Setting up as a consultant

I have been asked by my current company to do some work for them on arrival in Australia for the Australian arm of the business. We have been discussing options in terms of whether to be employed by the PTY business directly or to possibly go self-employed as a consultant (which may be better in the long run in terms of business activities I can undertaken). Does anyone have any initial insight in to how to get myself set up on arrival, whether i need to be registered as a company and the initial steps I need to take to get an ABN...any info gratefully received.

Thanks

Sarah

Hi John, I'm an HR Manager/Business Parter but am focused at the moment on mergers and acquisitions and will be looking at possible divestment of part of my parent company in Australia in line with ACCC requirements. The challenge i have is if employed directly by my company i can only get involved in the divestment but if I go self employed i could potentially also look at the acquisition piece as well which could open up more opportunities. I'm coming over on a PR State sponsored visa so don't see any issues with being self employed. regards, Sarah

OK..... I'll pass it on to a friend who runs a Consultancy. His area is remodeling existing multi- site businesses..... but, who knows, he might see an opportunity for something (maybe in the way of a limited partnership).

(- This would be presuming, of course, that there would not be anything in the way of Insider-Trading type considerations......The ACCC don't come up with these restrictions for the sake of it, after all)

- why not flick me a line on as a private message, and I'll contact him

JB :swoon: