Lack of work

Guest Nicky, Alan and Kids

Hi is there anyone else struggling to get work, been here nearly 5 weeks and have registered with agents, applied for most jobs going but have not got anything back, I am over 13 years admin experience but that does not seem to count for much here, sorry for moaning but did not think it was going to be this hard.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Guest stufi1997

Me too............I've been trying to get a job now for 2 months...admittedly not with any real determination, not since Stuart got a job. I've registered with an agent and am away to have an interview tomorrow for another job but the only feedback I've had are jobs I've applied for directly out of the paper, not through this agency. The trouble is I've got retail and caring experience but no paper qualifications as such...they do like certificates here...Good luck with your hunting....you will get something..... just keep smiling!!

Guest ali@51

Hi I really do sympathise as it is a really hard time I know it stressed Morgan. It took him 7 weeks to find work and then another 6 befor his job started. Thier wasnt much communication from the agencyes and he only went for 1 propper interview. The only thing I can say is keep trying. Morgan has been patient and now finds himself in a job he is really enjoying and can see himself doing for a long time. I know their are also others who have found it quite hard to get a job in their chosen feild but are now in work one way or another.I hope things work out for you soon.

ali

Its Frustrating I know, I applied for a lot of jobs when I arrived and I even got a couple of interviews and then nothing, not a courtesy call, Zilch, all I wanted was some feedback

positive or negative. To make myself feel better I decided that I didn't want to work for a company that didn't have the presence of mind to call you back.

I ended up doing a 3 month temp contract in an ADMIN position which has since gone perm so although its not what I was looking to do I am much happier now. I would

keep at the Agencies and show your face and generally be a pain in the Ass, its a struggle but it will happen eventually...........................

Fingers crossed

Hi is there anyone else struggling to get work, been here nearly 5 weeks and have registered with agents, applied for most jobs going but have not got anything back, I am over 13 years admin experience but that does not seem to count for much here, sorry for moaning but did not think it was going to be this hard.

Anyone else in the same boat?

We arrived in Adelaide in April 2007 and it took me 10 weeks to secure a permanent admin job which I am still in. I have 19 years work experience in administrative and human resources roles and HR and Business and Finance qualifications to University level along with typing and Microsoft Office qualifications.

The job that I have is ok (and I am grateful to have a permanent job as it has enabled us to establish ourselves and buy a house) but I am capable of much more and feel my full skills and potential are not being utilised, so will hope to find something else.

I have found over here that they give a job the title of Office Manager and then when you actually read the duties you are on reception - in my experience that is a Receptionist not an Office Manager!

I applied for an admin job recently through an agency and had an interview with the agency, then went back to do Word, Excel and typing tests, then went to the company for an interview with 3 people, then went back for a 2nd interview with 4 people (including the Chief Executive), then they decided after all that they were going to readvertise as they had not found quite what they were looking for!

You apply for jobs and very rarely receive an acknowledgement or they do not appear to be going through a 'proper' recruitment process, the level of professionalism is not there in my experience - my partner who is a Senior IT professional was offered his job via text message!

Guest stufi1997

I really have found that....everyone takes so long to get back to you, you think, ok that job must've been filled weeks ago, just noone got back to you..........but no not here, Can't take anything forgranted, something will turn up I'm sure..................just stay positive!! I'm trying hmmmmm hmmm

I went for an interview at one of the Universities in Adelaide 2 days after arriving.

I mentioned that I had travelled on 2 buses to get to the interview and a lady on the interview panel could not believe that I did not have a car (this wasn't anything to do with the job as it was a HR admin role). The fact I had been in the country for only 2 days did not seem to register!

I explained to the panel of 3 that this was my first interview in Australia. At the end of the interview, the Head of HR handed me a business card of a recruitment agency and said I had done well at interview but suggested I contacted this agency!! I then received a letter a week later to say I had not been successful - surprise surprise as Cilla would say!

I think the job went to an internal candidate and as it was only a short term contract they were not expecting anyone else to apply, but had to go through the motions.

I went for another interview at another company as a HR Officer and the HR Manager left me sat in reception for 30 minutes and then when she came to collect me she made no reference to this fact and then proceded to tell me about how a lot of the recruitment was done in the pub and people got the job if they supported a certain AFL team, but they were trying to move away from that!!!!!

Thanks for all your replies,my job role in the UK was customer Service assistant, that covered general office admin, I have used word, excell and access and have gained certificates in Customer service and administration, I am also a qualified auditor.

At the moment not bothered what I do as long as I can get something.

Guest Nick11

We arrived on June 13th last year. Hubby signed up with lots of agencies - even did their health and safety training - never heard a thing in 13 months!

