feeling fed up!

Beanbear

:arghh:

Am going to have to have a rant, as I'm feeling quite fed up. I have applied for a few teaching jobs lately and haven't heard back from most of them. One gave me a phone interview and then hasn't been back in touch, so I obviously haven't made the short list.

I know that is has been debated before but coming over as a teacher is so difficult if you are not keen on temporary relief teaching, or moving to the country for a stint. I am feeling very sorry for myself.

In our first few months here I got quite fed up as the process of registering to be a teacher was quite difficult and lengthy. There also seemed little prospect of work at the end of it. Since then I have been tutoring in schools and felt much more positive, but the idea of going back to the real hardship we faced when first here surviving on one wage again is not thrilling.

I notice that SA have taken teaching off their list as an occupation that they will sponsor you for on SIR visa - about bloody time! It was misleading to ever suggest there was a skills shortage in this area. Amongst the teachers I work with in the state system most think the system of employment in teaching here sucks.:realmad::realmad:

Perhaps I should think about spending a big chunk of our equity on retraining for a new career - would have to pay international fees. I don't know what to do for the best?

Any suggestions welcome - don't worry about suggesting a large glass of wine, am on the case there!;)

I know it's a bit of a down to keep getting knockbacks, but the fact you are doing some work means you are gathering Aus experience. Just keep trying. Schools should start advertising soon for next year and DECS also reviews their positions for next year. I think when the new grads register they give them a score etc and then offer places. There are a lot of teachers on annual or shorter contracts. But keep plugging away, apply for everything and remember when applying to Privates sell any other skills you may have, they like staff to participate in extracurricular activities, like drama , music, sport etc. anything. It will happen for you eventually, just try to be positive and especially if you get to interview.

Guest SA Great
I know it's a bit of a down to keep getting knockbacks, but the fact you are doing some work means you are gathering Aus experience. Just keep trying. Schools should start advertising soon for next year and DECS also reviews their positions for next year. I think when the new grads register they give them a score etc and then offer places. There are a lot of teachers on annual or shorter contracts. But keep plugging away, apply for everything and remember when applying to Privates sell any other skills you may have, they like staff to participate in extracurricular activities, like drama , music, sport etc. anything. It will happen for you eventually, just try to be positive and especially if you get to interview.

Well said Rachiegarlo (as Usual!!). A friend of mine finished Uni and her only chance was to work in the country. Instead she went to the private schools and got in straight away. Adelaide isn't the easiest city in the world to get a job, my wife struggled for years and ended up retraining to become a nurse, but perserverance quite often pays off. Good luck.

I think the difficult thing is that no response just feels like a personal rejection. It's why job searchers always feel quite depressed about their situation i guess. The posts I've applied for have been ones for the next school year. I have also emphasised my extensive extra-curricular experience etc. I know that I haven't applied for many yet and perseverance is the way, but I think that not feeling absolutely sure I want to do it all but having to, because: a) it's what I'm trained to do and b) we need the money if we are to get a mortgage, means that it's quite hard to keep positive.

I know from the other thread doing the rounds that jobs and lack thereof are what often seem to make people return to the UK. I'm determined this won't be us.

Beanbear,

I'm in school leadership. Please PM me and I'll do anything I can to help you out. eg low-downs on recruitment processes, application writing (there is a particular SA context), appointment protocols, the SA curriculum etc. I posted two detailed replies earlier but pc crashed and post didn't get sent!!

Happy to help. Good luck.

Mark