Community Recovery Centre, Grey Box Ave, Noarlunga Centre (behind Bunnings), 8384 9969. For clients who require intensive support to improve daily living skills and self management of illness. Support is offered through a voluntary live-in rehabilitation program for up to 6 months.
  • NEMHS - Noarlunga Emergency Mental Health Service contact for after hours and weekend support
  • Intermediate Care Centre, Jackson Place, Noarlunga Centre, 8164 9855 - for clients who require a step up, step down facility. Support is offered through a short stay facility for up to 2 weeks

Hello Clarkes,

Thank you for your reply. Its very encouraging to here that there are so many services in the Noarlunga/Onkaparinga area. Reading the list on your post inspires me to say the least especially earlier interventions for psychosis!

When you say registering for government jobs would that be on SA healthcare Australia website? I spoke to a nurse whose friend qualified in Scotland at the university of Stirling (highland campus) where I study and they managed to secure a job in Australia prior to even entering Australia. Unfortunately they couldn't elaborate on how they did it other than they had a phone interview. However this would be the ideal scenario for me as it might offer a little more stability to our family especially at a time with so much change!!

You included phone numbers on your list. I'm just wondering if phoning would be an option? I know that it wouldn't be in Scotland!

Thank you once again

Pete and Niccy

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete and Niccy,

I've been in Adelaide since end of September 2015 and I work for healthcare Australia, this agency also has a section to their site in supporting you to find full time positions as well as 3 mth contracts. I currently work in various locations and they are now getting to know where I like to work. My hours have varied from 62 hrs one week to one shift on a poor week, but this has only happened once in the past 8 wks. Its a case of the agent getting to know you and what you are looking for, check their page out again and you will see that they also give assistance in finding full time positions. I have noted over the last few weeks that the main hospitals have their own pool of nurses and have been asked to apply with two different hospitals, however I'm told by permanent staff that it is normal to be in the pool for 18mth or longer before they offer you a full time position, so I would recommend NASA Healthcare Australia as with this agency you are mobile and able to see what the areas have to offer. I have not found any full time positions since arriving but have not been short of work a part from one week since I arrived, you maybe a newly qualified but you also have a wealth of experience to offer working in the current areas you work in, you need to highlight this, I wish you both all the best

Something to keep in mind, Australia has quite a strong 'casual' employee culture. I have worked with/met quite a few Aussies that prefer to work on a casual basis and have the higher rate of pay in lieu of holiday/sick pay.

This article is back from 2012, but given the current economic climate the figure may be higher as businesses may be reluctant to recruit permanent employees....

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mediareleasesbytitle/54094CB8A57708B3CA257B51001F5D90?OpenDocument

Edited by Jessica Berry

Thanks for your positive reply @kestrel are you mental health nursing? We are getting so close to getting the visa with Medicals and police checks now done it's getting very real. Will check out the agency. Thanks

There is a shortage of mental health nurses, you should not have a problem in finding work via agency, I contacted agency before arriving and completed their references and competencies on line, only leaving practicals to complete on landing, which they arranged quickly for me, I wish you both all the best