Any sales experts?

Guest manykids!

Guest manykids!

Hi, Just wondering if anyone out there works in Sales positions and could give some advise. My hubby is a uk sales manger for a large chocolate company at present, but we are looking to move to Aus - and Adelaide area, do you know if there are many large companies ( food ones mainly) based around here and if so is there much scope for good middle / senior management jobs?

Thanks in advance for any help /ideas!!

Zoe, Riche and the boys x4! :jiggy::chatterbox::goofy::v_SPIN:

Guest manykids!

P.S. Why have I got a tick on the rating on my previous post -I can assure you that I didn't put it there myself!!!!

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Guest Lulujim

Hi - Hope this reply is of SOME help?? But I met a girl a few months ago who grew up in SA, and her family still live there. Her dad is an Area Manager fro Schweppes - she says they are the same as Cadburys. So there must be work out there under that comapny.. if it's not the one your OH works for now I'm sure with his relative experience he'd be ok? If it is Cadbury - will they help with getting him an interview/transfer to the SA part of the company? :)

Alexis

My husband is in sales. He was in a great job in uk lots of perks no comission salary based etc. If you look on the jobs sites there are tons of sales job but he must have applied for about 50 jobs!! The agencies are useless but the work is there (not sure about your sector) > He has had to take a pay drop and works longer hours but hes got a job now. I think its like most industries here in adelaide its not what you know it who you know, the major sales recruitment agenciies never even bothered to reply:shocked:.

On a different note, a family friend has a job in sydney (a brit too) working for schwepps and i beleive they are a good company to work for. He is not in sales though but it might be worth sending his cv to loads of companys and cold calling, hope this helps xx Also the big supermarkets here are coles woolworths and fooland , might be worth seing if they have any senior management sales job???

Guest Medindie Delight

There are a couple of FMCG companies around, Smiths Chips is the largest based in Regency Park, San Remo in Windsor Gardens, and Haigh's Chocolates, Parkside....

Cadbury have a massive manufacturing site but that's in Melbourne.

I'm not in FMCG but there isn't that many jobs around, but you could be lucky as there won't be any people with the experience of your partner either so he could be lucky and arrive to an opening and get snapped up.

I know in Project Management or Logistics there are very few expereinced / educated applicants in Adelaide and our positions go unfilled for months.

And i agree with everyone else, the Recruitment Agencies are poor... We now handle our own recruitment due to the ineptitude of Agencies

Guest manykids!

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies - much appreciated! Yes we are totally mad, in that we have four boys aged 6 yrs and under, hence the need for wanting a new life with lots of open space for them to cause chaos in!

Unfortunately the company my husband works for is global -but typically no offices in Australia so no transfer option. We have been trying to get 457 sponsored job for last few months - anywhere in Oz but have applied for what seems like hundreds of jobs and every recruitment agent ( and several companies) in Australia must have his Cv but no joy unfortunatley so far. He did make it down to last 3 for a job at Cadburys but they decided sponsoring someone from UK was too much hassle so went for a local guy which was bit gutting!

Think we will definitly apply for 475 visa now but obviously having so many children to support we need to make sure there will be job options for him wherever we go!!. Will take a look at those companies mentioned and send some more CV s across -something I am very practised at by now

Anyway good luck everyone and thanks for being so friendly!

Zoe

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hello there Zoe

What are your exact circumstances - are you looking for a company to sponsor you to come and work here, or do you already have a visa?

I work for an executive recruitment company in Adelaide so may be able to help in some way, although I personally recruit accountants, but a colleague looks after sales/marketing.

Agencies have come under fire quite a bit on here recently, which try as I might, I do take personally (although I should just shrug it off, but I am not that sort of person). I endeavour to help all people and if I cannot, I let them know who would be best placed to help them.

Recruitment agencies are exactly that, recruitment agencies. We are not visa experts, resettlement experts, or a free counselling service for anything which is not recruitment related. There is a huge skill shortage here in SA and in fact, worldwide for various skills. I know that there are many people on this site, who cannot find work for whatever reason. But please remember that just because you emigrate, and your skill is on a skill shortage list, does not guarantee you a job when you get here. Think about all the companies recruiting and the risk they take by employing someone who has just moved here, so sometimes you will miss out on a role because it goes to a local - can you blame them?

Zoe, I would love to offer your husband some help but be warned that a lot of FMCG companies do not have their head office functions in Adelaide, so even though there is a presence here, there may not be an exact role for him. Please feel free to PM me.

Also remember how many people are emigrating to SA every day from all over the world - I must receive about 30 CVs per day from overseas candidates. So if you send your resume to an agency here without information about when you are arriving, your visa status - they may not reply to you when they have CVs of other candidates who are already here.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit, but please remember that my help comes from a helpful heart and I hope that no-one takes any offence. I have over 10 years recruitment experience but I will not make apologies for the whole of the recruitment industry in SA, but remember they work differently here - just think about all the CVs which arrive everyday....

As always, if you would like any more assistance, please feel free to get in touch via a PM or through the thread.

Good luck

Sas

:wubclub:

Guest Lulujim

hi Zak - Noticed you used to live in Sutton Coldfield. .. we lived there for a couple of years until September 2007. Whereabouts were you?

