License for Gas Fiiter

Guest bray family

Guest bray family

Hi All

Can anyone help?

I have passed a skills assessment by the TRA for Gas Fitter. :v_SPIN: I have now been in touch with The Office of Consumer and Business Affairs, OCBA ( http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/plumbers/index.html) and they are not very helpful. Their email reply was as follows.

Good Morning Terry

Thank you for your email.

A new process has been put in place for people from the UK who is looking at having a gas fitting registration in SA. You will need to contact VETASSESS; their web address is www.vetassess.com.au to have your trade skills assessed for licensing purposes before coming to SA. Once you have that, you can apply for a registration under supervision of a gas fitting worker. There will be additional 'gap' training required for you to obtain a registration which allows you to complete any gas fitting work, but the amount of gap training is not known until you have been assessed by VETASSESS.

I have spoken to VETASSESS who have told me that I have already had my skills assessed and to go back to OCBA.

The following day I rang back the OCBA, who now tell me I need a green certificate from the TRA as proof. I immediately contacted my agent who advised there is no green certificate. Only a black and white letter from the TRA with a registration number on it. The agent also confirmed that VETASSESS do not assess Gas Fitters.

There's me thinking i only need to show my Corgi Registration.

Is this normal for the South Australian Government to mess you about?

I am still no further with this licence.

Regards Terry Bray :arghh:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

It is not unusual for the different departments to not know the correct facts:arghh:.

The best way for you to find your info out is to read through old posts on here, then maybe pm the people already here doing that trade and ask how they did it, And then to keep ringing OCBA speaking to different people and ask for their names so they can refer back. You wouldnt believe the hassels I had just goign for my citizenship test (whole other story).

good luck youwill work it out in the end

sarah

Guest Perth Pom
Hi All

Can anyone help?

I have passed a skills assessment by the TRA for Gas Fitter. :v_SPIN: I have now been in touch with The Office of Consumer and Business Affairs, OCBA ( http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/plumbers/index.html) and they are not very helpful. Their email reply was as follows.

Good Morning Terry

Thank you for your email.

A new process has been put in place for people from the UK who is looking at having a gas fitting registration in SA. You will need to contact VETASSESS; their web address is www.vetassess.com.au to have your trade skills assessed for licensing purposes before coming to SA. Once you have that, you can apply for a registration under supervision of a gas fitting worker. There will be additional 'gap' training required for you to obtain a registration which allows you to complete any gas fitting work, but the amount of gap training is not known until you have been assessed by VETASSESS.

I have spoken to VETASSESS who have told me that I have already had my skills assessed and to go back to OCBA.

The following day I rang back the OCBA, who now tell me I need a green certificate from the TRA as proof. I immediately contacted my agent who advised there is no green certificate. Only a black and white letter from the TRA with a registration number on it. The agent also confirmed that VETASSESS do not assess Gas Fitters.

There's me thinking i only need to show my Corgi Registration.

Is this normal for the South Australian Government to mess you about?

I am still no further with this licence.

Regards Terry Bray :arghh:

Hi Mate

i can't comment on whether it is normal for the SA go't to mess you about, but here in WA. it is a nightmare of beurocracy and red tape.

Nobody seems to know where you need to go.

I am a plumber/gasfitter and I had to study full time for 5 weeks here in WA to get my gas license. CORGI means nothing here. it only gets you into the country via TRA, but your skills are not recognised by Oz licensing boards.

I think you should start by contacting TAFE (I presume they have TAFE in SA) as that is where you will need to study to gain your qualifications. Tafe are "normally" pretty helpful, and if you get through to the right person, they will be able to tell you which course you need to take, and when the next available course is. And you should be able to book yourself on the course.

GOOD LUCK MATE.

Mike

Guest bray family

Thanks Sarah, Ian, Mike and all those that have sent PM's

I have now several directions to try; I will get back to you all if I am successful.

Cheers

Terry

Guest Nicky, Alan and Kids

Hi hubby starts on Monday as a heating/breakdown engineer, they have taken him on based on his UK qualifications they did say that he might have to re-sit a test which costs approx $160,but will keep you posted. Hope this helps.

Nicky

Guest The Hadleys

Hi

Hope this helps, I encountered the same problems but my trade is slightly different I am a refrigeration engineer. I too was sent here there and everywere, but found SRS really helpful. click on the link below, may answer some of your questions.Good Luck!

www.work.sa.gov.au/Portals/2/SRS%20Trade%20Guidelines.pdf

Regards, Paul

Guest marty

The problem is that we build housing etc a lot diffrently as they do in the UK, for example the copper pipes are welded together rather than the yorkshire fittings used in the UK, I am in another trade and been here 30 years, when I first arrived I had trouble getting a job even though my quals were ok experince in Australian building was the problem, once I sat an exam desgned for my trade I had no problems, but I soon learnt not to tell my work colleges 'we did it diffrently in the UK"as they were quick to tell me your not there anymore.

OBCA are a little hard to deal with I know the problems we have just trying to work in another state but as far as I can tell you just need a Tradesmans Rights Certificate to show that you have your trade and you can deal with OCBA when you get here.

Good Luck