Nurses already in Adelaide

Guest happy feet

Guest happy feet

Just a quick question!!!!

when you first start working, do you get a full induction? BLS, IV meds, Cannulation and bloods and how things work out here?

I have only been qualified since march 08 and have a job a RAH, but have not soooooo far got all thesed under my belt! Do i need them before i go ?:arghh:

Thanks for any replies

Cara xxx

You will get all that at your orientarion hopefully. also very few nurses on the wards do Cannulation here. I seem to remember when I was at the RAH, the nurse only ever took blood if bloods were required at 6am in the morning. Of course nurses do access central lines and arterial lines for blood samples. Basically all IV drugs are checked with another nurse. DDAs(morphine etc) have to be checked with another RN. When you get there see if they still have an educator overseeing the graduates nurses( these are in their first year out) and you may be able to attend education sessions etc. Don't worry too much, just ask people, they would rather you did and learned that way, than to learn from making a mistake. Be up front about your experience.

i had 3 days supernumarry and still waiting for induction which wont be til nov now. Nurses cannulate where i work, they are called gelcos and you need to do the aussie competancy, which i think stinks considering you hve to be watched 5 times, when i have been doing them for 10 yrs and did a weeks long stint at christies being trained (oncology hospital).

heard nowt about BLS, the defibs here are not automated so back to the old ones in uk (where i work at least dont know about public), reminds me to chase that up and manual handling too!

Not started work yet but have a 2 week induction programme which everyone has to attend regardless of experience and also allocated a mentor for 12 weeks. Sounds a bit over kill as i have been qualified for 15 years all acute but would rather that than none.

Hi

I work at the RAH and you will get a full orienatation and they also get you to do a basic maths test during the orientation. I took blood and cannulated in the UK however can't here untill I get my skills accreditated. I have found the support really excellent on the ward and you will be supernumary for the first week. Everybody is so friendly on the ward I work and they are only to happy to help.

If you have any other concerns or questions pM me and I will try to help

Kris

• 2 years later...