30+ more gone

Guest Guest14361

Guest Guest14361

Another 30+ more jobs gone, firstly Schweppes at Payenhams their filling plant closes end of March and today bottle making plant in Cavan that supplies 25 million bottles a year to them closes march

Another one from 13 January 2016, which also highlights the 'casual worker' culture within Adelaide/Australia....

SOUTH Australia’s job crisis has deepened with 140 jobs to go from a Lonsdale car component manufacturer by the end of March.

SMR Automotive (SMRA) workers were told of the impending redundancies this morning, which will see 110 labour hire contractors and 30 permanent employees lose their job. This represents around a quarter of SMRA’s local workforce.

Employees have until next week to express their interest in a redundancy.

The job losses are largely a result of SMRA losing a major contract to supply mirrors to Ford trucks in the US.

In a statement, SMRA general manager of operations John Scott said the “regrettable” decision had to be made as the company transitions away from a reliance on the automotive sector.

“This restructure is necessary in SMRA’s transition from being a manufacturer of high volume, more conventional products to a provider of lower volume, niche products offering new technologies and higher innovation,” he said.

Ok. A tangent on the original topic but it all depends where in the UK you are from whether you can relate to the adelaide job market. Obviously some English folk on the forum are from the sticks and can relate to the slow and possible downturn situations. The people from London like me was in culture shock when we first arrived. Maybe we had it easier and finding jobs from the barrel was rare. I like adelaide. Just wish the job market was like how the south Aussies drive if you catch my drift?

However, not all sectors are struggling and there are still opportunities in Adelaide, but in my experience it depends what you do and what you are willing to do. My advice to migrants thinking of coming over to live in Adelaide, is to do your research regarding the opportunities in your industry and your specific job role.

I couldn't agree more.

We hit a "qualifications snag" when we arrived. My OH went from a senior management role to working in retail whilst enrolled in TAFE. The last time he had worked at that level was at Asda when he was 15!

But, it brought in the required Dollars and was just a temporary stopgap position.

The economy is very strange at the moment. Certain fields are desperate for workers and others like manufacturing are dying...a sign of overall change?

Guest Guest14361
Another 30+ more jobs gone, firstly Schweppes at Payenhams their filling plant closes end of March and today bottle making plant in Cavan that supplies 25 million bottles a year to them closes march

I should know I'm actually one of these people from the latter

We gave up due to work. There isn't any. Came back to the uk. Jobs in the engineering, health and manufacturing side ...fantastic here in the uk. Just a shame there isn't the work in oz and we would have stayed (it was our second attempt!) yep, waiting for shipment for the 4th time!! If you have secured jobs in the U.K really think about it.

Guest Guest14361
There is not many opportunities in Adelaide anymore and in fact the whole of the south of Australia to be honest, it is fast developing its old joke about becoming the retirement state of Australia, and that's no joke

Spot on.....the state government invest 24 million dollars in the north to offset the Holden job losses....ffs... most of it goes on aged care!!!

Ok. A tangent on the original topic but it all depends where in the UK you are from whether you can relate to the adelaide job market. Obviously some English folk on the forum are from the sticks and can relate to the slow and possible downturn situations. The people from London like me was in culture shock when we first arrived. Maybe we had it easier and finding jobs from the barrel was rare. I like adelaide. Just wish the job market was like how the south Aussies drive if you catch my drift?

I'm not sure introducing drink and drugs to the job market is such a good idea KennyKen :biggrin:

I am hearing more stories of job losses due to 'automation' just recently, possibly due to businesses looking for ways to be more efficient/cut costs in the current climate. My advice to people is to ensure you have multiple skill sets to keep yourself as employable as possible in challenging/competitive times.

My current role has had part of it automated with a new electronic process, I know of another organisation that has introduced a new system and cut the department workforce by over half, someone else who now has less hours due to part of their admin role becoming computerised, another example below...

BOM.jpg

On 7 news tonight, Martelco (family owned equipment hire company) told workers today they will finish on Friday, 43 jobs gone in SA. According to the news report it is due to a downturn in construction and an influx of bigger national companies.

Downturn in Construction? Oh this makes me feel very uneasy. My hubby is a Carpenter and we currently have our lovely home in UK up for sale ready to make the move to Adelaide .................. we have two children and as much as I want to move for the improved way of life - all the talk of unemployment etc is making me doubt if this is a good thing for our family....... my children are 3 and 5!! My hubby needs work to feed us!!

Deep breathes, deep breathes xx

I've just had an email saying someone has responded but it's not here!! I'm more anxious than ever!!!

