Industrial Designer Looking For Work

bcrich01

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and moved over back in August. I'm here with my partner, she's got a 457 and I'm on a WHV, and have been working hard to find work.

It all seemed to be going well and had two interviews last week, neither worked out sadly, and have been speaking with recruiters a lot and building my network out here.

One thing that seems to be tripping me up is visas. I thought that it wouldn't be too difficult to get sponsored out here but people do seem to be shying away from it when I talk to them? Anyone got any advice?

I've got 5 years experience in design from Dyson and Burberry in both products and graphics so feel like I have a strong career backing.

Cheers for your help and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may well be the jobs you are looking at, the companies don't want to employ you on a WHV and then sponsor you. If they can find suitable local candidates and don't need to sponsor, thats fair enough.

Also I am not sure your job is even on the list for sponsorship, and even if it is, perhaps not for SA. So it could be people can't sponsor you even if they wanted to.

You've only been looking a few weeks and chances are on a WHV the jobs you are after, employers may not want to consider you. WHV jobs are usually more casual, short term type things.

A WHV should not really be viewed as being an easy path to sponsorship. For some trades it may work out but for many more, it does not.

Why did you not go on your partners 457? That would have been a better option in terms of you not needing a sponsor of your own, though it still might have limited your employment options, you'd at least have had a 4 year visa and been able to seek work lasting longer than 6 months with each employer.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions really. I'd keep going with agencies and applying for jobs and hopefully you will luck out with something but it may not be a job you can be sponsored in.

Edited by snifter
eta

Hey,

Yeah I'm coming to that realisation although the two companies seemed quite open to the prospect initially but then went with someone else at the final step.

I think that's what I'm going to do, as you say, it gives me more options and time to look!

Cheers

Hi all,

Just an update, I have managed to get a job in my field which sounds excellent!

I agree that a WHV shouldn't be viewed as a ticket to sponsorship but for anyone coming out in a similar situation to me just persist! It's a number game and networking is the most important part of it! Linked in is one of your most useful tools in finding a job you want!

Happy to speak to people more personally if I can help at all

Cheers

Hi all,

Just an update, I have managed to get a job in my field which sounds excellent!

I agree that a WHV shouldn't be viewed as a ticket to sponsorship but for anyone coming out in a similar situation to me just persist! It's a number game and networking is the most important part of it! Linked in is one of your most useful tools in finding a job you want!

Happy to speak to people more personally if I can help at all

Cheers

i don't want to put a downer on you finding a job, but I had a couple lined up before coming out which fell through, because visas are not as easy as some employers assume. Fingers crossed it all goes well for you.

It's all locked in, start on monday

Sorry, it was the sponsorship part I was talking about. Not all employers are eligible to sponsor people and not all jobs can be sponsored for. I know the upset of thinking it's all go and then finding out its not going to happen.