Discrimination? hard to find?....

antlet

We were given a SIR495 in April, which from what I can make out means it is a "provisional permanent" visa. In effect to meet the conditions of the visa, we have to live in Adelaide for 2 years, work for 1 year and then can apply for permanency therafter - if we meet the criteria.

Being fairly outgoing and self motivated, we felt that we would arrive in Adelaide (we aren't there yet) and pick up work doing something - even a coffee shop initially, while looking for jobs in our respective fields.

I'm a Personal Trainer, I may have to re certify a little to be accepted in Oz - no big deal there, I'm prepared to do that.

My husband is a social worker/child care manager - infact equivalent to the UK Director of Child Protection Services. We were awarded the visa on merit of his skills and a skills shortage in his discipline. Now, I understand that just because there is a skills shortage it doesn't actually mean that there are posts available, but I would assume however, that when posts do become available, that he would be able to apply, and given his experience and proven work history to date at Government level and policy development in this country, that he would be pretty much in the running for any post he apply for. He is more than willing to start at a lower grade given the differences in country,policy, etc

So, after our intial panic, we began to relax and plan, flights booked for 24th November,identified an area we think we'd like to live, etc etc. We know the move isn't going to be all rosy in the garden, we aren't that naive. With any move (even in a country you are familiar with) its always stressful, and moving to the other side of the world is going to throw a few more stresses into the situation I'm sure, but........we came to the opinion, its worth a go.......until I read a post on this forum and could identify with it. I've seen many posts on these type forums good and bad, but this one has struck home alittle and beginning to panic us.

In it the poster has now been in Adelaide for the last couple of years on the same visa type as ours. She has been unsuccessful in finding any work, despite the fact she is a primary school teacher. Because she has a "temporary" visa (its not yet been made permanent) she feels that employers discriminate between PR's and temporary visa holders. She came from an excellent position in the UK, own home, financial security, etc and now has nothing.....can't return to the UK, no funds!! This really frightens me, as we are kind of in the same situation. My husband has a full, permanent, pensionable job, own home,etc etc - could this become our reality also??????

We want to move out of Ireland because we are tired of it. The country just doesn't float out boat anymore and we want a new path to follow.That said, we have to survive, we have to live, and want to enjoy a simple, but stable life.

Are there social work jobs out there? are we fighting against a discrimate system? is it really that hard to find work, buy a house?

Feeling very unsure now!

Guest stufi1997

Try not to panic...it's normal, i think everyone finds a post that freaks them at crunch time....I have seen loads of jobs in child/social services advertised lately in the advertiser but they're mainly down the Port Lincoln way as many of the jobs are. It's lovely down there but feels quite isolated compared to Adelaide, you have to take the ferry or fly....the drive is horrible. I'm sure there are plenty of jobs in Adelaide too.

As a SIR495 visa holder you are "resident" for tax purposes if you intend to stay.

Although you're right it's not a bed of roses and just because there's a "shortage" doesn't translate to actual jobs, we are foreigners trying to prove our worth to the locals after all.....Having said all that try not to let one persons experience taint things too much, although we've only been here 2 months our philosophy is if you want something badly enough, it'll happen. Good Luck Fiona

p.s..... it really is worth it

Guest Nick11

Hubby has had 5 good job offers - no one has ever asked what visa we're on.

I'm a primary teacher and getting a job here is virtually impossible even if you're an ozzie born and bred. It has nothing to do on which visa you're on.

As in most places - getting a job in adelaide is about who you know - not what you know

Guest Deb17

Antlet, I presume it was my doom and gloom post that put the wind up you.

If your hubby is a social worker don't worry - they ARE in demand, unlike teachers, and there are always loads of positions going. I know of a UK social worker that was able to get a permanent resident visa on the basis of her experience and qualifications and was snapped up by the SA government, now has secure job, own home by the beach etc. It really does depend on the type of work and experience you have. If they want your skills desperately enough you will get a job no problem and they won't discriminate about your visa.

Having said all that I'm glad I've made people sit up a little and question whether they are doing the right thing. I think, having read so many stories about how happy other people are with their lives out here, that we are just among the minority of unlucky ones. Although they say you make your own luck, some people, however hard they work, can find themselves galloping up diarrhoea drive without a saddle.

Hi Deb, yes it was your post, and you are right for voicing what can go wrong also. We never thought it was/is going to be easy but we do want to believe that we will find "something". Having got this far we want it to work out and will try everything we can to make it work, if not, then I guess we'll have to return to Ireland or the UK.

I really hope that your luck turns and that you do find something positive work wise and house, etc in Oz

Guest Deb17

Thanks for the encouragement. And really, don't fret. If and when you do get out here look us up. I hope I'm not as depressing in person as I sound on the forum. My hubby is Irish, (well he considers himself this, but comes from Belfast, so technically British!) I have a sister-in-law in Co. Cavan and a brother-in-law in Blackrock, Dublin and a million and a half relations in the north, as my hubby comes from a HUGE Irish family (12 siblings!) I have so many nieces and nephews...we lost track after 35!

Good luck with everything.

Deb x

Guest Nick11
Antlet, I presume it was my doom and gloom post that put the wind up you.

If your hubby is a social worker don't worry - they ARE in demand, unlike teachers, and there are always loads of positions going. I know of a UK social worker that was able to get a permanent resident visa on the basis of her experience and qualifications and was snapped up by the SA government, now has secure job, own home by the beach etc. It really does depend on the type of work and experience you have. If they want your skills desperately enough you will get a job no problem and they won't discriminate about your visa.

Having said all that I'm glad I've made people sit up a little and question whether they are doing the right thing. I think, having read so many stories about how happy other people are with their lives out here, that we are just among the minority of unlucky ones. Although they say you make your own luck, some people, however hard they work, can find themselves galloping up diarrhoea drive without a saddle.

Deb - I think you're right to post your doom and gloom.

Primary Teachers should be warned that isn't a job here for them - no matter what the government says. In 10 years they will be desperate for teachers - but what do we do til then!!!

Answers on a postcard please!

Guest Deb17

Yeah Nick, I agree with everything you say. I only wish I'd known about this forum three years ago and realized how hard it would be to get into teaching out here. I REALLY hate doing TRT work!!!

Thanks so much for earlier info about Stepping Stone centres. I have already e-mailed them a covering letter and my resume so fingers crossed I hear something from them next week if they like what they see.

Deb x

Guest Nick11
Yeah Nick, I agree with everything you say. I only wish I'd known about this forum three years ago and realized how hard it would be to get into teaching out here. I REALLY hate doing TRT work!!!

Thanks so much for earlier info about Stepping Stone centres. I have already e-mailed them a covering letter and my resume so fingers crossed I hear something from them next week if they like what they see.

Deb x

I knew it would be hard - but didn't realise how many teachers were coming over her.

Every other person seems to be a teacher!

Have only met one person who's gained permanent employment with Decs since coming over here! And that's because she was a special needs teacher who could sign.

Hate trt work - too old and past the point of caring to do it now!!!!

Will work somewhere where I am needed and appreciated!

Guest Deb17

Absolutely! Well said!

Gordon Bennett! We should start an underground movement to undermine further migration to Adelaide by teachers. (Or is that a bit cruel d'you reckon?) If we hang on in there by the skin of our teeth, perhaps as you say Nick, there may be a job for us in 10 years time (gulp!) Hell, I'll be nearly 50 by then!!!!

Guest caoimhe
My hubby is Irish, (well he considers himself this, but comes from Belfast, so technically British!) Deb x

We are from Belfast and ARE Irish - even have the passports to prove it