Salary and Suburbs for a potential move to Adelaide

Hi. I've recently been offered a position in Adelaide as an insurance loss adjuster. The salary they have offered is $72,500.00 however I have nothing to compare this against as I don't know anyone in Australia already doing the job. Not sure if anyone has any insight into the typical salary for this type of role? I'm on £37,000.00 in the uk so generally speaking would this salary afford me a comparable degree of comfort / lifestyle? Ive had a look at rental properties on Realestate.com and Domian.com and to afford something I think I'd be comfortable living in (i.e not a flat/apartment) I'd have to spend around £2,500.00 a month (unfurnished) which seems quite high. I've been mainly focusing my search on the CBD and suburbs close to the CBD. I'm a single man (39) so I don't want to be too isolated and alone in my first few months / year but if there is a suburb a bit further out that does have a bit more too it then I would consider it.

Sorry for for all the questions but this is a massive decision and one I don't want to make unless I feel I'm completely informed. Any other general advice would also be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum.

£2500 a month seems really high for a rental for a single guy. What kind of places were you looking at? I'm assuming you mean $2500 a month not £2500 a month, but even then it seems pretty high. If you want city centre living then realistically you are looking at an apartment. I wouldn't be too dismissive of apartment living - particularly in the CBD as a lot of living space in the city is apartments. We stayed in one for 5 nights after our house was flooded. It was 3 bedrooms with a huge living space, balconies and very nice. I'd certainly recommend going and looking at some before deciding it's not for you.

Other suburbs you could possibly consider could be Glenelg or Norwood. Both have quite a bit going on. Norwood is (kind of) walking distance to the city and you could get the tram in from Glenelg. I wouldn't set your heart on any suburb without having a look at it first though. Most people book short term furnished accomodation for when they get here then have a good look round at suburbs before deciding where to settle.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for replying. Sorry, yes I meant $2.5k a month! Would you be able to recommend any apartments In the CBD? My main concern is that they are more than likely part residential and partly tourist accommodation. I'd hate to be living in an apartment that was next to one that was occupied with holiday makers who may not be considerate of residents i.e partying on their balconies of a weekend.

Thanks again for your reply!

Hi there,

There are quite a few suburbs that may satisfy your needs and cheaper than $2500 per month. Glenelg / Brighton is quite popular and has an active shopping strip with eateries, a great beach, some activity. A tram connection to the city would mean a bit of a commute but nothing too serious.

The suburbs further out, would be much cheaper than $2500 pm but the commute would be longer. $400 pw would get you a great home (bigger than you need)in many livable suburbs but you could add 20 to 30 minutes on your commute time.

I am sure that you could rent a smaller furnished place in the city for cheaper than $2500 pm. Have you had a look for a short / longer term furnished rental...maybe on Airbnb...they should give a good discount for a longer stay.

Hi Tamara,

Thanks for your advice. I'll widen my search radius I think. Do you have any advice regarding the salary they have offered. Would it be considered low? The same position in Sydney offers 85k but the company I work for has told me that, that is a "Sydney" salary and Adelaide is a cheaper place to live. I know Adelaide is cheaper but is it really 12.5k cheaper? I need to be confident that I'm being offered a fair salary. You know what these big corporates are like! I don't want my lack of knowledge being exploited. Ha Ha.

Check the rental prices out in Sydney and then you will understand why! Plus your salary seems on par with what you were earning in UK. Commute from Brighton is 20 mins on train. Would you even call it a commute? For $2.5k a month I'd expect a bloody 4 bed with pool in Henley.

Edited by KennyKen

Hi Tamara,

Thanks for your advice. I'll widen my search radius I think. Do you have any advice regarding the salary they have offered. Would it be considered low? The same position in Sydney offers 85k but the company I work for has told me that, that is a "Sydney" salary and Adelaide is a cheaper place to live. I know Adelaide is cheaper but is it really 12.5k cheaper? I need to be confident that I'm being offered a fair salary. You know what these big corporates are like! I don't want my lack of knowledge being exploited. Ha Ha.

The salary would be higher in Sydney to compensate for the increased cost of living...which quite rightly said, is rent.

I have been to Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart, Perth and Brisbane and cannot advise about utilities, rates etc but only found it slightly more expensive to eat out.

The salary they are offering is around the average salary but as you don't have kids, aftercare etc you should have a good level of disposable income.

I'd second Glenelg or Norwood. The CBD is great too. My husband lived just off Grote St for a couple of years and loved it. Was great as we had the Central Market a few minutes walk away, Chinatown area and then Victoria Sq for the tram into the rest of the CBD or out toward the beachside suburb of Glenelg. TBH though, living somewhere like Glenelg or Norwood would see plenty going on also. Glenelg is a popular city beachside suburb with lots of cafes, bars, nice shops, green space and events on throughout the year. Lots of lovely apartment options at the end of Jetty Rd might suit. And then an easy commute into the CBD on the tram for work if that is where you are based.

Given most people commute into the CBD for work, it isn't vital to live there IMHO. And you do pay the premium for living there. Sure you'll have ease of access to everything going on but plenty of people head into the city without issue for nights out, events and more. As I said, Glenelg by tram is a good option and only takes about 35-40 minutes.

Salary wise, I'd say that is a decent Adelaide salary but I don't know the line of work you are in to know what it usually pays, but ballpark salary wise, $72,500 is good going. $12.5k isn't that big a difference I don't think. TBH $85K for Sydney sounds low to me and rental wise there you'd not be looking at city living or a popular central area unless it was a tiny space.

As has been said, your Adelaide salary for a single person with no dependants should see a fair chunk of disposable income. And your budget for a property is set pretty high and for many that would get them a 3-4 bed house with garden in lots of suburbs outside of the CBD. But I am guessing you are not after the 3/4 bed home and all that so look for something that you are after and see what turns up. Apartment living in Glenelg near the beach may appeal, or a small older style house there may suit (they often have smaller houses there, 2 beds, 1 bath and the like). If you do look at Glenelg I'd suggest you focus on the beach side of Brighton Rd and not go further north than Anzac Highway or much further south than Broadway. I suggest this as its an easy walk to Jetty Rd and the tram from within this area (and bearable on the hotter days) and going further out would mean either a bit of a hike to the shops for shopping or tram route and then a walk to your home. The beach area around Jetty Rd has cafes, restaurants, bars and other things going on and its good to be close to it. We used to live a few minutes walk from Jetty Rd and it was lovely. Further out into Glenelg (north east and south) you may find you need a car for getting around more plus it doesn't have the same feel to it being far more residential etc than in and around Jetty Rd.

I did a quick check of rentals in Glenelg up to $500 pw

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-house-unit+apartment-with-1-bedroom-between-0-500-in-glenelg%2c+sa+5045%3b/list-1?maxBeds=3

Hi Snifter,

Thanks for such a comprehensive response I really appreciate it. I do like the look of Norwood. I'd like to be close to somewhere like the parade so this area looks great. Do you have any thoughts on Parkside and Unley. Seems to be some quite nice (and affordable) two bed old style cottages there. Is this a nice area? I think I'd prefer to be closer to the CBD than the beach.

Thanks so much again for your response.

Phil

Unley is nice - some gorgeous old character properties around there. I don't know it well but it doesn't seem to have as much going on as Norwood, although I might be missing something. The thing that always strikes me about Unley though is the streets seem (relatively) narrow and a lot of the older houses don't seem to have driveways.