Biggest Issues Facing South Australia - survey results

Jessica Berry

Yes, this is true. I think peoples perception as well regarding jobs and job security in South Australia has obviously been fuelled by the impending closure of Holden/and associated industries and the uncertainty with the shipbuilding industry which gets a lot of media attention.

While I would agree the State is struggling, in my opinion there are still jobs, but again it depends what you do and what you are willing to do. I think a lot of people do not look at the big picture and while it might not be the perfect job, it is what it might lead to that people need to think about in the current climate. A friend advertised a job recently and didn't receive any applicants! Another friend was looking to recruit 40+ casual workers (in a role that would have been a great stepping stone into other things) but struggled to get people. The contract I am currently working on, they struggled to find someone with this particular skill set. Where my OH works, in an economic downturn they tend to pick up more work and they have recruited in most months this year to keep up with demand.

Yes, this is true. I think peoples perception as well regarding jobs and job security in South Australia has obviously been fuelled by the impending closure of Holden/and associated industries and the uncertainty with the shipbuilding industry which gets a lot of media attention.

While I would agree the State is struggling, in my opinion there are still jobs, but again it depends what you do and what you are willing to do. I think a lot of people do not look at the big picture and while it might not be the perfect job, it is what it might lead to that people need to think about in the current climate. A friend advertised a job recently and didn't receive any applicants! Another friend was looking to recruit 40+ casual workers (in a role that would have been a great stepping stone into other things) but struggled to get people. The contract I am currently working on, they struggled to find someone with this particular skill set. Where my OH works, in an economic downturn they tend to pick up more work and they have recruited in most months this year to keep up with demand.

The unfortunate reason Adelaide or SA may struggle to find experienced people with a specific skill set is either the employer does not know what they want ? (not unheard of) or polishes up the job spec to be so over the top (a typical inferiority complex) ,you know the sort of job advert, must be flexible (code for work weekends for no pay) knows excel and also needs to have recent experience as an astronaut, nuclear surgeon and any knowledge of powerpoint will be a big plus, but must report to someone with 1/2 the IQ of the applicants dog.

I've seen jobs advertised where the requirements would make an investment bank Quant nervous, yet the job is for some lower-middle tier mediocre operation in the inner burbs of 5000 and the guy interviewing can barely hold a pencil, and finally but seriously the reason that jobs don't get applicants is a worrying one and there is only two reasons, 1) all the people qualified for the job have left (problem) or any of the people who may be qualified for the job are discouraged from looking (bigger problem).

Guest Guest14361
The unfortunate reason Adelaide or SA may struggle to find experienced people with a specific skill set is either the employer does not know what they want ? (not unheard of) or polishes up the job spec to be so over the top (a typical inferiority complex) ,you know the sort of job advert, must be flexible (code for work weekends for no pay) knows excel and also needs to have recent experience as an astronaut, nuclear surgeon and any knowledge of powerpoint will be a big plus, but must report to someone with 1/2 the IQ of the applicants dog.

I've seen jobs advertised where the requirements would make an investment bank Quant nervous, yet the job is for some lower-middle tier mediocre operation in the inner burbs of 5000 and the guy interviewing can barely hold a pencil, and finally but seriously the reason that jobs don't get applicants is a worrying one and there is only two reasons, 1) all the people qualified for the job have left (problem) or any of the people who may be qualified for the job are discouraged from looking (bigger problem).

Having been been around abit and been there done that, the above by Deryans is so true, some of the job ads are unbelievable when you read in between the lines and understand what they really want.

• 3 weeks later...

I was chatting with my hairdresser recently and she said this year she has 'lost' about 25 clients as they have all moved interstate or overseas for work after losing their jobs in Adelaide (most working for the same large employer). This is the knock on effect for other businesses that often isn't reported and the reality of the closure of Holden/associated businesses, eg the newsagent/deli that the workers call off at on their way to work/home from work to get the lotto or a paper.

Hi Deryans

I do so agree with you about employer expectations.

Several years ago I applied for an advertised admin job with a local charity and I passed the 2ndd stage of interviews. Then I received an email telling me that they had decided they really needed a qualified nurse for this admin post. The actual job spec only asked for degree level health and social welfare with medical Admin experience, both qualifications I held. Not surprisingly I did not get the job.

I have a 24 year old son who has been unemployed for nearly 2 years now. He has a number of TAFE qualifications, full driving licence, and white card; he himself has paid for a forklift licence and Tag & Test qualification and a number of police checks.

What does make me angry is the number of recruitment agencies who insist on a police check which is less than 3 months old. In order to apply for a job such as production worker- he has to regularly reapply for police checks out of his own money.

He is registered with a job provider (as mandated by Centrelink) and despite nearly 500 job applications he has found no work. His job provider has found him nothing and despite their promises of trades Work experiences-this never materialized. He has tried ring companies asking for work experience. One

Company only would take him on if he worked for no pay for 6 months and called him idle and lazy when he politely refused. Another employer only wanted him to work a small driving job -off the books- no paperwork to be completed.

