An Ozzie appealing CV

antlet

Guest Hansonhouse

Hi

Last week, a lady, can't remember her name was advertising on here and she is offering a really good service. Informally she will review your CV and advise on the necessary changes to make it Oz compatible in exchange for purchasing an item from Amazon for her. I think she has quite a lot of experience in doing this type of thing and it sounds like a fair deal to me and worth investigating. I'm sure it was last weekend if you do a search under jobs etc?

Roz

Check out my resume site (see below); I'm happy to help.

Suzer

http://expatresumedoctor.blogspot.com/

My services will include:

a) A generic sample resume

b) Review of your resume, including suggestions on content, general proofing including grammar (which can be helpful for those who are non-native speakers of English)

c) Suggestions on where to begin looking for work (recruitment agencies specific to the industry you are looking to work in, local companies, etc)

Hi

Last week, a lady, can't remember her name was advertising on here and she is offering a really good service. Informally she will review your CV and advise on the necessary changes to make it Oz compatible in exchange for purchasing an item from Amazon for her. I think she has quite a lot of experience in doing this type of thing and it sounds like a fair deal to me and worth investigating. I'm sure it was last weekend if you do a search under jobs etc?

Roz

Thanks Roz:)

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there

Funnily enough, I am just about to put a posting on here about what to expect with the Adelaide market when job searching and this was something I was going to start with!

I have 10 years recruitment experience from the UK and about 3 months now in Adelaide and writing CVs is an art form.

We all know how to do it for the UK market, but Adelaide is different. The market here is very different from the other states - Adelaide is much more conservative and like things done a certain way.

There are websites which can help you - www.careerone.com.au and www.seek.com.au so you could read their advice pages to start with.

Employers here like to know all about education, training courses, specific duties and responsibilities in a role, who you reported into, career progession and so on. But they are not keen on short, sharp, shiney resumes (2 and 3 pages does not cut it!) - they want information and depth.

They are also big fans of covering letters to support your application - why do you think you are suitable for this role.

If you want any more help, then feel free to PM me.

All the best

Regs

Sas

:wubclub:

I'll play devil's advocate;) I'd definitely disagree with you on the bit about 2-3 pages not cutting it. It's very much about quality not quanity. But I would agree that yes cover letters are quite important. Then again, it does all vary based upon what type of work you are looking for. I know we have many builders on this site (I do CW & PPL insurance), people looking for temp roles, and other professionals, and it varies depending on this as well as if you are going through a temp agency, straight to the employer, etc.

Guest Libby1971

Not wishing to disagree with you Suzer but in my experience the longer stuff the better.

When I was n a temp position I asked for career advice and was told that the shortened version I was holding was not good enough for Adelaide as it did not give enough detail. I was advised to insert sections, add covering letters etc, all the stuff that Sas said.

Plus when I was applying for jobs in the UK I sent one copy of the application in. Here I have had to send multiple copies off with copies of certificates and qualifications etc attached.

It may well depend on which industry you are heading for. Sas has a lot of contacts with her position in recruitment so maybe Sas could say if all employers like the longer version or not.

Not wishing to disagree with you Suzer but in my experience the longer stuff the better.

When I was n a temp position I asked for career advice and was told that the shortened version I was holding was not good enough for Adelaide as it did not give enough detail. I was advised to insert sections, add covering letters etc, all the stuff that Sas said.

It all depends. 2-3 pages is enough if it gives the detail needed. I will agree you with that more detail, if relevant, is definitely needed but there's no point in making a resume excessively long if you could give the employer the same information more consisely.