Where would you move to for work?

Jessica Berry

I was reading The Advertiser jobs supplement over my breakfast this morning and noticed 6 job adverts for Regional SA (South Australia) - Ceduna, Port Lincoln, Port Augusta, Moonta, Eyre Peninsula and 8 adverts for other areas of Australia - NSW, Alice Springs, Victoria and 1 advert for all over Australia working on the nbn and then there was also an advert for several positions in New Zealand.

Where would people want/be prepared to move to for work?

I'm not sure I'd be prepared to move anywhere for work. Not at the moment with the kids the age they are anyway. Give it 8 years when the youngest will be at Uni and I would consider moving pretty much anywhere for work. For a year or three anyway. We did move for work in the UK when my first was a baby, but we moved back to my home town, where my parents still lived, so it wasn't quite the the same. I had said I didn't want to move from where we were but moving closer to babysitters, I mean family, seemed to make sense at the time.

I wouldn't mind a move to Perth. I know that they have their own employment issues right now but if it was work related a move to Perth wouldn't be the end of the world...Perth is close to the end of the world though!:smile:

New Zealand would be great too. Have friends there and like the place and the people (humour!)

I can think of a lot worse jobs and places than working in hospitality in Queenstown.

If only I was younger!

NicF is right though...after a while you have ties here. Would likely look at different type of work if things went pear shaped here.

In my single days I moved overseas from the UK for work. Also moved areas in England when living there.

We seriously considered moving to the Netherlands before settling on moving here. Also considered a few other places but as we are a family they didn't tick all our boxes. If it had been just husband and I, we'd probably be doing a few years in each place and moving around a fair bit.

I'd not want to live in regional SA or anywhere regional in Aus. Even places like Mt Gambier don't appeal for that reason. As stunning as some of it is, its a very different life and its not for me at this point.

I would love to live in a rural area but we decided that the ages of the children when we arrived was just wrong - they needed to have been a bit younger not heading into their teens; I reckon if you grow up with that kind of life you're OK but to move from damp Devon to outback Australia at 11 would just about do you in! Also since we're reliant on my husband's career he'd have struggled to find work in outback areas so McLaren Vale was as rural as we could push it...

But I love knowing that there's all that nothing out there for us to discover and living in a country where the Bungle Bungles are can't be bad :)

I would move rurally if there was a secure job.Used to live quit rural in Sth Aust a few years ago and loved it.Most of my folk are in Adelaide and surrounding area's,but as long as it was reasonably close to visit them on a weekend drive,yeah I'd do it.Whats the job situ like atm?

I am not sure what you class as rural, 'Adelaide' is getting further and further out, so places such as Gawler/McLaren Vale and surrounding areas are often just considered part of Adelaide and plenty of people would live there and work in the city or surrounding areas.

The job situation is mixed as always. Depends what you do and what you are willing to do! In the last week in my social circle, someone has started a casual job after being made redundant and out of work for about 3-4 months (job was sourced through a personal contact), another has picked up casual work which they are describing as their 'dream job' (again sourced through a personal contact), another friend was finished in her casual role a week ago due to a downturn in work, another contacts company are looking at going to a 3 day week to try and hold off making redundancies and then a friend had some work done at their house and the owner of the company said he is working 70 hour weeks because he has got so much work on!

I'm not sure I'd be prepared to move anywhere for work. Not at the moment with the kids the age they are anyway. Give it 8 years when the youngest will be at Uni and I would consider moving pretty much anywhere for work....

You wish! When Adelaide kids go to Uni they still live at home most of the time, and don't get any sort of Centrelink benefit that would enable them to get a flat share or similar out of the parental home as their parents' assets are still taken into account in assessing this. Until they're about 25 they are still considered the parents' responsibility, so I reckon you'll have to wait until your youngest has finished Uni before you can consider moving out of reach of Adelaide CBD!

I am not sure what you class as rural, 'Adelaide' is getting further and further out, so places such as Gawler/McLaren Vale and surrounding areas are often just considered part of Adelaide and plenty of people would live there and work in the city or surrounding areas.

I heard an advert on the radio the other day for a new land release that was "only 15 minutes from Gawler" which in itself is about 45 minutes or more from the CBD and when we were recently shopping for carpet another customer in the shop was telling the salesman that they were looking for flooring for their new build in Myponga (a good 10/15 minutes further on than Aldinga) and that they'd built there even though they both worked in the City because land was cheaper for a larger block. Both places I reckon would have been considered rural perhaps only even 5 years ago.

When I worked in the CBD as a Trainer/Assessor I used to have a student that came to class from Sellicks Beach on the bus (or might have been bus and train), from memory I think it was a 2 hour trip each way!

I have worked with people that travelled from Murray Bridge to the CBD, the Western suburbs to Murray Bridge, Victor Harbor to the Western Suburbs, Mannum to the Western suburbs, Kapunda to the CBD, from the UK to Adelaide (they did 3 months in Adelaide then back to their families in the UK for 2 weeks, then back again for 3 month etc), Whyalla to Adelaide (there was no work in Whyalla at their company so the option was redundancy or work in the Adelaide office, so the lady used to leave her husband and kids in Whyalla and work in Adelaide and go back some weekends) and others I know of due to the recession in Ireland have come over here to work and their families have stayed in Ireland and they send money back to them.

I guess it depends on your circumstances what you would be prepared to do or where you would be prepared to go for work.