what do aussie bosses look for

Guest darren alley

Guest darren alley

can any body tell me what potential employers look for when sending in a cv and is job searching the same as in the uk i dont what to start sending a out cv's if they are worded all wrong if anyone has any advice that will be great. all the jobs i have had here i have got via word of mouth.

cheers

darren

Guest ReadyPenny

HI

There is a "CV Doctor" on here, think here name is Suzer, look her up and send her a PM, she will update it for you Aussie style. Have reads lots of posts recommending her.

Hope this helps

Mandy

Guest darren alley
HI

There is a "CV Doctor" on here, think here name is Suzer, look her up and send her a PM, she will update it for you Aussie style. Have reads lots of posts recommending her.

Hope this helps

Mandy

Thanks i will do that ,nice to know there will be some fellow mancunians over there.

darren

Guest Greg and Karen
can any body tell me what potential employers look for when sending in a cv and is job searching the same as in the uk i dont what to start sending a out cv's if they are worded all wrong if anyone has any advice that will be great. all the jobs i have had here i have got via word of mouth.

cheers

darren

hi darren

the advice i got from an employment agent here was keep the resume (that's what they call it here, not cv) short and punchy (2 pages max) using headings like this:

1. personal details (name, address etc)

2. key strengths/personal achievements - eg what are you good at, what have you done?

3. career/job history

4. education

I've been told they are big on cover letters here, so send a cover letter with your resume and use it to sell yourself. the cover letter is just as important as the resume, (first impressions count). make it very clear in your letter that you are free to work in australia or they will run a mile.

i'm not an expert in this area but this what I've been told - others here may have different or better advice. I'd also say don't bull**** (they'll smell it a mile away) but at the same time believe in yourself because UK skills are highly regarded here. obviously a lot depends on what sort of job you're going for.

good luck.

cheers,

greg

Guest darren alley
hi darren

the advice i got from an employment agent here was keep the resume (that's what they call it here, not cv) short and punchy (2 pages max) using headings like this:

1. personal details (name, address etc)

2. key strengths/personal achievements - eg what are you good at, what have you done?

3. career/job history

4. education

I've been told they are big on cover letters here, so send a cover letter with your resume and use it to sell yourself. the cover letter is just as important as the resume, (first impressions count). make it very clear in your letter that you are free to work in australia or they will run a mile.

i'm not an expert in this area but this what I've been told - others here may have different or better advice. I'd also say don't bull**** (they'll smell it a mile away) but at the same time believe in yourself because UK skills are highly regarded here. obviously a lot depends on what sort of job you're going for.

good luck.

cheers,

greg

thanks greg

thats great advice i will bear it in mind we are quite a bit off the visa yet. but we are going to a job expo in leeds so i wanted to take a few copies on spec, you never know

cheers

darren

Guest Greg and Karen
thanks greg

thats great advice i will bear it in mind we are quite a bit off the visa yet. but we are going to a job expo in leeds so i wanted to take a few copies on spec, you never know

cheers

darren

good luck with the visa, I'm sure you don't need it

all the best,

greg

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there

I work for a executive recruitment consultancy here in Adelaide and some good advice given in posts. I would like to point out a few extras though ...

Adelaide is a very conservative market compared to other states in Oz, so depending on what your skill set is - short punchy CVs do work (if you are a tradie) but if you are white collar, then they like long histories and detail in CVs.

Good to get the advice/help of the CV doctor, but there are also lots of websites you can Ozzie-style your CV from. Or by simply writing a good UK style CV, you are half way there. Don't under estimate your own capabilities when it comes to writing a CV, it is not as hard as you think.

Remember that household names of companies in the UK may not hold any bearing here, so when you list your employers name, you may want to put a sentance or two about them, what they did .... Telstra, who knew what they did before they moved here and Ozzies are the same with UK companies. We might take it for granted that everyone will know who Royal SunAlliance is, but they don't have a clue here - so explain.

Key skills/responsibilities are good and try to outline what you did a bit rather than just putting in bullett points.

As a migrant, it is important to put your visa status on your CV and be prepared to take qualifications, references, passport etc along to interviews - these are all very important and show you are prepared and will put your head and shoulders in front of other applicants. Just because your skill is on the list, does not guarantee you a job here .... you must be positive, be willing to go that extra mile and prove to any employer that you are worth this job.

REMEMBER, GETTING YOUR CV AND COVERING LETTER RIGHT, WILL GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR - but then you have the interview to get through.

Good luck

Sas

:wubclub:

Guest darren alley
Hi there

I work for a executive recruitment consultancy here in Adelaide and some good advice given in posts. I would like to point out a few extras though ...

Adelaide is a very conservative market compared to other states in Oz, so depending on what your skill set is - short punchy CVs do work (if you are a tradie) but if you are white collar, then they like long histories and detail in CVs.

Good to get the advice/help of the CV doctor, but there are also lots of websites you can Ozzie-style your CV from. Or by simply writing a good UK style CV, you are half way there. Don't under estimate your own capabilities when it comes to writing a CV, it is not as hard as you think.

Remember that household names of companies in the UK may not hold any bearing here, so when you list your employers name, you may want to put a sentance or two about them, what they did .... Telstra, who knew what they did before they moved here and Ozzies are the same with UK companies. We might take it for granted that everyone will know who Royal SunAlliance is, but they don't have a clue here - so explain.

Key skills/responsibilities are good and try to outline what you did a bit rather than just putting in bullett points.

As a migrant, it is important to put your visa status on your CV and be prepared to take qualifications, references, passport etc along to interviews - these are all very important and show you are prepared and will put your head and shoulders in front of other applicants. Just because your skill is on the list, does not guarantee you a job here .... you must be positive, be willing to go that extra mile and prove to any employer that you are worth this job.

REMEMBER, GETTING YOUR CV AND COVERING LETTER RIGHT, WILL GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR - but then you have the interview to get through.

Good luck

Sas

:wubclub:

thanks sas

thats brilliant advice, but i think i will have to do a u.k style c.v for now i have just found out i am being laid off

thanks again

darren