Knowledge of the IT industry out there in Oz?

My husband is a Computer Support Technician (2nd/ 3rd line support). I was wondering how easily he will get a job out there? He doesn't have a degree - just a diploma, but he has 10 yrs + experience. He currently works for CSC (Global company) but they are based mainly in Sydney out there so he will have to find a new employer.

Can anyone give us an estimate of wages and job availabilty? He has to support a family of 5 on this!

Thanks,

Jo xxx

My husband is a Computer Support Technician (2nd/ 3rd line support). I was wondering how easily he will get a job out there? He doesn't have a degree - just a diploma, but he has 10 yrs + experience. He currently works for CSC (Global company) but they are based mainly in Sydney out there so he will have to find a new employer.

Can anyone give us an estimate of wages and job availabilty? He has to support a family of 5 on this!

Thanks,

Jo xxx

Hi Jo

I emigrated to Adelaide in March 2007 on a skilled independent visa with my partner. I am a Senior Systems Administrator.

I secured a 10 month fulltime contract position at a University in my first week in Adelaide. However I found the University environment too restrictive as I am used to a more hands on approach and found there was no scope to utilise my skills and experience.

Luckily within 3 weeks I secured another job which is permanent fulltime on the same salary as I was on in the UK. I am still in this job and enjoy it.

As part of our emigration application my qualifications and skills had to be assessed by the Australian Computer Society. Through our emigration agents we paid additional money for an IT expert based in Australia to assist with the skills assessment, my references and he advised me how to set my CV out and the terminology to use for the Australian IT market which I think contributed to gaining employment quickly.

Adelaide is a small city so there will be less IT opportunities but we came to Adelaide because it was a smaller city and that is part of its charm.

The Universities often have IT jobs advertised on their websites so check them out to get a feel for whats out there and wages.

www.flinders.edu.au

www.adelaide.edu.au

www.unisa.edu.au

Hope this info is useful and if I can be anymore help just let me know.

Thanks for that - good to know! Mark has had his skills assessed by the TRA as he is a Computer Support Technician, which is assesed by them apparently!

In what way did you change your CV? We don't have a migration agent (lack of funds) so are doing this all ourselves - we need as much help as we can get :-)

Jo xxx

HAYS do a salary survey every year and the 2008 version is available on their website (hays.com.au). It covers a wide range of IT jobs (as well as other occupations) across Australia.

It might also be useful to contact some of the big IT recruitment agencies (Hays, Hudson, Talent) to get a view from them on current opportunities as alot of IT jobs aren't advertised and those that are advertised don't specify a salary.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for that - good to know! Mark has had his skills assessed by the TRA as he is a Computer Support Technician, which is assesed by them apparently!

In what way did you change your CV? We don't have a migration agent (lack of funds) so are doing this all ourselves - we need as much help as we can get :-)

Jo xxx

Hi Jo

I was advised to include a position profile, basically a description of the organisation I worked for, I worked for the same employer for 8 years. I was also advised to break each role down and then include a list of duties and responsibilities and then achievements.

I recently was involved on the interview panel for a Technical Support Officer, a senior technician role and was scheduled to interview 7 people and only 4 people turned up, so reliable people with good skills should stand a good chance and being English definitely helps.

At interview the organisations always ask what you know about the company, so make sure you do your research.

As for the wages, if I was supporting 5 people on my wages, we would definitely not be able to live in the house/area we do.

My salary is more or less the same as I earnt in the UK and the organisation I work for has spent a lot of money on me on a management course and technical courses, so I am pleased with my job and have had a very positive experience.

Just come with the right attitude and you should make a success of it.

• 2 weeks later...