He started work on August 1st - was in the right place at the right time and got the job by going through the yellow pages!

Since then he has had 5 job offers from cvs sent over a year ago!

Unfortunately nothing ever happens quickly in oz!

We arrived on June 13th last year. Hubby signed up with lots of agencies - even did their health and safety training - never heard a thing in 13 months!

He started work on August 1st - was in the right place at the right time and got the job by going through the yellow pages!

Since then he has had 5 job offers from cvs sent over a year ago!

Unfortunately nothing ever happens quickly in oz!

My partner was contacted the other week by an agency he contacted over a year ago and never heard from to ask him if he was interested in a job in Canberra!

I have never had much luck with agencies and in my experience as they are often working on commission their objective is motivated by money rather than the best person for the job and representing your interests, so they are your best friend when they think they can place you and make money from you and the rest of the time you never hear from them.

Other people may have had good experiences, but agencies have never worked for me, I have always ultimately found a job through an advert in the newspaper and that is how my partner got his jobs in IT.

Guest stufi1997

Stuart got his current job by stalking the boss:err:....He phoned all the prospective employers in the area then seen one of them coming out of the paint shop one morning, when he went for the paper, so followed him and introduced himself;)...He got a phone call the next day offering him a job....Not entirely a conventional way of getting a job:biglaugh:But it did work..............

Chris applied for tons of jobs in weeks before we arrived and contacted lots of agencies. Only one has rang him back. Last week he looked in paper and found a ob identical to what he did in uk, got suzer to do his cv and has ust found out today hes got the job!!! I think the agencies are a waste of time to be honest!!

Loads of jobs going at my place especially if you are an engineer of some sort, please get in touch. There are also two well paid admin jobs up for grabs, one of which I think has been taken by a friend of mine. I work in the City. Send me your CV and I'll see what I can do.

It's not what you know, it's who you know so get networking.

Guest Bodie

Hi guys,

I share your frustration. I finished work in the UK on the 21/12/07; arrived in Adelaide on 11/01/08 and started work today 21/07/08. 7 months without an income has certainly tested our resolve at times and when you're in such a situation it's often difficult to maintain a positive out-look. However, after reading some of the other posts you can see that there is work out there and people willing to help you.

Guest moonraker1959

We have also been disapointed with the lack of return contact with agencies.Have enquired about several jobs and had no replies.Must admit I am concerned abit as since I've lived in the UK we've had not trouble at all getting a job!I guess we'll just have to wait and see when we get back there,abit nerve wracking though !!!

Im sort of finding adelaide to be who you know!! not what you know when its work related.

That appears to be the case for sure. Chris' job he knew alot of the uk companies they dealt with and their MDs im sure this is one of the reasons he was successful. It does stink i think, i was lucky in nursing they are so desperate it doesnt matter who you know :biglaugh:

Guest chippie74

Ive been here 10 months now and had 4 jobs not one job was advertised in the paper or on the net.2 jobs was through pia members (which im very thankfull) 1 job just walking on site,and the last cold calling with the yellow pages.Trying to put a possitive here to say there is jobs out there its just you have to do that bit more

Ive been here 10 months now and had 4 jobs not one job was advertised in the paper or on the net.2 jobs was through pia members (which im very thankfull) 1 job just walking on site,and the last cold calling with the yellow pages.Trying to put a possitive here to say there is jobs out there its just you have to do that bit more

How come you have had 4 jobs in 10 months?

Guest chippie74
How come you have had 4 jobs in 10 months?

hi jessica..1st of all im self employed,sub contractor..1st i left was for better money,2nd i left because it was run by empty heads no-one new what we was doing.the 3rd job just came to an end no more work!! im on the 4th job now which is only 3-4 days aweek temp!!

Network network network. Sign up for some temping work - even if it's not what you want to do in the long run, it gets your face known, you get to know the company, and the people within it. Maybe sign up for a course or two at the WEA (adult education centre) and while you're there, network more! Bear in mind that Customer Service is in its infancy (if it's even been born yet) here in Adelaide, so may well be a foreign concept to many! Do some volunteer work http://www.volunteeringsa.org.au/GroupHomepage.aspx?GroupID=608

Adelaide really is about who you know so if you are new in town, it's up to you to get yourself known by as many people as you can as quickly as you can!

Oh, and did I mention networking??

hi jessica..1st of all im self employed,sub contractor..1st i left was for better money,2nd i left because it was run by empty heads no-one new what we was doing.the 3rd job just came to an end no more work!! im on the 4th job now which is only 3-4 days aweek temp!!

hey chippie i do insurance for sub-contractors. shout out if you want a good deal!