Career Advice

Matt796

Hi.

My partner has secured a job offer with sponsorship for Adelaide. However, I will need to also find a job and having read several of the posts in this forum I am not particularly optimistic!

I have a background in Law Enforcement - investigations and surveillance and have no idea where to start or what recruitment companies to speak to.

We are considering declining the offer and looking for state nomination from NT.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Work is hard to come by for some, in some trades/professions here. I don't deny that but also there are people finding jobs and making a go of it also. Everyones story is different.

I'd be cautious of opting for the NT unless you are really prepared for that way of life up there and realise what it would be like to live there long term and want to embrace it. Darwin is far far smaller than Adelaide and has its own problems. Its humid up there and hot also. And no swimming in the sea due to salt water crocs iirc. If you are really keen on Darwin or elsewhere in the NT then go for it but I don't expect your work options to be massively better up there than here tbh. And the lifestyle could be very different to what you are used to.

If your partner has a job offer and sponsorship lined up for SA it could be a good move in at least one of you will have a job to come to. Work wise for you you could do some research online into your area of work and see if there are businesses set up already doing what you do or similar. Contact some recruitment agencies if that is where you find your work in the UK and see if it could be on the books here also. If you find your work privately, look there. I've never come across people in your line of work here and its not an area I could even hazard a guess on tbh.

SA used to recruit from the UK but not for a while now.

I don't know the ins and outs of police recruitment here. I do know its PR or citizenship to be able to join. Would you be on a PR visa? I am not sure the visa you will be on will be a PR type. If not, you'll be unable to even consider joining the police here, no matter which state you opt for.

http://www.achievemore.com.au/police-officer-careers/about-you/

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Police/Careers-in-policing/Frequently-asked-questions.aspx

The visa for NT would be a 190.

The our migration agent is looking at is a 187?

SA Police have said they would allow me an abridged course if they ran one and could possibly start on a 7 years service payscale.

I was offered a job with WAPOL in 2006 and had PR but stupidly declined the job offer and stayed in the UK. As a result I cancelled my PR visa then!

The 187 is a regional visa. If SA is classed as regional (and I think it is) then it would be PR for SA also.

Has your partner been offered a job in the NT also? Or is it still dependant on getting a job offer?

If you want to continue in the police and SA are hiring and there is a visa option that is PR for SA, then give it serious consideration.

Personally, if it was a toss up between say Darwin or Alice Springs or Adelaide and you could get work in either police force, I'd opt for Adelaide. I just couldn't do Darwin long term nor somewhere like Alice Springs. But some do settle up there. I think you've really got to love and want that lifestyle up there to opt for the NT.

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

My partner's occupation is on the state nomination occupation list for NT and we should qualify for PR via this. Also she has had 3 employers requesting she attend their businesses upon any arrival into NT.

I think the NT option would be better as I could obtain PR and start applying from the UK whereas the expectation with SA would be to arrive asap after the visa is granted

Hi Matt.

Have you thought about having a look at Darwin and Adelaide before making the choice?

Manufacturing jobs are taking a hammering in South Australia at the moment but that doesn't mean that there aren't jobs here in other fields.

I have been here for almost 9 years and we have traveled a fair bit since moving here. Of all the capital cities only Brisbane really grabs me as being a place that I could live in if I was to move from Adelaide. I know so many people who decided to have a look at other cities before they made the choice. Some went to Perth for a couple of weeks and then came here....some stayed others went back to Perth!

It's a strange place is Australia...like many different but similar countries all in one.

I totally understand your trepidation...if I read some of the endless posts of job losses it would worry me...but that's only one side and the people posting either didn't settle or have had personal experience of manufacturing closure and job losses.

Have a look first and compare different cities. Darwin is not for everyone and there may be other areas outside of Adelaide that also tick all the boxes.

The visa for NT would be a 190.

The our migration agent is looking at is a 187?

SA Police have said they would allow me an abridged course if they ran one and could possibly start on a 7 years service payscale.

I was offered a job with WAPOL in 2006 and had PR but stupidly declined the job offer and stayed in the UK. As a result I cancelled my PR visa then!

You should probably be aware that the NT have stopped giving sponsorship for 190 visas unless the individual has strong ties to the state and are instead offering sponsorship for the regional provisional visa (can't remember the number). On this visa you have to live in the designated area for two years before gaining permemant residency. Plus you would not be able to work for the police force there. Generally it is accepted that it is better to have a job to come to than to arrive without work so if your OH has a job offer on the table, especially if it would mean a PR visa, I would take it and go.

Well I am a serving Police Officer and have been for over 14 years. It's difficult to see my job as transferable to the private sector and I am not sure about SA Police even if I obtain PR?

Have you contacted SAPOL to see how the situation is its a while back but I sat next to a guy on a flight from the UK , a Detective from Yorkshire who was going to the northern suburbs of Adelaide as a police officer To go into the private sector in Security in SA you need to be licensed Must admit when I got my license ( many years ago ) it was like a license to work

SA have been helpful and welcomed an application when I obtain my PR.

the last force to recruit was WA from the UK. They had a cut off of having 10 years service or less....the strange thing is I was younger than two officers who got jobs but they joined the Police in later life whereas I joined at 19 straight from college so unfortunately I couldn't fulfil their criteria on that occasion.

reading through this thread..it occurs to me that we have all assumed that "Job Opportunities in the NT" are based in Darwin, when they could just as easily be Katherine, Tennant Creek, or even HumptyDoo.....you wouldn't be the first to fall for that one

- in which case, you might be better off basing yourself in Adelaide and doing FIFO Security work for the mining industry.

JB

I don't mind that. It will give me time still in the UK to start applying whereas with SA I will have to get there asap for my partner to start work.

although apparently SA Corrections are recruiting often which may be a possibility.

Have a look in the SA gov site in relation to the security and investigations act I worked in retail with my licence but several friends or colleagues went on to the police force ,correctional services and federal policing The license could be a star on the ladder albeit a slow climb at times

Thanks - will definitely take a look

I am still in touch with a lad who works in security in the State Library I will ask him some qeustions plus have another friend just gone into the police force will speak to him too Often it's not what you know it's who you know