He has completed 6 months “Work for the Dole” at a shop of a well-known charity where he was only allowed to sort out donated goods for sale and of course this led to no job at the end of it. He is now looking at yet another 6 months for this “employer”, which if he refuses- his money will be stopped.

Not surprisingly, both he and I are pretty disillusioned about job prospects for young people in SA- no wonder working age people move interstate.

I have a 24 year old son who has been unemployed for nearly 2 years now. He has a number of TAFE qualifications, full driving licence, and white card; he himself has paid for a forklift licence and Tag & Test qualification and a number of police checks.

What does make me angry is the number of recruitment agencies who insist on a police check which is less than 3 months old. In order to apply for a job such as production worker- he has to regularly reapply for police checks out of his own money.

He is registered with a job provider (as mandated by Centrelink) and despite nearly 500 job applications he has found no work. His job provider has found him nothing and despite their promises of trades Work experiences-this never materialized. He has tried ring companies asking for work experience. One

Company only would take him on if he worked for no pay for 6 months and called him idle and lazy when he politely refused. Another employer only wanted him to work a small driving job -off the books- no paperwork to be completed.

He has completed 6 months “Work for the Dole” at a shop of a well-known charity where he was only allowed to sort out donated goods for sale and of course this led to no job at the end of it. He is now looking at yet another 6 months for this “employer”, which if he refuses- his money will be stopped.

Not surprisingly, both he and I are pretty disillusioned about job prospects for young people in SA- no wonder working age people move interstate.

I have worked with long term unemployed people both in the UK and in Adelaide and often there are other factors involved why people struggle to find work. What line of work did your son do before he was unemployed? Perhaps it may be time to look for opportunities interstate in his line of work.

I was chatting with my hairdresser recently and she said this year she has 'lost' about 25 clients as they have all moved interstate or overseas for work after losing their jobs in Adelaide (most working for the same large employer). This is the knock on effect for other businesses that often isn't reported and the reality of the closure of Holden/associated businesses, eg the newsagent/deli that the workers call off at on their way to work/home from work to get the lotto or a paper.

Chatting to parents of kids in her class about what they were up to over Christmas break, Mrs keldaz discovered 5 families split by current work situation. She said I kept asking people what they were up to over Christmas, " off to Darwin " came the reply, Dad had to go there for work. Repeat that with Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and 1 to Hobart! But don't worry the Ladies are doing their bit too, 2 out of the 5 missing were Mummy's. Hi I'm Mummy, bye bye see you when your 18.

Chatting to parents of kids in her class about what they were up to over Christmas break, Mrs keldaz discovered 5 families split by current work situation. She said I kept asking people what they were up to over Christmas, " off to Darwin " came the reply, Dad had to go there for work. Repeat that with Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and 1 to Hobart! But don't worry the Ladies are doing their bit too, 2 out of the 5 missing were Mummy's. Hi I'm Mummy, bye bye see you when your 18.

This thread is starting to morph into another thread I started!!! :idea:.......

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/47259-where-would-you-move-work.html

We know quite a few Aussies doing the same. Our neighbours are moving interstate for a few years next month as husband works away a few weeks at a time and they have decided to go spend some time as a family closer to his work rather than him being home for a week, 10 days every few weeks. They plan to return to Adelaide though and its a temp move (school holidays here etc). He's been doing the job for years though and they seem well used to it.

A few other families I know have a parent working interstate. One family are relocating to QLD over the summer hols as that is where he is working. They are happy with the move from what I can tell. Others are staying in Adelaide and the parent working away.

Hubby used to work away quite a bit with his job when we were in the UK. He used to do the Mon-Fri work away and home on weekends but would often have to skip the weekend if it was busy or he only made it back for 24 hours. Thankfully here it doesn't happen so much and if it does its more interstate trips than overseas as it was before.

• 3 weeks later...

The Employment Minister for South Australia Gail Gago resigned this week. Quote from the Opposition....

Opposition Leader Steven Marshall urged the premier to give the employment portfolio to a senior member of the cabinet in Monday's reshuffle.

"South Australia's unemployment crisis is the single most important issue facing the state and it's time the employment minister became the driver of an effective jobs creation strategy," Mr Marshall said.

"Since 2009 there have been six employment ministers in a revolving door that has resulted in a complete failure to develop a long-term, co-ordinated policy to deliver job creation in South Australia."

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen a few of those adverts in my time in Adelaide and they always make me smile (and usually shake my head!). I love the 3 in 1 combination, so in reality 3 completely different skill sets and roles but they mix them all together and hey presto they get 1 job!

This job only requires 2 completely different skill sets :biggrin:.....

Masseuse Secretary.jpg