worried husband

Guest deeandsi

Guest deeandsi

Hi there we have had our tra passed, im a hairdresser and my husbands a police officer, we was going to try to move to oz on my husbands job, but seems to take a long time and u have to wait before the recruitment departments want more British police, so we decided to apply on my job. But he is a little worried about what job he could do instead of policeman, we know he could apply for oz police, but is unsure if he wants to do the job. He is worried about earning enough money and if we would struggle to start new life comfortably. Is there any such thing like tax credits in oz, and can poms apply for it.

:arghh:

Guest Rachael

Hi,

I'm not too sure about tax credits etc. All I know is that you cannot claim benefits e.g. be on the dole for 2 years after registering with Centre Link. We were loking to get a bit of extra cash while James was looking for a job but couldn't do this. I'm pretty sure you can get child allowance but we don't have a child. Yet!

R

Guest mubley

Had to call into Christies Beach police station a couple of monhts ago and saw a poster indicating they had vacancies for police officers. Might pay for your husband to keep an open mind on whether or not he wants to stay in that profession. See link:

http://www.police.sa.gov.au/sapol/careers/police_officer_careers/recruitment_process.jsp

If you get a Pemanent Residency visa, you'll get the equivalent of child benefit / tax credits as soon as you land - and that's linked to your income. You'll also be eligible to apply for (means tested) rental assistance...

If your on a temporary visa, I don't think you're eligible for either.

Hi there,

I came over with my family on the 2007/2008 SAPOL recruitment. I got offered a place on June the 1st and could have been on the sept intake (which I think is very quick). As it happens I came over in Dec 07 and was on the Jan intake. I believe they will be recruiting again at the end of this year and the intakes will probably be Sept/Oct 2009 and March 2010. I'm not sure how long it takes to get a visa for your job. What you could also think about is getting hubby to apply and then coming over as soon as he gets the thumbs up. That would give you time to look for a job before he even started. Just a thought!!!

I spent 10 weeks at the Academy, which believe was long enough. If you come on your visa and then your hubby decides to join the Police here he will have to do 9 months at the Academy. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If he doesn't know anyone else in the job here and he want to find out some inside info get him to pm me. I love it here, the job is different but that Ok. The waether is fab, even the winter has been Ok despite the rain. And the lifestyle is second to none.

If you look at previous threads there are a couple of hairdressers going home coz they cant get work. At least if your hubby had a job to come to it would be a good start. Thats not to say you wont find work as a hairdresser coz there are plenty that have. What i'm saying is that you could have you cake and eat it. Hubby does not have to stay in the job forever if he comes with SAPOL but you do get permenant resident status which also makes you eligible for the centrelink (DSS)beneifts

I may not stay in the job forever but it was nice to have something secure while hubby looked for a job. It also took the pressure off and he didn't have to take the first thing he was offered.

Karen

I have to be honest and say that if you were relying on your wage as a hairdresser, you'd probably be back in the UK within a few months! There have been quite a few threads about this and Karen is right to say that a few people have either gone or are in the process of going due to the low wages paid to hairdressers. I believe the average wage is about $17.00 per hour which is very low. I think you might have to sweet talk your husband! Good luck and welcome to PIA by the way!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi there we have had our tra passed, im a hairdresser and my husbands a police officer, we was going to try to move to oz on my husbands job, but seems to take a long time and u have to wait before the recruitment departments want more British police, so we decided to apply on my job. But he is a little worried about what job he could do instead of policeman, we know he could apply for oz police, but is unsure if he wants to do the job. He is worried about earning enough money and if we would struggle to start new life comfortably. Is there any such thing like tax credits in oz, and can poms apply for it.

:arghh:

I dont know your ages or circumstances, I got perm res visa as a hairdresser. The advise you have been given so far is good. Liz is right around $17 an hour. There appears to be lots of work for hairdressers and there is sometimes, but the work could be casual and part time.

If you have the time I would come on the sapol thingy, he can always change after a while. At least its a job he can do and straight away

sarah