Also (Zak - and Sas if you don't mind) - I noticed your comment about the need for Project Managers. My OH is a manager and is thinking about doing the Prince 2 course before we get to Oz.. is this qualification recognised there?

We are coming over in Oct/Nov for a reccie - is it worth him meeting with recruitment agencies so when he sees a job he wants to apply for - he's already been seen? And will it also help him narrow his search and be at the fore-front of the agents' minds!!?

I realsie until we have visa in hand we might not even be looked at, but I'm hoping by Oct/Nov we should have a CO???!

Any advice, from anyone, would be great thank you! :err:

Hello there Zoe

What are your exact circumstances - are you looking for a company to sponsor you to come and work here, or do you already have a visa?

I work for an executive recruitment company in Adelaide so may be able to help in some way, although I personally recruit accountants, but a colleague looks after sales/marketing.

Agencies have come under fire quite a bit on here recently, which try as I might, I do take personally (although I should just shrug it off, but I am not that sort of person). I endeavour to help all people and if I cannot, I let them know who would be best placed to help them.

Recruitment agencies are exactly that, recruitment agencies. We are not visa experts, resettlement experts, or a free counselling service for anything which is not recruitment related. There is a huge skill shortage here in SA and in fact, worldwide for various skills. I know that there are many people on this site, who cannot find work for whatever reason. But please remember that just because you emigrate, and your skill is on a skill shortage list, does not guarantee you a job when you get here. Think about all the companies recruiting and the risk they take by employing someone who has just moved here, so sometimes you will miss out on a role because it goes to a local - can you blame them?

Zoe, I would love to offer your husband some help but be warned that a lot of FMCG companies do not have their head office functions in Adelaide, so even though there is a presence here, there may not be an exact role for him. Please feel free to PM me.

Also remember how many people are emigrating to SA every day from all over the world - I must receive about 30 CVs per day from overseas candidates. So if you send your resume to an agency here without information about when you are arriving, your visa status - they may not reply to you when they have CVs of other candidates who are already here.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit, but please remember that my help comes from a helpful heart and I hope that no-one takes any offence. I have over 10 years recruitment experience but I will not make apologies for the whole of the recruitment industry in SA, but remember they work differently here - just think about all the CVs which arrive everyday....

As always, if you would like any more assistance, please feel free to get in touch via a PM or through the thread.

Good luck

Sas

Sas no-one expects you to apologise for all recruitment agencies in SA, when a person has 20yrs experience in their field rings an agency 10 times and they never ring him back you start to wonder if they really do want to recruit people.(this wasnt your agency bw he never had any dealing with talent 2 as they didnt have a sales division then) Chris must have applied for jobs with every agency in sa lol , and only one rang him and wouldnt put him forward for a job as he was over qualified. In the end he got a job from the paper and the company he works for said they had been advertising for 3 months with an agency with no luck and i quote " they are a waste of time" is what his boss said, im sure there must be good ones out there, hopefully this was just our own expeirence and wont reflect other peoples :) as you say they must recieve tons of cvs and applications , its just so frustrating and disheartening at times x

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Also (Zak - and Sas if you don't mind) - I noticed your comment about the need for Project Managers. My OH is a manager and is thinking about doing the Prince 2 course before we get to Oz.. is this qualification recognised there?

We are coming over in Oct/Nov for a reccie - is it worth him meeting with recruitment agencies so when he sees a job he wants to apply for - he's already been seen? And will it also help him narrow his search and be at the fore-front of the agents' minds!!?

Hi Lulujim

any training you can get in the UK before coming out is a bonus, so go for it.

If you are coming over on a reccie it may well be worth meeting with agencies, at least that way they know your skills and can hopefully line up interviews for when you arrive for good.

Let me know if you want any more help!

Regs

Sas

Guest Guzzler&Sas

sorry but not sure how to double quote a posting yet!

Sas no-one expects you to apologise for all recruitment agencies in SA

Clare, that was my whole point, I make no apology for the whole recruitment industry in SA ... :wubclub:

but there are over 350 agencies in SA and many of these are not registered and are one-man-band types who really look for the quick fix and do not work to any type of standards.

Unfortunately though, this happens the whole over, but in the UK you are used to the brand names and know who you think you can trust but over here the names are all different and you could be sending your details to anyone!

All I am trying to do, is ask people to see things from the other side of the fence occassionally and not make fast impressions and remember that there are a few good ones out there!

There is very low unemployment in SA, so both employers and those looking for work, feel very disgruntled when they can't fill a role and when you can't find a job!

Cheers guys

Sas

Guest Lulujim
Hi Lulujim

any training you can get in the UK before coming out is a bonus, so go for it.

If you are coming over on a reccie it may well be worth meeting with agencies, at least that way they know your skills and can hopefully line up interviews for when you arrive for good.

Let me know if you want any more help!

Regs

Sas

Hi Sas,

Thank you so much for your reply. :) We will defintely be in contact with you nearer the time to make an appointment with your agency. He has just received an offer from Woolworths today for a Store Manager position, but ideally wanted to be out of retail to free up weekends..

Hope to meet you later on in the year, Alexis