Take a deep breath ,have anothe cup of coffee ,too early in the day for a wine

if you have done your homework then hopefully you will be fine ,the only thing concerns me is that you say you want a better way of life in what context ?

i think a lot of people emigrate with some odd views reality is in Oz you still need to get up on a morning and go to work ,unless you have won the lottery that is

There is a huge expansion of new build houses in the southern suburbs I don't know about north as we never travelled up that way when we were there in December

The initial getting your foot under the table will take time so be prepared for a contingency plan

I think house selling and emigrating is sooo stressful but you will get there

Take a deep breath ,have anothe cup of coffee ,too early in the day for a wine

if you have done your homework then hopefully you will be fine ,the only thing concerns me is that you say you want a better way of life in what context ?

i think a lot of people emigrate with some odd views reality is in Oz you still need to get up on a morning and go to work ,unless you have won the lottery that is

There is a huge expansion of new build houses in the southern suburbs I don't know about north as we never travelled up that way when we were there in December

The initial getting your foot under the table will take time so be prepared for a contingency plan

I think house selling and emigrating is sooo stressful but you will get there

Hi! Thank you for your reply ............ I was referring to an improved way of life........... hubby being home from work to spend time with the kids (realises he will be starting earlier but he's happy with that). Spending weekends outside rather than stuck inside. Walking down the street and not being afraid to look sideways at anyone including children!! I was at the park yesterday and there were 3 teenagers and I mean early teens and the F word was every other word when they were speaking!! I was with my 3 and 5 year old but I daren't say anything because they sounded as rough as anything and I was too afraid!!!!

We have lived in Adelaide before - we moved in 2006 and hubby walked into a job within days of looking - he's a carpenter..... and that was great. We realised that it probably wouldn't be as easy as that this time and have a contingency but it will realistically only last us 1 month so all the talk of high unemployment is really worrying me. Our families are dead set against our move to Australia this time mainly because of our children so any conversation with them is always very negative about the move!! I'm really lost to be honest.

We left Adelaide 15 months after arriving all the years ago because we had a child that was diagnosed with a terminal illness and we returned to the UK so she could meet all her family..... she died aged 1 year and 19 days and we just remained in UK. We would never have left Adelaide otherwise. It has taken until now for the time to feel right for us emotionally and financially however as I've said all the talk in the forums about high unemployment is making me very very uneasy. Sorry for the ramble!!

We have lived in Adelaide before - we moved in 2006 and hubby walked into a job within days of looking - he's a carpenter..... and that was great. We realised that it probably wouldn't be as easy as that this time and have a contingency but it will realistically only last us 1 month so all the talk of high unemployment is really worrying me.

Perhaps have a look at the thread I started on the time it can take to find a job to give you a bit more information. In Adelaide 3-6 months to find work, depending on the time of year you come over can be quite normal. Of course this isn't the case for everyone, some people do find work quicker and others may take longer, everyone has different experiences depending on their skill set, mind set, personal circumstances, the location they choose to live in, the list goes on and on...

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/46820-statistics-time-takes-find-job.html

Edited by Jessica Berry

Hi! Thank you for your reply ............ I was referring to an improved way of life........... hubby being home from work to spend time with the kids (realises he will be starting earlier but he's happy with that). Spending weekends outside rather than stuck inside. Walking down the street and not being afraid to look sideways at anyone including children!! I was at the park yesterday and there were 3 teenagers and I mean early teens and the F word was every other word when they were speaking!! I was with my 3 and 5 year old but I daren't say anything because they sounded as rough as anything and I was too afraid!!!!

We have lived in Adelaide before - we moved in 2006 and hubby walked into a job within days of looking - he's a carpenter..... and that was great. We realised that it probably wouldn't be as easy as that this time and have a contingency but it will realistically only last us 1 month so all the talk of high unemployment is really worrying me. Our families are dead set against our move to Australia this time mainly because of our children so any conversation with them is always very negative about the move!! I'm really lost to be honest.

We left Adelaide 15 months after arriving all the years ago because we had a child that was diagnosed with a terminal illness and we returned to the UK so she could meet all her family..... she died aged 1 year and 19 days and we just remained in UK. We would never have left Adelaide otherwise. It has taken until now for the time to feel right for us emotionally and financially however as I've said all the talk in the forums about high unemployment is making me very very uneasy. Sorry for the ramble!!

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I would not look at this forum for a source of advice regarding the employment situation. People telling you its fine already have jobs,

Adelaide is in a horrendous state. Really, really bad.

Carpenter is a great trade and having been here already it is an advantage. But from what I have read the risks are way too high and you should consider your family.

If you have an income there stay put otherwise consider Sydney or Melbourne even then one months leeway is not nearly enough.

I understand you may have an emotional connection to the place but really do not add to your already stressful few years. Be happy and thankful where you are.

As Jessica said 3-6 months ....... and I would say at least that.